Differance in Britax Seats

kflek

What are the main differances in the Marathon, Boulevard and Declathon? I was thinking of getting the Marathon but then after looking would one of the other 2 be a better safer seat? Are they easier to istall then the Marathon? I always have trouble installing car seats so the eaiser the better. I always stress when we travel that I won't be able to get the seat into the rental car!!!
Money is an issue which is why I was looking at the Marathon but for my daughters saftey I would pay more. In case you need her measurements she is 7 months, 16lbs and 29.5 -30 in. Thanks again!!!!

ADS

LuvBug

They are all the same basic mold, with slight variations.
The marathon is the base model, no extra padding and no extra bells and whistles.
The decathlon has added infant and toddler padding(pillows) and a push button release- it doesnt have the latch bar like the marathon and I prefer the latch bar :p
The boulevard has headwings that adjust at the turn of a knob and added padding(pillows), it does have the latch bar I love so much of the MA ;)

Ive heard that the boulevard has slightly lower top slots than the marathon and decathlon, and I think its because of how the harness adjusts.

Id also consider looking at the radian and the new como as well though. The MA/DC/BV use to be the longest lasting convertible... but not anymore. The radian has top slots 1" higher and the como has top slots that are 2" higher. The radian and como have their own cons though, no seat is perfect :D

crunchierthanthou

They all go to 33 lbs rf and 65 lbs ff. The top harness slots are 17" (though the BLVD may be slightly lower).

MA is most basic. The LATCH connectors are attached to a bars on each side of the outside of the shell
BLVD = MA + infinite harness adjuster with SIP wings
DC = taller RA (LATCH is one long strap that goes through the beltpath) + infant insert and multiple crotch buckle positions

kflek

They are all the same basic mold, with slight variations.
The marathon is the base model, no extra padding and no extra bells and whistles.
The decathlon has added infant and toddler padding(pillows) and a push button release- it doesnt have the latch bar like the marathon and I prefer the latch bar :p
The boulevard has headwings that adjust at the turn of a knob and added padding(pillows), it does have the latch bar I love so much of the MA ;)

Ive heard that the boulevard has slightly lower top slots than the marathon and decathlon, and I think its because of how the harness adjusts.

Id also consider looking at the radian and the new como as well though. The MA/DC/BV use to be the longest lasting convertible... but not anymore. The radian has top slots 1" higher and the como has top slots that are 2" higher. The radian and como have their own cons though, no seat is perfect :D

I bought the radian for her but thought about giving it to my son becasue I REALLY want a pretty seat for her. I haven't even installed it yet becasue it's been so hot!! I also was going to get the Signo for her but now I'm worried that it dosen't teether rearfacing. I really want to get her a girly seat (don't like the princess 80) but will I be wasting my money getting a Marathon over the others since she is so tall? Should I just bite the bullet and get 2 Radians or get the Signo (if it ever comes out) and not worry about rearfacing teether? I did see the Como and LOVE IT!!

LuvBug

If you liked the como I would get it. RF tethering isnt as important as ERF, rearfacing is SO safe already. If it will be in a truck where the seat may rebound into glass then I would push a RF tether, otherwise its just an added bonus. The como has such deep sidewings that I think IF it rebounds into anything she will be cocooned well.
It should save you money down the road to get a bigger seat than the MA... but if you dont mind saving up for another seat then you could still get a MA.
When looking at a seat you want to look at top slot height, weight limit for RF and FF, and shell height.
A seat is outgrown RFing when they hit the weight limit or hit the max RFing height limit(some seats its head even with top of shell, some its head 1" from top of shell). For forward facing the seat is outgrown when they hit the weight limit, their shoulders are over the top slots, or the tips of their ears are over the top of the shell.

Going by those guidelines the como is currently the longest last convertible, followed by the radian, and then the MA/DC/BV but I think the new triumph is competing with the MA there as well... its neck and neck for those 2 lol!

The stats on those 3 roughly are:
Britax- 65lbs, 17" top slots, 33lbs RFing, nice tall shell
Radian- 65lbs, 18" top slots, 33lbs RFing, nice tall shell
Como- 70lbs, 19" top slots, 35lbs RFing, nice tall shell

Now you really could get any of the 3, but if money is tight Id try for the one that will last the longest. I really did love my MA, and have never seen a radian or como in person so Im going purely by the reviews and photos that have been posted by others.

I really did love my MA though... I just hate that my own child outgrew it before I expected(hes a big kid though)

ETA: Of course I forgot to add, you need to make sure they will fit in your car properly before you decide lol! The radian is very long and sometimes doesnt fit well RFing in vehicles, and the como is pretty BIG it looks... so the MA might be your best option :p and since you would use the radian for your oldest you could pass it down to her when they need to switch and then you could buy him a harness seat like the regent or if he is ready by then, a booster seat.

Im sick, so please forgive my jumbledness :eek:

Last edited:

kflek

If you liked the como I would get it. RF tethering isnt as important as ERF, rearfacing is SO safe already. If it will be in a truck where the seat may rebound into glass then I would push a RF tether, otherwise its just an added bonus. The como has such deep sidewings that I think IF it rebounds into anything she will be cocooned well.
It should save you money down the road to get a bigger seat than the MA... but if you dont mind saving up for another seat then you could still get a MA.
When looking at a seat you want to look at top slot height, weight limit for RF and FF, and shell height.
A seat is outgrown RFing when they hit the weight limit or hit the max RFing height limit(some seats its head even with top of shell, some its head 1" from top of shell). For forward facing the seat is outgrown when they hit the weight limit, their shoulders are over the top slots, or the tips of their ears are over the top of the shell.

Going by those guidelines the como is currently the longest last convertible, followed by the radian, and then the MA/DC/BV but I think the new triumph is competing with the MA there as well... its neck and neck for those 2 lol!

The stats on those 3 roughly are:
Britax- 65lbs, 17" top slots, 33lbs RFing, nice tall shell
Radian- 65lbs, 18" top slots, 33lbs RFing, nice tall shell
Como- 70lbs, 19" top slots, 35lbs RFing, nice tall shell

Now you really could get any of the 3, but if money is tight Id try for the one that will last the longest. I really did love my MA, and have never seen a radian or como in person so Im going purely by the reviews and photos that have been posted by others.

I really did love my MA though... I just hate that my own child outgrew it before I expected(hes a big kid though)

ETA: Of course I forgot to add, you need to make sure they will fit in your car properly before you decide lol! The radian is very long and sometimes doesnt fit well RFing in vehicles, and the como is pretty BIG it looks... so the MA might be your best option :p and since you would use the radian for your oldest you could pass it down to her when they need to switch and then you could buy him a harness seat like the regent or if he is ready by then, a booster seat.

Im sick, so please forgive my jumbledness :eek:

It sounds good about the Marathon and passing down the Radian. Plus I hope by then we are making more money so we could afford a better one. Does anyone know the estimated age in a Marathon for a child in the 90% for height and for the Radian with a child over 97%. They are only 18 months apart so not sure if DS will out grow the Radian when she outgrows the Marathon.

LuvBug

its all about torso height. You can be 90% in overall height but then have a short torso. Where does he fit right now in the radian?

usually you will get to age 4-6 in the MA. DS was right before his 4th birthday... so almost in that group. My niece is looking like she will definitely make it to 4 if not longer. Id say at least to age 4 in the MA, just as something to project. In the radian it should be about a year longer.

If she outgrows the MA first you get him a new seat and give her the radian. If he outgrows the radian first you get him a new seat and either leave her in the MA or give her the radian... either way he should be the next one to need a new seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC