Question Disabled / Athritis sufferer about to have baby, can't use most car seat buttons - suggest a seat

Kat_Momof3

I would say the graco Safeseat 1 would be the best choice. the buckle is soft and you push down, not in, so it doesn't require the same kind or same amount of force.

Normally, we would advise a convertible after that seat, but, since you have a special need that makes buckling and unbuckling so hard, as long as baby rides in the ss1 till it's outgrown (it doesn't have to be taken in and out of the car if you don't want, so when it starts getting heavy, just leave it in the car and take baby in and out), I'd be OKAY with going with a Graco SS2 or Nautilus after that. Again, not ideal, but I'd be OKAY... providing baby is at least 1yr and 20lbs, of course (preferably more... my daughter would have made it to almost 2 in the SS1 (when she was 23mo, it came out, and her head was at the top, making her 1" too tall, and she was 1-2lbs too heavy), because I do think you need to be able to get baby in and out.

Now, if you can work with other seats using a spoon or some other tool, then that would be preferable after the SS1 and before the Nautilus.

ADS

bgdc

we have an orbit and it is hard for ME to push the button. It's a regular button but HARD to push. My only issue with the carseat LOL - BUT, you only need to pull 1 "handle" to unlock the carseat from its base.

We just tried the Orbit. Nice unit but yes that harness button is a beast. My wife was quite smitten with it otherwise. It's a shame we can't simply get the buckles/button mechanism swapped out.

So after 100s of miles added to the car so I could test car seats we ordered the Graco SafeSeat Step 1. I'm going to try installing it in the Mini Cooper and from there consult with a firm that customizes cars for the disabled. We're thinking we might be able to get the front passenger seat modded enough that it will slide forward another inch or two. That extra dollop of space may mean the difference between keeping my car and moving to another vehicle.

Thanks again everyone!

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
It's a long shot, but you could try contacting Britax and see if they'll let you swap out the harness on a Britax seat for the old style buckle. They used to have one with the button on top instead of on the front, which was much easier to work (which was the problem: kids were unbuckling themselves). In the past, they were REALLY good about helping families with special needs, but the management has changed, and I'm not sure the "new regime" is as good. Someone here should be able to PM you Sarah Tilton @ Britax's e-mail address. She'd be a good person to ask.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC