Diono RXT install question - with or without angle adjuster? (pics)

calihannah

I installed DD2's RXT this evening (forgive the overtired toddler in the pics) and can't decide whether I want to use the angle adjuster wedge in our 2011 Odyssey. Pics below, but essentially I feel like even when the LATCH strap was tight and there was less than 1" of movement at the belt path, the whole seat just felt wobbly when on the foam wedge. Any reason not to just skip it? FWIW, DD1 rode in a SK Radian XT without any sort of angle adjustment until 3y7mo and never complained. We have enough room as long as we leave DD2 in the center position (and if the girls start bothering each other again, I have a BV70 that I can easily put in the outboard passenger position to temporarily separate them). Haven't dealt with the top tether yet, either.

Without the adjuster:

IMG_9546.JPG

IMG_9551.JPG

With the adjuster:

IMG_9548.JPG

IMG_9549.JPG

Separate question: DD2's shoulders are just about even with the third set of harness slots. Leave them in the 2nd position (far below) or use the "even with the shoulders" 3rd slot? I think the headwings need to be up even if in the third slot, since they're still sort of high (the manual said something about "near the shoulders"??). Anyhow, fit comments greatly welcomed!

ADS

Pixels

If you don't like the angle adjuster, don't use it. It's not necessary.

The headwings go all the way down if she is on the third slots. I think they would fit her head a lot better than they are fitting now. I would put the harness in the third slots, based on your description.

java

oh I LOVE the purple!!! We just got an xtsl in the mail today and DD is almost even with the 3rd slots...but is just below so we are keeping her in the second slots. If your DD is even with the 3rd slots, I would put it at the third slot and move the wings all the way down.

From the pics, I like the look if it with the adjuster, but if you don't want to use it/don't feel comfortable with the install then I would skip it....but maybe keep it in case you have to install outboard for some reason?

calihannah

If you don't like the angle adjuster, don't use it. It's not necessary.

The headwings go all the way down if she is on the third slots. I think they would fit her head a lot better than they are fitting now. I would put the harness in the third slots, based on your description.

Okay, I got a pic of the shoulder height -- I think the actual slot is slightly below where the fabric slot is in this pic. WWYD? Probably stay with the second slot for a bit longer?

IMG_9550.JPG

calihannah

oh I LOVE the purple!!! We just got an xtsl in the mail today and DD is almost even with the 3rd slots...but is just below so we are keeping her in the second slots. If your DD is even with the 3rd slots, I would put it at the third slot and move the wings all the way down.

From the pics, I like the look if it with the adjuster, but if you don't want to use it/don't feel comfortable with the install then I would skip it....but maybe keep it in case you have to install outboard for some reason?

Oooh, that's a great idea. I'll hang onto it in case I have to install outboard, since the seat will fit behind me in the passenger (5'10") if it's got the adjuster in use!

And I know, isn't the purple GORGEOUS?? It certainly had more than a little to do with why I gave up on the BV70 so easily (DH hates the twisty straps and makes a total mess of them every.single.time) ;)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Okay, I got a pic of the shoulder height -- I think the actual slot is slightly below where the fabric slot is in this pic. WWYD? Probably stay with the second slot for a bit longer?

IMG_9550.JPG

I think you might find her shoulders are actually easily at those 3rd slots once you move the straps up. When straps get quite a bit below the shoulder they tend to squish the kid down somewhat. Sometimes the easiest way to tell is to move the straps up - it can often be easier to tell if they're above her shoulders than guessing if she's even with the next ones up. I'm having a hard time with the angle of the picture and the harness strap covers telling exactly where she is, but she looks close enough that I think it's worth moving them up and then checking again. Worst case you move them back down - but if it's hard to judge, that may be the easiest way to tell.

calihannah

I think you might find her shoulders are actually easily at those 3rd slots once you move the straps up. When straps get quite a bit below the shoulder they tend to squish the kid down somewhat. Sometimes the easiest way to tell is to move the straps up - it can often be easier to tell if they're above her shoulders than guessing if she's even with the next ones up. I'm having a hard time with the angle of the picture and the harness strap covers telling exactly where she is, but she looks close enough that I think it's worth moving them up and then checking again. Worst case you move them back down - but if it's hard to judge, that may be the easiest way to tell.

That was a super helpful tip -- I looked at her again sitting unbuckled in the seat, and her shoulders appear to be higher than the third slots, actually, when viewed in this way. I'll reroute them tomorrow and confirm.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC