do you feel comfortable with Britax's crash replacement standards?

I was just wondering about Britax's rules on when to replace a carseat after an accident. Are you comfortable following that or do you/would you replace anyway? I just got to thinking, a lot of other manufacturers say to replace pretty much no matter what, but Britax seems more lax on it. What makes their seats better to not need replacing? :confused:

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm completely comfortable with it. I think most other companies are just hyper concerned with liability. I wish more companies were more realistic about when to replace. (Unless, of course, their particular seats really can't withstand a minor crash.)

MomToEliEm

I am comfortable with the NHTSA policy. I think that policy gives the parents more flexibility as to whether their seats are okay or not. Often a speedbump in a parking lot or sudden breaking can be more forceful then a very minor crash. Giving guidelines as to whether to replace or not seems like a better way to approach carseat replacement then says "always replace".

Joyofbirth

Nope. I was in an accident that fell within the guidelines and I could have continues to use our Roundabout. We were hit hard. I did feel comfortable using the seat at all. I asked the ambulance if they had a seat for her to ride in to take me to the hospital. (I was pregnant and wanted the baby checked out and I was having contractions.) The insurance company agreed with me and replaced it. I'm just not comfortable with it.

I'm completely comfortable with it. I think most other companies are just hyper concerned with liability. I wish more companies were more realistic about when to replace. (Unless, of course, their particular seats really can't withstand a minor crash.)

does Britax (and any other that follow this rule) crash test an already "minor" crashed seat to be sure it's safe? I am just wondering how they know it's safe when other companies say to replace. How many times can a carseat withstand a minor crash? I didn't see anywhere where there was a limit. Why isn't there a standard for this? Like all carseats need to be replaced after X Y Z...

Nope. I was in an accident that fell within the guidelines and I could have continues to use our Roundabout. We were hit hard. I did feel comfortable using the seat at all. I asked the ambulance if they had a seat for her to ride in to take me to the hospital. (I was pregnant and wanted the baby checked out and I was having contractions.) The insurance company agreed with me and replaced it. I'm just not comfortable with it.

I don't think that would fall within the limits, though. If you have to be brought to the hospital for all of a sudden having contractions, I would consider that an "injury".

speaking of injury.. what is included in that? is that minor soreness, stiff neck that goes away in a day or two or something more significant?

a lot just seems to be open to interpretation..

U

Unregistered

I meet all of NHTSA's and Britax's criteria not to replace but my pediatrician says we should always replace it after an accident. You'd think that if Britax didn't truly believe in their seats, they would say to replace them-that would lead to more sales for them. So the fact that they follow NHTSA tells me that it's usable. I am not trying to jeopardize the safety of my child, but $200+ for a new Marathon is no joke. My insurance will not cover it because we meet all the NHTSA guidelines. The seat looks fine. I am sure the airlines have done more damage to it when we've checked it than this accident did. Thoughts?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I meet all of NHTSA's and Britax's criteria not to replace but my pediatrician says we should always replace it after an accident. You'd think that if Britax didn't truly believe in their seats, they would say to replace them-that would lead to more sales for them. So the fact that they follow NHTSA tells me that it's usable. I am not trying to jeopardize the safety of my child, but $200+ for a new Marathon is no joke. My insurance will not cover it because we meet all the NHTSA guidelines. The seat looks fine. I am sure the airlines have done more damage to it when we've checked it than this accident did. Thoughts?

I think your pediatrician is just sharing the general rule of thumb, to err on the side of caution. Most pediatricians don't know anything more than the broadest of guidelines for carseat usage and aren't the person to ask about these things for a precise answer on the topic. Call Britax if you are unsure, but honestly, I'd feel fine about keeping using the seat if it meets the NHTSA guidelines.

Maedze

I'm comfortable with the NHTSA guidelines and honestly I wish that all car seat manufacturers would adopt them. I think parents would have a lot less trouble getting a seat replaced when necessary (by insurance) if the guidelines were standardized.

Pixels

Britax isn't the only company who follows NHTSA guidelines. Several others do as well.

NHTSA did extensive testing in order to develop their criteria. They tested seats from many different manufacturers, in varying crashes, over and over again in order to figure out what is okay and what's not.

Jonah Baby

I just ran into this situation.

We were rear ended (again dammit!) with a Britax installed.
One of the Tech's from this board did confirm the accident fell under NHTSA's guidelines and could be in continued use.
I was kind of ok with that. Britax seats are tanks compared to many others...

As I got to thinking about it, I decided I was not ok with it. A real small fender bender, etc. and I would allow it (stretching maybe even to other manufacturers seats.) We got hit this time by a semi truck at a red light. The force at which we were hit was comparable to my rear end over the summer. That rear end did do some serious damage (to me, to my car) to my MyRide. A simple rear end caused the entire rear facing belt path to be WAY stressed/warped.
This Britax was also a hand-me-down (from a trusted source, no accidents) but it got me thinking on how much "damage" the seat may have accumulated from normal use/installation/storage plus the rear ender.

I know I pissed off a few board members by asking how to get it replaced by insurance, but I honestly would not trust my child's life in it now. I think many of us, viewing it that way, would agree that if they did not feel trust in something they wouldn't have their children anywhere near it.
Our insurance IS happy to replace it, thankfully, and will be seizing the Britax from us shortly.

I think we need some modified and universal guidelines.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
This should be a spinoff, but I don't take issue with your making a parental decision to replace the seat. I take issue with deciding insurance should replace it, since the seat doesn't NEED to be replaced. Insurance should replace what needs to be replaced. Parents should be responsible for parental decisions.

jennsmile

I don't know. It would always be in the back of my mind. My adjuster didn't have a problem replacing my Husky. I explained the other two had to be replaced and Britax wasn't hard and fast on it. He left it up to me and am replacing. I would rather be safe than sorry. :twocents:

Jenn

If they hadn't replaced I probably would have used it till it was outgrown my my oldest (six months or less) and then ditched it. It had 2 years left. Or I would have just ditched it and gone booster.

Britax isn't the only company who follows NHTSA guidelines. Several others do as well.

NHTSA did extensive testing in order to develop their criteria. They tested seats from many different manufacturers, in varying crashes, over and over again in order to figure out what is okay and what's not.

where can I find information about this?

and I know the rule says no injuries, but can someone define injuries for me? I was discussing this with my husband and he doesn't think soreness/light bruises are considered "injuries" and you generally get that no matter what. Our experiences with accidents have been more substantial than that.. like GIANT bruises, back and neck injuries that required going to the doctor and seeing a therapist.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/childps/ChildRestraints/ReUse/RestraintReUse.htm

I do consider soreness or bruising to be injuries. Your body was damaged as a direct result of the crash. What you described with having injuries requiring doctors' visits and therapy definitely would be injury, absolutely.

maybe a little clarification about injuries. I know injuries that require doctor's visits and therapy are of course "injuries". I was wondering about if say you only have slightly noticeable soreness or slightly noticeable bruising. or slight stuffness. things that go away in a day or two on their own. are those considered "injuries"?

the injuries I was talking about was what I experienced a long time ago in an accident, nothing current. I did get the seats replaced by the driver at fault at that time (she was uninsured and payed me directly).

I am just talking general guidelines and such.

sunnymw

I feel comfortable with it with Britax seats, with Radians, and with the TF. I would NOT feel comfortable with it with, say, our Comfortsport, or a Dorel seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC