Do European Volvo V50s have top tethers and locking seat belts? Plus a car seat question

jenniferlynne

I'm not sure whether to post this question here or in the Int'l issues thread...

We recently moved to Europe and are in the process of buying a new (to us) car. We *think* we've settled on a Volvo V50, probably model year 2006 or newer, and I'm just wondering if they have top tethers and locking seat belts, or if that's even something that's important.

More information: My DD (3 years four months old, 38 lbs.) is temporarily riding in her SK Radian (FFing) from home. Since she's pushing the ISOFIX weight limit and since I hate installing with a locking clip, if our new car doesn't have TTs and locking seat belts, I will definitely buy her a new car seat. If it does, I would be comfortable keeping her in the Radian even though it's not ECE certified. Though she's big for her age, I don't feel she's mature enough to ride in a booster, so I'd like to keep her harnessed at least a little longer.

So, first, does anyone know about the tethers and seat belts in European Volvo V50s? Are there any other similar cars I should be considering that do have these things?

And, second, if I do need to buy a new car seat (I'll definitely get one of the Swedish ones), any idea about which ones work well in a Volvo V50? I've been drooling over those Swedish seats since I knew we'd be moving here but have forced myself to refrain from buying one till I knew which car we'd have permanently!

TIA!!

ADS

Maedze

At her age, not only is a booster not even a remote possibility, she would ideally be rear facing. How about contacting Adventure Dad (swedish member on the forum), and looking into purchasing a Swedish ERF seat?

Also, what is her height and weight and what is the DOM on the Radian?

Adventure Dad will probably also know the answer to your locking belt question.

jenniferlynne

Maedze, thanks for your response.

As I mentioned, I don't want a booster for DD and if our new car doesn't work well with the Radian (i.e., no locking seat belts and top tether), I will most likely buy a Swedish seat, probably the Two-Way Elite. I'm only hesitating to buy that seat till I know for sure what kind of car we'll end up with. I would imagine it would install well in a Volvo but I should probably wait till we actually buy the car. :whistle:

My daughter is around 38 lbs, and I don't know exactly how tall she is at the moment. I know she's in the second slot from the top on the Radian. The Radian was, I believe, manufactured in 2006, possibly late 2005; I'd have to check. Just wondering why you ask? It's definitely not expired...

I am probably just being impatient and will have my question answered when we get around to doing test drives in the next week or two!

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The Radian was, I believe, manufactured in 2006, possibly late 2005; I'd have to check. Just wondering why you ask? It's definitely not expired...
New Radians have rear-facing weight limits of 40# and 45#. Prior Radians made after a certain date have the 40# limit retroactive, so even though the manual and stickers say 35#, they can be used RF to 40#. My guess is Maezde was asking to find out if you had a 40# RF Radian, but she'll correct me if I assumed wrong. :)

jenniferlynne

New Radians have rear-facing weight limits of 40# and 45#. Prior Radians made after a certain date have the 40# limit retroactive, so even though the manual and stickers say 35#, they can be used RF to 40#. My guess is Maezde was asking to find out if you had a 40# RF Radian, but she'll correct me if I assumed wrong. :)

Wow, I had no idea! :thumbsup: How do I find out whether I can use mine RFing to 40#?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Wow, I had no idea! :thumbsup: How do I find out whether I can use mine RFing to 40#?
Get get your DOM on your seat and post it here. Maezde and others know which dates can be used to 40#. I don't know the date off the top of my head otherwise I'd let you know.

ETA: according to this thread, it's any seat manufactured after September '08 http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=91662 but Maezde or another tech will confirm if that's correct.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC