Does this seem unsafe to you???

southernveg

tarynsmum said:
Am I the only one who is surprised that the 2 year olds are going on a field trip :scratcheshead:

nope. This surprised me, too. I definitely wouldn't be okay with taking my class of 2 year olds anywhere. I've now got a class of 3 and 4 year olds and am barely okay with the thought of taking them on a field trip. They can barely listen long enough to get to the playground safely.

ADS

Anifan

southernveg said:
I've worked in several preschools and nowhere has called if a child was absent. So I'd say you're spoiled. Haha! But I also think this would be a great idea. And as a teacher I would like to know if someone is just running late or won't be in for the day.

As far as the seat. I would definitely not allow a child to ride on that van.

Well-- thx for giving me some comparisons! I guess I was spoiled! I always call in-- but liked the thought of a safety net-- I mean in the workplace we usually call when someone doesn't show up, just to check-- why wouldn't the same courtesy be extended for little ones? Don't they also check on unexcused absences in schools too? Well-- thx for letting me vent! :)

Anifan

tarynsmum said:
Am I the only one who is surprised that the 2 year olds are going on a field trip :scratcheshead:.

I am with u! I know their hearts are in the right place, but it seems a bit silly to me as well-- I don't know how many teachers are going but I know they are welcoming any parents/relatives to come for the extra help... (*sigh!*)

Kat_Momof3

I agree with every concern mentioned.

2yr olds on a field trip... a big van instead of getting some parents to drive carpool style

backless boosters, lap only belts, entrusting installation of whatever seat is supplied to untrained people...

the liability is just awful.

honestly, with 2yr olds, unless they can take and ARE taking strollers with them, I'd want no less than 1 adult for every 2-3 kids... if they have strollers, okay, 1 for every 5-6.

2yr olds are still babies... they're impulsive, moody, and they get tired and cranky without warning....

not that I can't think of select places to take them that would be doable with the proper number of adults... but with all it would require with strollers, and getting moms to go along... not worth it in my mind.

I'd probably not let him go on the field trip.

WhatAboutPuppy

I know you said you are going to take him but I still wanted to give MY oh so important opinion (total joke!!).

I would drive him based on the fact that they just don't seem to understand vehicle/child safety... even if you installed it there's no way to know that they tighten his harness properly or buckle him in properly...

Also, I don't know that he'd be going at all... where are they going? My heart starts to race just at the thought of taking 2 year olds into public without 1 adult to every 2 children. They are two, they are impulsive and you only have two hands. I wouldn't want to be there when one child needs a diaper change, another trips and scrapes his knee at the same time another sees something shiny, another grabs another by the shirt because he took her toy... I wouldn't want to have to help control all of that.

On a side note, an awesome field trip for 2 year olds would be Gymboree Music and Play, fully contained and their employees are in charge of entertainment so childcare staff can run crowd control. Hmm... I would LOVE to do a field trip there with smaller kiddos... and a van full of rear facing radians! :love:

gagenivy

Having been a preschool teacher, I have found not every state is stringent in child seat safety laws when it comes to 12+ passenger vans and/or busses-that may be why they only have the backless booster. And no, you are not paranoid:)

Anifan

I know you said you are going to take him but I still wanted to give MY oh so important opinion (total joke!!).

I would drive him based on the fact that they just don't seem to understand vehicle/child safety... even if you installed it there's no way to know that they tighten his harness properly or buckle him in properly...

Also, I don't know that he'd be going at all... where are they going? My heart starts to race just at the thought of taking 2 year olds into public without 1 adult to every 2 children. They are two, they are impulsive and you only have two hands. I wouldn't want to be there when one child needs a diaper change, another trips and scrapes his knee at the same time another sees something shiny, another grabs another by the shirt because he took her toy... I wouldn't want to have to help control all of that.

On a side note, an awesome field trip for 2 year olds would be Gymboree Music and Play, fully contained and their employees are in charge of entertainment so childcare staff can run crowd control. Hmm... I would LOVE to do a field trip there with smaller kiddos... and a van full of rear facing radians! :love:

The field trip is (are you ready for it?) ... a pumpkin patch! (no containment, from what I gather) So, I agree with you -- I almost don't want to even take him, as then I feel like I have to be a chaperone to the others as well. However, if I don't go, then I'm worried about those kiddos that DO end up going (esp if their parents aren't going). Wow! What a ruckus! :doh:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC