Do high-back boosters use LATCH?

U

Unregistered

Are there any high-back boosters that use LATCH to attach to the vehicle, or do they all utilize the seat belt to hold the booster as well as the child in place?

ADS

crunchierthanthou

Some do. It seems more are being added to the list all the time.

The Recaro Start actually requires a tether.

The Graco Nautilus and Chase can use LATCH in booster mode (high back only for the GN).

As can the Britax Frontier.

The Sunshine Kids Monterey can use the lower anchors.

The Jane Indy Plus has rigid lower attachments.

The soon to be released Clek Oobr will have rigid lower attachments as well (as does the already available backless Olli).

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the info!

So just so I don't mess it up (we're planning to buy this weekend), the Graco Nautilus can use LATCH as a high-back booster, and the Chase can use LATCH as both a high-back and backless booster?

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I think Crunchier meant to type Graco CarGo, and not the Chase, in her list of LATCHable boosters. :) The Evenflo Chase doesn't allow LATCH in booster mode. Both the CarGo and Chase are combination seats that convert from harnessed mode to highback belt positioning boosters, and neither converts to a backless booster. The Nautilus is a combination seat that converts from harnessed mode to a highback belt positioning booster and also converts to a backless booster, allowing LATCH in highback booster mode, not in backless mode.

WhatAboutPuppy

This confuses me...
I thought you had to use the seat belt instead of LATCH once the child is 40 lbs.? Can you reattach LATCH when the child moves to booster?

Mama Jo

This confuses me...
I thought you had to use the seat belt instead of LATCH once the child is 40 lbs.? Can you reattach LATCH when the child moves to booster?

The LATCH used on boosters is not actually holding the weight of the child. It's only holding the booster in place. The seatbelt holds the weight of the child, so it's not putting the 45+ lbs of weight on the LATCH. Does that make sense?

Mama Jo

It makes perfect sense, and it's what I was assuming was the case but just wanted to COMPLETELY clarify in my head... I'm a worry wart.

Thank you!!

One of the nice things about having a booster installed with LATCH is that when no one is sitting in it, you don't have to remember to buckle it in so it doesn't become a projectile in the event of a collision.

Kat_Momof3

what the pp said... latch really hasn't shown any statistical safety improvement (rigid latch has shown some side impact protection improvement, though).

the whole point of it is strictly to prevent the seat becoming a projectile... because most parents just don't bother to buckle the booster when their kid isn't in the seat.

U

Unregistered

FYI the posts have moved off point. I have been doing research and it is very dangerous to Latch in a booster that is not manufactured to use Latch with a seatlbelt. These boosters are made to move forward with the child in the event of an accident, and if they are Latched the seatbelt will not react properly in an accident.

Jeanum

Staff member
The carseats allowing use of LATCH in belt positioning booster mode listed above in the thread clearly do allow it, though. We're assuredly not advocating using carseats in belt positioning booster mode with LATCH if they do not expressly allow it.

Kat_Momof3

yeah... we do not advocate anyone going against a manufacturer's instructions.... to the point that I've been posting on here and harassing graco about the ability/not ability to use latch in booster mode with the Nautilus as Ruthie grows closer to the point where we will have to know for sure because we'll be using it as one.

Fortunately, all her new growth the past year or so has been in her legs... so she may last longer in the harnesses than I thought...

And Graco is sending me a fresh copy of the manual with the updated info and fixing the online manual info... so that's good.

Maedze

FYI the posts have moved off point. I have been doing research and it is very dangerous to Latch in a booster that is not manufactured to use Latch with a seatlbelt. These boosters are made to move forward with the child in the event of an accident, and if they are Latched the seatbelt will not react properly in an accident.

This is not true of the boosters mentioned above. Several boosters have been designed and tested to use LATCH in booster mode. Remember to always follow the manufacturer's instructions :)

U

Unregistered

I see this blog is a few years old - but stumbled across it as I researched whether or not to use the LATCH in an Evenflow carseat as my daughter transitions out of the 5pt harness to the high back-belt positioning booster. The instructions do not say to use the LATCH to secure the booster, but they also do not say NOT to use the LATCH. I am thinking it would be practical to use the LATCH just to secure the booster seat when not in use, but not secure it tightly...that way the seat will still move with the child allowing the vehicle restraint to tighten appropriately. Anyone please comment on any reason why this wouldn't be okay!
Thanks!

Jeanum

Staff member
Welcome to car-seat.org. What is the model name of your Evenflo carseat? The model name info. is important for sorting out if Evenflo allows it to use LATCH in belt positioning booster mode. In the meantime if you're not certain, it can be kept from being a loose projectile in the car in booster mode when not occupied by your child by buckling it in empty using the vehicle seatbelt.

Jeanum

Staff member
No problem, Bree, the more the merrier.:D I'm sometimes the one posting late after another member or members have posted replies in the meantime because I'm slow at typing and tend to be way too wordy, lol.

While we we're waiting to hear back from the guest poster about the Evenflo carseat's model name, it occurred to me to check in the Evenflo section of the 2013 LATCH manual and I found the following info. regarding LATCH use in booster mode:
The use of tethers and lower attachments is permitted as long as the position of the belt positioning booster in the vehicle and/or the resulting fit of the seatbelt over the child are not affected. This is retroactive for all Evenflo belt positioning boosters. At publication time, only Evenflo combination child restraints have this option in belt positioning booster mode.
So if the OP indeed has an Evenflo combination seat (a forward facing only carseat with a 5-point internal harness that converts to a belt positioning booster), then it's currently allowable to use LATCH in booster mode if the above conditions about the seatbelt positioning/fit are met.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC