Diono Monterey questions- esp. regarding head support

tribord

I have a Diono Monterey (DOM 5/13) and am planning to get another one for our other vehicle. However, I just became aware upon reading the reviews for the new Monterey that it requires head support behind the seat back in HBB mode. I couldn't find this requirement in my 2013 manual but Diono confirmed over the phone today that my 2013 Monterey also requires the head support in HBB mode. I feel a little freaked out because I have always had the headrest out while I used it!

Anyway, just want to:

(1) make sure that this is only for the Monterey and doesn't apply to my 2 Radian XTSLs

(2) check if anyone knows of HBB Monterey compatibility issues with a 2006 Corolla and 1999 4Runner with the headrests in. My Corolla (and the Monterey in it) is in the shop until next week so I can't check in person.

Thanks!

ADS

MotoMommaNH

It doesn't apply to the Radians . I can't speak to the compatibility with those vehicles but it didn't work in my accord and went back.
Perhaps try a Britax Parkway. It doesn't require head support.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
It doesn't apply to the Radians . I can't speak to the compatibility with those vehicles but it didn't work in my accord and went back.
Perhaps try a Britax Parkway. It doesn't require head support.

At least one person here has been told that the Radian needs head support. http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=2917167&postcount=15 The Diono tech apparently said the manual confirms? That post said the Sunshine Kids manual didn't specify, but perhaps the Diono manual is different? Anyway, I would probably go over the manual with a fine tooth comb if I was the OP and give Diono a call to confirm.

MotoMommaNH

Oh geez Diono strikes again 😏 sorry OP, they are somewhat known for flip flopping information. Ask to see if you can get a hold of Alanna Pinkerton. She's the CPST.

tribord

Ok, I looked at both the Radian XTSL and Monterey manuals and could not find anything in either about head support required behind the seats (except of course the Montery in Nbb mode).

I tried to put my 4Runner headrests in behind the XTSLs. They push the car seats forwards a little bit. Is that ok? I can put the headrests in backwards (and then they don't push the car seats forward) but they won't lock in that way. However, they still require a fair amount of force to pull out, I just don't have to push in the release button. If the car went upside-down a few times I'm not sure 100% they'd stay put. Should I just take the headrests out again behind the XTSLs? I am planning to put a new Monterey in the 4Runner very soon as DD (8 yrs) is reaching the XTSL height limit and we need her XTSL for my DS (5 yrs) to replace his crashed XT in my Corolla, so the headrest issue is relevant if I need to go off of Diono's verbal statements vs their written documentation.

Experiments with the Monterey and Corolla headrests will have to wait until those get back from the shop.

I am feeling frustrated and honestly don't even want to call Diono's to ask them about head support behind the Radians right now. I am sticking my head in the sand for the moment and don't want to hear their answer!
Posted via Mobile Device

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
There was something in the old Monterey manual. It wasn't clear it meant it required head support but Diono said it did mean that.

Maybe someone else remembers the wording so you can know what to look for.

featherhead

There was something in the old Monterey manual. It wasn't clear it meant it required head support but Diono said it did mean that.

Maybe someone else remembers the wording so you can know what to look for.

The sticker on the seat is apparently very clear. I don't have my Monterey anymore, or I would check what it says.

tribord

Diono was very clear with me on the phone about the Monterey needing head support, so I don't plan on sticking my head in the sand about that. I don't have my Monterey, either, but will check its stickers when I get it back.

What is the school of thought on the headrests pushing the car seats or HBB forward? Is it allowed, and if so, to what extent?
Posted via Mobile Device

Dillipop

Diono was very clear with me on the phone about the Monterey needing head support, so I don't plan on sticking my head in the sand about that. I don't have my Monterey, either, but will check its stickers when I get it back.

What is the school of thought on the headrests pushing the car seats or HBB forward? Is it allowed, and if so, to what extent?
Posted via Mobile Device

Whether it's allowed will vary by manufacturer and seat within the manufacturer. It should state in the manual. I can't remember what my Monterey manual said about it but I'm pretty sure the Clek booster allows a gap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tribord

The sticker on the seat is apparently very clear. I don't have my Monterey anymore, or I would check what it says.

My new Monterey just arrived today. IMO the manual still doesn't state the need for head support behind the HBB, but you are correct the sticker is quite clear.

image.jpg

It's probably there on my old Monterey, too, I just never read the stickers on it. :eek:

Anyway, not quibbling at all about the need for the head support for the Monterey, just seeing if I can make it work in my cars. Once I try it out I'll update with Monterey HBB compatibility or lack thereof.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
My new Monterey just arrived today. IMO the manual still doesn't state the need for head support behind the HBB, but you are correct the sticker is quite clear.

I read the new Monterey manual and the funny thing is, they specifically state you need a vehicle headrest when using it backless, implying that you don't with the back AND the vehicle seat they show the booster on, doesn't have a headrest. They really need to get their crap together and make this clear if they know it is that important.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC