Easy to install, high RF limit convertible needed!

MaddieMae

I'm hoping you can help me make a decision. I've been researching for months and I think I'm starting to drive my hubby crazy and I've rendered myself indecisive:eek:

My daughter is almost 6 months old and we are planning to transfer her to a convertible seat in about a month once she is sitting and the weather is nice (we live in WI). She is currently in a Britax B-Safe. She is 90% in height and 80% in weight - she is a chunk!

I just ordered a Diono Radian RXT for my car. I like the safety features, the extended RF capabilities (esp. given her high height/weight percentages), and the lower profile for easy boarding.

I need a convertible for hubby's 2011 GMC Sierra Crew cab. I would like it to last as long as the Radian rear facing - I would not want her to start FF in one vehicle before the other and I really don't want to have to buy multiple convertibles because she grows out of them. I have almost 100% decided not to get a Radian for his truck because we will use this seat if the grandparents need a seat for a day, plus it's a work truck, so it might end up getting uninstalled frequently to haul stuff. So, I want something lighter weight and easier to install.

Here's what I'm looking for:

1. - High RF weight/height limits - similar to Radian
2. - Easy to install - possible grandparent usage
3. - Lighter weight than a Radian due to moving/uninstalling
4. - Easy loading - I've heard some of those higher sided seats are hard to get a toddler in and out of (until they can climb in themselves) Also, the truck is higher up so this is important.
5. - Comfort

Money really isn't a huge concern, I just want a safe, comfy seat that's easy to install and will keep her RF for as long as possible. These are the seats I've been looking at and can't decide on. Would love feedback and/or other suggestions:

1. - Chicco Nextfit - of course it's not out yet, so there aren't a ton of reviews yet, but it looks pretty awesome.
2. - Clek Foonf - a little more than I'd like to spend, but will do it if it seems to be the best for the situation
3. - Maxi Cosi Pria 70 - I actually have the new style (without tinyfit) sitting in a box in my closet and am thinking of sending it back. I LOVE the cushy padding on it. My main concern is that the headrest seems narrower than others I've seen. My daughter's head is huge (90%) so I'm concerned that she might not fit as she grows. Also, their website does not list a whole lot of info on the safety features - "revolutionay side impact protection" and "flex tech energy management" - but no details.
4. Peg Perego - Actually had this, but sent it back because the Pria seemed way more comfy. Still an option though since it has a 45 lb. RF limit. And I love the new fushia/black seat!

Would love feedback on any of these - pros, cons, or other suggestions. I really need to make a decision!! :) Thanks!

ADS

MaddieMae

I have the Infiniti color in my thread but the other thread is the Gemini (purple). BRU has both in store now.

Thanks, I did not know that - I live over an hour away from a BRU so I was going off what their website says (still says pre-order). I might have to make a trip there this weekend to check it out.

Still would love any feedback on my list of seats. Is the Nextfit everybody's new favorite? Now I'm questioning my Radian purchase!!

lauti

I like my Pria. Mine is installed forward facing but the headrest doesn't bother my DS at all. The seat looks super comfy and the integrated cup holder is nice (though I know not important to everyone)

Kel

I have an RXT. It's a great seat. It has quirks, and that's not good for everyone. Mine installs soooo easy in my van, it crazy. Not every ones so lucky. It's low profile, easy to load big kids into, and you really can't beat the leg room.

If your little one continues with her height, you'll probably be glad you ordered the RXT.

jubgulia

I love the Pria (cushiness, legroom, and the headrest) except for a couple things. My son is small, but has a large, wide head because of his bone/collagen disorder and large heads running in the family (like 90-97% large). He's only just turning 3, but his head is not fitting well between the air cushions anymore. I have to wedge it back there and if he pulls it out to look around he can't get it all the way back again and falls asleep with his heavy head hanging down. It pins his ears forward sometimes too. Secondly, the headrest cover is not removable for washing (he sweats a lot). These may not be problems for typical children, but they are for us so I've just replaced it with a Foonf and am very happy with that decision thus far.

MaddieMae

I love the Pria (cushiness, legroom, and the headrest) except for a couple things. My son is small, but has a large, wide head because of his bone/collagen disorder and large heads running in the family (like 90-97% large). He's only just turning 3, but his head is not fitting well between the air cushions anymore. I have to wedge it back there and if he pulls it out to look around he can't get it all the way back again and falls asleep with his heavy head hanging down. It pins his ears forward sometimes too. Secondly, the headrest cover is not removable for washing (he sweats a lot). These may not be problems for typical children, but they are for us so I've just replaced it with a Foonf and am very happy with that decision thus far.

Thanks, that's helpful. I do think her head will end up being too big so I'm going to return the Pria.

I called two BRU stores around here and they do NOT have the Nextfit in stock :( I was really looking forward to going this weekend to play with it.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I still wouldn't rule out a Britax, I know they catch a lot of heck for being half an inch shorter than they used to be, but they are EASY to install and deal with. Here's a pretty good overview of one in use and it's safety features http://carseatblog.com/6527/britax-marathon-70-review-part-ii-with-lots-of-pics/
Also, the 1 inch limit on this seat is comparable to the 1.5 inch limit on the Radian (ie, the top of the head must be at least those distances from the top of the seat back), so FFing at the same time, at 3+, will be doable (if you want to rearface to 4+, maybe consider something even taller like the Evenflo Sureride). Britax also has anti-rebound protection like the Radian for larger RF kiddos, which other seats do not have (ie, top tethers for rearfacing. First Years True Fit and Foonf have anti-rebound bars, so those might be other choices, though TF only has a 35lb RF limit).

stephpook

I'm hoping you can help me make a decision. I've been researching for months and I think I'm starting to drive my hubby crazy and I've rendered myself indecisive:eek:

My daughter is almost 6 months old and we are planning to transfer her to a convertible seat in about a month once she is sitting and the weather is nice (we live in WI). She is currently in a Britax B-Safe. She is 90% in height and 80% in weight - she is a chunk!

I just ordered a Diono Radian RXT for my car. I like the safety features, the extended RF capabilities (esp. given her high height/weight percentages), and the lower profile for easy boarding.

I need a convertible for hubby's 2011 GMC Sierra Crew cab. I would like it to last as long as the Radian rear facing - I would not want her to start FF in one vehicle before the other and I really don't want to have to buy multiple convertibles because she grows out of them. I have almost 100% decided not to get a Radian for his truck because we will use this seat if the grandparents need a seat for a day, plus it's a work truck, so it might end up getting uninstalled frequently to haul stuff. So, I want something lighter weight and easier to install.

Here's what I'm looking for:

1. - High RF weight/height limits - similar to Radian
2. - Easy to install - possible grandparent usage
3. - Lighter weight than a Radian due to moving/uninstalling
4. - Easy loading - I've heard some of those higher sided seats are hard to get a toddler in and out of (until they can climb in themselves) Also, the truck is higher up so this is important.
5. - Comfort

Money really isn't a huge concern, I just want a safe, comfy seat that's easy to install and will keep her RF for as long as possible. These are the seats I've been looking at and can't decide on. Would love feedback and/or other suggestions:

1. - Chicco Nextfit - of course it's not out yet, so there aren't a ton of reviews yet, but it looks pretty awesome.
2. - Clek Foonf - a little more than I'd like to spend, but will do it if it seems to be the best for the situation
3. - Maxi Cosi Pria 70 - I actually have the new style (without tinyfit) sitting in a box in my closet and am thinking of sending it back. I LOVE the cushy padding on it. My main concern is that the headrest seems narrower than others I've seen. My daughter's head is huge (90%) so I'm concerned that she might not fit as she grows. Also, their website does not list a whole lot of info on the safety features - "revolutionay side impact protection" and "flex tech energy management" - but no details.
4. Peg Perego - Actually had this, but sent it back because the Pria seemed way more comfy. Still an option though since it has a 45 lb. RF limit. And I love the new fushia/black seat!

Would love feedback on any of these - pros, cons, or other suggestions. I really need to make a decision!! :) Thanks!

I have a Gemini (purple) NextFit (and a Radian), but none of the other seats on your list.

1. Height/Weight limits: The NextFit seems to be an inch or two taller than the Radian, BUT in my experience, it has less legroom - which will be a concern for a longer legged child and for an older RF'er (although it appears that recline position and vehicle MAY affect the amount of legroom).
2. Hands down the easiest seat I've ever installed. I love, love, love the LATCH installation. Seatbelt/lock-off installation is pretty straightforward as well.
3. It's not light. At all. I don't know what the official weight is compared to the Radian though.
4. It's not nearly as low profile as the Radian and will be more difficult to load and unload. I don't think there's going to be a headroom issue with the headrest though. I have a super petite daughter (2nd% in weight) with a big melon head and she's fine in it.
5. It's a super cushy seat that's gorgeous to look at and feel.

There are many, many things I love about the NextFit, but there are also many things I love about my Radian. Truthfully, if I could mash together my favorite things about both, I'd be in car seat heaven. The Radian and the NextFit both have very clear strengths - but not the same ones - if that makes any sense at all. If you want a seat that's easy to install and use, super comfy, and tall - the NextFit is a good choice. If you want good legroom and a low profile - well, the Radian has that in spades. But neither of these seats has everything you want.

Despite it's many quirks, I honestly think the Radian remains my favorite seat ever due to it's low profile and great leg room RF. But I know the Radian's tricks in my car and I'm the only one who ever installs it. If the most important consideration were ease of use and installation, I'd recommend the NextFit without a second thought.

MaddieMae

I have a Gemini (purple) NextFit (and a Radian), but none of the other seats on your list.

1. Height/Weight limits: The NextFit seems to be an inch or two taller than the Radian, BUT in my experience, it has less legroom - which will be a concern for a longer legged child and for an older RF'er (although it appears that recline position and vehicle MAY affect the amount of legroom).
2. Hands down the easiest seat I've ever installed. I love, love, love the LATCH installation. Seatbelt/lock-off installation is pretty straightforward as well.
3. It's not light. At all. I don't know what the official weight is compared to the Radian though.
4. It's not nearly as low profile as the Radian and will be more difficult to load and unload. I don't think there's going to be a headroom issue with the headrest though. I have a super petite daughter (2nd% in weight) with a big melon head and she's fine in it.
5. It's a super cushy seat that's gorgeous to look at and feel.

There are many, many things I love about the NextFit, but there are also many things I love about my Radian. Truthfully, if I could mash together my favorite things about both, I'd be in car seat heaven. The Radian and the NextFit both have very clear strengths - but not the same ones - if that makes any sense at all. If you want a seat that's easy to install and use, super comfy, and tall - the NextFit is a good choice. If you want good legroom and a low profile - well, the Radian has that in spades. But neither of these seats has everything you want.

Despite it's many quirks, I honestly think the Radian remains my favorite seat ever due to it's low profile and great leg room RF. But I know the Radian's tricks in my car and I'm the only one who ever installs it. If the most important consideration were ease of use and installation, I'd recommend the NextFit without a second thought.

This is so helpful, thank you!

One thing I forgot to mention, is that although my daughter is 90% for height, it's all torso. She just outgrew her 0-3 month pants at 5.5 months. So that might help.

Do you think the Nextfit would be too hard to load OB in a truck?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC