Dairy-free folks--give me your lunch ideas!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Casein is also found in Lactose Free & soy milks as well: there's Sodium, Calcium, Potassium & Magnesium, etc. Caseinates....

I was told at 14 years old (almost that many years ago now) that there's a separate protein missing from goats milk that is in cows milk, which is what I'm allergic to -- just can't remember what it's called.

ADS

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Yes, in lactose free milk and many things labeled "non-dairy" but not in soy milk, at least none that I have ever seen.

mamato2

OK, I admit to not having read all the posts on this thread but I wanted to share a site that a friend steered me too. It shows all sorts of yummy looking lunches in Laptop lunch boxes. I can't say how many are dairy free but I plan on looking at them for ideas from time to time for my kids lunches. Almost everything looks appealing and tasty. You might find some ideas www.flickr.com/groups/laptop_lunches/pool/ Haley might even pick out a few that she'd like to try !
C.

southpawboston

regarding allergies to goat versus cow milk:

the casein proteins from goat's milk and cow's milk are very similar, and can elicit the same allergic reaction in humans... this is what most likely accounts for the high percentage of humans also allergic to goat's milk (i've heard between 40% and 90% of people allergic to cow's milk are also allergic to goat's milk).

it is the albumin proteins that are more divergent (less similar) between goat and cow, and the goat's albumin is less allergenic to humans for some reason than cow's... so it may be that the people who are allergic to both goat's and cow's milk have developed their allergy to the caseins, while those people who are allergic to cow's milk but NOT goat's milk have their allergy directed against albumin.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Hey, I think that *is* the word I haven't been able to remember in all these years :thanx!: I kept thinking of a hilarious combination of aluminum & albuterol (for asthma) :rolleyes: I just haven't bothered looking it up because diet does the job & I haven't had the medical necessity to kick me into reasrching -- but now that I have the word, I'm going to keep on reading about it...!

Gypsy

Senior Community Member

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I have seen others debate in a health forum about casein in soy milk, but I wasn't interrested at the time to have paid any attention :rolleyes: I'm sure my sister would know (she's a nutritionist/dietician) :scratcheshead:

LEAW

afaik there is no casein in soy milk. BUT fwiw, when the body recognizes dairy protein it says "square peg" and reacts... when you look at soy protein shape under a microscope, it's also very close to "square peg" so there is a very high frequency of people who react to both dairy and soy.

My dd has a "real" dairy allergy (per allergist), but her soy "square peg" reaction is worse, though she never reacted to soy on allergy tests.

Soy milk is just soy beans soaked in water and blended to mush and then strained... there might be some soy milk makers who add extra proteins... same with almond and rice milks, if you mkae your own at home, you just soak thebeans and blend them up, or cook the rice...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC