Do I NEED 4WD?

northernmommy

I need to replace my deathtrap of a van before it falls apart out here, so am planning to use some of my divorce settlement to buy a truck this coming summer (crossing my fingers that everything can be sorted out by then!). I'm looking seriously at the GMC/Chevrolet Sierra/Silverado crew cabs right now..they get the best scores for my price range.

There's a $1500 difference in 2WD vs 4WD, and I'm leaning towards getting 4WD, but not sure if I really need it. I heard that it lowers fuel efficiency? Anyhow, I live in a very isolated area, and plan to do some driving on logging roads etc, but most of the time will be on pavement. We don't get a lot of snow here, but when we do, it's wet, very slippery slushy crap. I do regularly drive up a semi-mountain (bad road) to get to my mom's house. My van (front wd) makes it up if the road isn't too muddy, but otherwise I'm hooped. I'll also be putting on a fair amount of highway miles taking the kids to see their dad, winter included, and will be traveling through very snowy roads to do so.

Should I just suck up the extra $1500 and get the 4WD so I know I'm covered?

Also, I could possibly finance it right now, but I really want to stay away from that...is it reasonable to assume that by this summer I should be able to get similar deals on a 2010 as I can get now on a 2009?

Thanks!

ADS

kaysmom

Another vote for 4WD, if you dont get it I'm thinking you'll probably regret it when your trying to drive down those roads;) We live in MN so when we were looking at getting a truck 4WD was just a given, and I've been very thankful we have it (sometimes we wouldnt have made it up or tiny hill in our driveway without it even!!)

beeman

On the newer vehicles it's probably better, as they generally have higher4 clearance all around. Fuel economy won't be hurt too bad as long as you aren't driving in 4wd. Once in, then you'll burn a lot of fuel. Just be prepared for more parts to break as the truck ages. What size of truck are you getting? A 2500 or 3500 will give you more clearance than the 1500, but you'll pay more and burn more fuel, and have a longer wheel base for driving in town and parking. I've never been impressed with a GM's ability to get through snow (and there crew cab doesn't seem as big as the others), and personally would go for another make :whistle: . If you do decide on the GM product, get the GMC, as they don't cost much more, and do hold their resale value better (and aren't as ugly on the front end :whistle: ).

3plus2isme

I find 2WD full size trucks silly :p I'd go for the 4WD.

We don't drive in 4W unless we need too... There's a thingy I switch to turn it to 4WD and yes, when it's switched to that I notice a HUGE decrease in fuel efficiency.

Normally, I don't think so. However, you're one of those people who lives in a place where I do think it's a good idea. Isolated, off pavement roads often enough and you've already had 2wd and discovered you were screwed at times.

northernmommy

On the newer vehicles it's probably better, as they generally have higher4 clearance all around. Fuel economy won't be hurt too bad as long as you aren't driving in 4wd. Once in, then you'll burn a lot of fuel. Just be prepared for more parts to break as the truck ages. What size of truck are you getting? A 2500 or 3500 will give you more clearance than the 1500, but you'll pay more and burn more fuel, and have a longer wheel base for driving in town and parking. I've never been impressed with a GM's ability to get through snow (and there crew cab doesn't seem as big as the others), and personally would go for another make :whistle: . If you do decide on the GM product, get the GMC, as they don't cost much more, and do hold their resale value better (and aren't as ugly on the front end :whistle: ).

I'm looking at the 1500 Silverado or Sierra...they look pretty much the same to me :shrug-shoulders: The crew cab on them is larger than the Dodge, unless you get the Mega cab. The Chev gets better safety scores than the Dodge, according to IFL. Parking where I live isn't an issue, but I'd prefer the shorter wheelbase for when I go to the city.

I don't do a lot of driving around town, as most stuff is walking distance, but we're on a very quiet highway for 1/2 usually 4x per month, and go from Prince Rupert to Prince George and Vancouver every three or four months. I definately need the truck, and it looks like I should go for the 4wd option :)

Beeman, which truck would you suggest if not the GM then?

beeman

I've always had a personal bias towards the Ford, and the new ones seem to be getting good safety ratings from what I can find. However, part of my bias against GM's doesn't come from the quality of their vehicles, but the customer service from the local dealers in my city. Friends of mine have had trouble getting them to do warranty work, and felt they weren't treated as well as they should have been, and because of that I will not give those dealers my business. This however is regional, and may not be an issue in your area. The other part of my bias comes from watching these same friends play in the snow/mud and get stuck IMO way too easy (that could be the way they drive though too :whistle: ). The Silverado/Sierra are the same truck, its just the GMC is the 'classier' truck. Can you post a link to the crash rating site you're using?

northernmommy

I've always had a personal bias towards the Ford, and the new ones seem to be getting good safety ratings from what I can find. However, part of my bias against GM's doesn't come from the quality of their vehicles, but the customer service from the local dealers in my city. Friends of mine have had trouble getting them to do warranty work, and felt they weren't treated as well as they should have been, and because of that I will not give those dealers my business. This however is regional, and may not be an issue in your area. The other part of my bias comes from watching these same friends play in the snow/mud and get stuck IMO way too easy (that could be the way they drive though too :whistle: ). The Silverado/Sierra are the same truck, its just the GMC is the 'classier' truck. Can you post a link to the crash rating site you're using?

Informed for life... http://www.informedforlife.org/getscore.php
GM: 76.5
Ford: 89.7
Dodge: 87.6

I'm don't plan on "playing" in the mud and muck, just want to be able to get around, lol. My brother has a Ford and has had nothing but trouble (very expensive trouble) with it, so that's scared me away from them :eek:

There are no dealerships out here, so I'm kinda hooped either way (closet one is 8 hrs away)

Not trying to sound dumb, but if the Sierra/Silverado are the same truck, how is the Sierra the classier one?

brightredmtn

You may not even be able to find 2WD. I am several hundred miles south of you and had a very difficult time finding a 2WD Honda CRV. I think you've already made up your mind but this may have made it up for you anyway.

You're getting a decently older one, right? If that's the case, after seeing those crash test photos, I'd shy away from Ford. It doesn't do my kid much good if I'm mangled to a pulp.

And yes, the Silverado and Sierra are essentially the same thing. Headlights and grill is slightly different. That's about it.

northernmommy

You're getting a decently older one, right? If that's the case, after seeing those crash test photos, I'd shy away from Ford. It doesn't do my kid much good if I'm mangled to a pulp.

And yes, the Silverado and Sierra are essentially the same thing. Headlights and grill is slightly different. That's about it.

Planning on getting a 2010...for some reason, they're less than the 06+'s up here. Normally I'm against buying new, but whn it's actually cheaper....

northernmommy

Yeah, I've pretty well crossed the Dodge off the list. Ex has a Mega cab one, and while it's nice enough, the regular crew cabs aren't as big as the GMs, and the scores are lower. Seriously leaning heavily towards the Gm/Chev at this point.

vamom

It has been a few years since I went truck shopping but I have owned a few in my years and so has my dad. I use to trade up every two years. Each time I would try each brand. I always found teh fords to have more bounce to teh ride unless they were hauling a decent load.

I have had a ford and 4 chevies. My dad has had a ford and 4 chevies.

My dad has gone with two wheel drive each time. He does ok, but must avoid certain situiations.

I have always done 4 wheel drive. With rear wheel drive you really need teh 4 wheel drive sometimes.

That said, my 4 wheel drive truck is currently sitting in teh middle of teh field, where it has been for almost two weeks. My dad decided to use it to make a path for my car to get out. It starting sliding and that is where it has remained.

The mileage sucks though. I was so thrilled to switch to a car after 19 years of trucks. And everything costs a lot to fix or maintain. That was part of my selling every two years - cheaper to go new then change tires/tune up/brakes.

beeman

The fords have been having a lot of electronics problems on the diesels. Maybe the new one in '11 will finally fix those :rolleyes: . I've had friends spend big money repairing their GM's too, but it was diesel related. Higher repair costs is an unavoidable factor of driving trucks. Everything is bigger and costs more. I don't know why Dodge even has the 2 sizes of crew cabs, because the big one is the only one that is any good, and they don't cost that much more on a new vehicle :twocents: . As for the Sierra being 'classier', IMO they look a lot better than the Chev, and on the used market here if there is a GMC and a Chev that are equal in all other ways, the GMC sells for more. I find the ratings interesting too, because on the 2009's the scores were GM 87.4 and Ford 72.1, and the chassis are essentially the same on the 09's and 10's for both. As for the new versus used, I agree with you on the market scene. The price of new vehicles has decreased drastically, and many sellers seem to think that the used price should be based on what they paid for theirs new, not what a new one costs today. Are there no dealers for either make closer than 8 hours, or is that just where the big ones are? If there is a reputable service rep significantly closer for one and not the other I would seriously consider choosing that make over the other, regardless of which one it is :twocents: .

northernmommy

no dealers whatsoever. I'm on an island 8 hrs off the west coast. I'll be buying in Vancouver or Prince George, and the Ford dealer in PG isn't very good.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC