DOMs are OLD on my new seats!

nursingnellie

Brand new CCO w/ DOM 7/09 and Rodi XR w/ DOM 3/09(!).

Should I call (ordered from diapers.com) and ask questions/complain? I don't like to do that, but these seats are almost a year and over a year old. Not a fan of that.

ADS

AmbersMommy

If it were me YES I would call and complain about the DOM on the seats. I have seen some sales on seats on other sites stating they DOM was 1-2 yrs old but not on diapers.com I am expecting 2 seats from them on monday/tuesday so I am interested to see the DOM on them!! You don't buy a *new* seat to not be able to use it for the 6-9yrs its good for. Let us know what they say..

tl01

Brand new CCO w/ DOM 7/09 and Rodi XR w/ DOM 3/09(!).

Should I call (ordered from diapers.com) and ask questions/complain? I don't like to do that, but these seats are almost a year and over a year old. Not a fan of that.

I think it would depend upon whether or not you received a discount on the seats... and how big that discount was if you received one.

poohbear

I think it would depend upon whether or not you received a discount on the seats... and how big that discount was if you received one.

I agree with this. I got a CCO from Kohls for $105 after kohls cash. The DOM was 1 year old, but since I basically got the seat for 1/2 price and only lost 1/7th of the life of the seat, I didn't really mind. I'm sure if I would have called and complained, they probably would have sent me a new one, but at that point, they no longer had licorice in stock and I wanted that color and needed it for an upcoming trip. So long story short, in that case, it was worth it to me to lose 1 year because I needed the seat, and I didn't want to lose that deal, or spend an extra $50 to get it from somewhere else.

So I think you should call and tell them that you're upset that the seats are old, but I would have an idea in your mind of what you're willing to do. If you got a good deal, are you willing to return them if they won't replace them, or are you comfortable with the trade-off. If you paid full price, I'd call and complain and if they won't send you newer ones, I'd send them back ASAP!

nursingnellie

Well, I did price match both seats, but they were not on sale on the site, so I assumed they would be recent. I haven't heard too many things abt diapers.com selling older seats, so I didn't even think to look until the seats had been on the living room floor for a couple of hours. :p

I don't know..we got good deals on the seats (148 for the CCO, 120 for the Rodi plus the may15), so on the one hand I probably shouldn't bother. But, OTOH, I still ordered and expected new seats..and they're not. :confused:

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
When I ordered my CCO from diapers.com in Feb '10, it had a March '09 date. So I'm guessing that's just how old their DOMs run. (My only discount then was the price match.)

But the Rodi, that's over a year off of what, a six-year seat? Especially if there was no discount, I'd call and complain.

nursingnellie

This:

So I think you should call and tell them that you're upset that the seats are old, but I would have an idea in your mind of what you're willing to do. If you got a good deal, are you willing to return them if they won't replace them, or are you comfortable with the trade-off. If you paid full price, I'd call and complain and if they won't send you newer ones, I'd send them back ASAP!

So I called and they offered to take them back and send new seats - but that they couldn't guarantee they would have any different DOMs than the ones sitting in my living room. So I told them I would have to think about what I wanted to do, and would call them back.

kdkm

I ordered a Nautilus from them a week and half ago and I recieved it yesterday. The date was 12/09. I was kind of upset because it was already 6 months but I got a really good deal on it so I decided not to bother calling (Plus, its for a 3 year old that won't be passing down the seat. I figure she will use the harness for 3 more years and then the highback booster for a few more which would put her around 8 when it expires which I am fine with). If it was a year like your seats though I would've called. Thats just crazy. I would return and keep doing so until you get newer DOMs.

tl01

How much did the Rodi cost you? Did you get 15% off the 120? Their original price is $160 so that might be a decent price. They might be part of the May sale due to their age.

vrclay

Something similar just happened to me, except my seat was only 8 month old. The customer service left much to be desired. Here's the thread I started to solicit opinion whether I should return my seats or not.
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=129511

The thing that really made me upset is that 2 different representatives gave bad information regarding maximum use of the seats. One told me, seats don't expire like formula or something. The other said, all carseats are good for 8 years.

I won't be shopping there again.

poohbear

This:

So I called and they offered to take them back and send new seats - but that they couldn't guarantee they would have any different DOMs than the ones sitting in my living room. So I told them I would have to think about what I wanted to do, and would call them back.

If you won't be happy with anything but a seat with a new DOM, I think you're best bet will probably be to go to a B&M store where you can actually see the DOM. I don't think this is solely a diapers.com issue with DOM. I think you're going to run into it with any internet seller (albee, babycatalog, chitchatbaby, target, kohls, etc). The stock person is not checking the DOM when they pull the seat off the shelf. Otherwise, if you feel like you got a good deal on the seat (which you probably did because you ordered it using a price match), just keep it and be comfortable knowing that you got a good deal on a good, safe seat.

Just my 2 cents.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I wouldn't expect a newer date on a Rodi (XR or plain Rodi?) They crank them out in one big batch at a time, and they are very, very slow sellers (and the belt tends to stick in the shoulderbelt guide in many cars, it's just too thin of a slit for free movement, it's a big safety hazard if your kid leans forward and belt stays slack on them... so 'we' here aren't buying them, or recommending them, and I never see them out in the real world, that original batch is just sitting in warehouses waiting for the prices to get low enough to spark people's interest into buying them:( )

swtgi1982

When I got my first CA from BRU it was less then a week old (just released and had just been re stocked after being sold out for 6wks after initial release) When I got my second CA, like 7-8mon later, from the same BRU it was within a week DOM wise from my older one. First one was DOM 7-16-2009 (purchased right about Jul 20, 2009) and second one was 7-29-2009 (purchased Feb / Mar 2010) from the same BRU.

Mags462

I understand the frustration of getting a seat that has 6-12months on it.... especially since car seats are an investment of no small change - but speaking from a manufacturing stand point i think we car seat enthusiasts need to remember that this is not a Target Bakery. Seats are not being made daily and then shipped to retailers. They are made in large batches. It is most economical for the manufacturers to do this..... My father has a business in which they cast large plastic forms for baseball pitchers to practice with. He orders these in batches because there are large set-up fees, shipping costs, etc associated with the manufacturing of them. I assume this is the same for the makers of car seats.

If said retailer doesn't sell a lot of your chosen seat - which really who are we kidding here, anything we buy/recommend here isn't readily available at large retailers so they are more "unique" and therefore the turnover is smaller. When their distributors stock gets low they make more - there isn't anything Diapers.com, BRU, or anyone else for that matter can do.

My CCO that i bought brand new last month was made in 08/2009 and i expect that Combi isn't making anymore of the current version.... they are revamping and coming out with an improved one later this year - so i bet the stock that is out there is it. It's not a Britax or a $50 Scenera so they sell slowly.

I am not trying to be mean, i just want to point out that we all need to realize brand new seats aren't really realistic unless you happen to have the good luck of buying a very popular seat, or a seat that just had a fresh batch mannied. :)

If it bothers you, by all means see if you can get "newer" seats - :D

TerisBoys

I wouldn't expect a newer date on a Rodi (XR or plain Rodi?) They crank them out in one big batch at a time, and they are very, very slow sellers (and the belt tends to stick in the shoulderbelt guide in many cars, it's just too thin of a slit for free movement, it's a big safety hazard if your kid leans forward and belt stays slack on them... so 'we' here aren't buying them, or recommending them, and I never see them out in the real world, that original batch is just sitting in warehouses waiting for the prices to get low enough to spark people's interest into buying them:( )

:yeahthat:

Plus it's a Dorel highback booster with the requirement of a headrest/high seatback behind it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC