Cybex Q-Fix -- anyone have one yet?

Athena

I completely agree about the imprecise measurements. That's annoying. Sorry it didn't work well for you. I've been amazed by how difficult it is to find the booster that works. Is the problem that the latch plate is too wide next to the belt? It might not work for us either then, but if you find it's narrower than the SGL by the lower belt buckle, please let me know. Thanks!

ADS

aporthole

I got mine directly from Cybex, and you're right, it's really hard to find otherwise.

So, the top shoulder height is 21" MINUS TWO FINGERS ... really. The measurement to the bottom of the headrest wings and belt guide is right at 21" BUT there's a note in the owner's manual that says:

"ONLY use this booster seat with the bottom of the Head Protection positioned at two fingers width above child's shoulders."

I personally find imprecise measurements like that really annoying -- whose fingers? Andre the Giant's, or my 18-month old's? A 5th percentile female's, or a 99th percentile male's?

Anyway, the bigger thing I'm disappointed with at this point is that it's not going to work in our '11 Honda Pilot - the belt stalks are too long and the latch plate interferes with the belt path. :( It'll have to go in our secondary vehicle, an '07 Sierra which has flush/rigid belt stalks. It would also probably work in the 3rd row of the Pilot, but I don't want her there, so for now I'm putting her back in Olli in 2nd row.

Once I get a bit more caught up around the house I'll try to take some pictures and compare with the Parkway ...

We also have a 2011 Pilot. I am super bummed to hear about the possible incompatibility with this seat. DS turns 5 tomorrow and I have been really wanting the Q-Fix to start some occasional booster training. I would probably start it in hubby's Jetta but if it won't work well in the 2nd row of the Pilot I don't think it will be a very good choice. He still has at least a year (probably more) left of fitting in the harness of the Maestro in hubby's car and years and years in his Frontier 90 in mine so hopefully something great will be out by then.

AK Dad, have you tried the Rodifix yet?

aporthole

Oh and, AK Dad, if you happen to have a chance, any way you could snap a picture or video of the latchplate belt path issue in the Pilot?

AK Dad

I've been amazed by how difficult it is to find the booster that works.

Totally! Boosters are really annoying ...

AK Dad, have you tried the Rodifix yet?

That was on my list also, and probably would have been a better choice, but I'm pretty much stuck with the Q-fix now based on the fact I paid out of pocket for shipping, which trust me is ridiculous to Anchorage. Had I bought this from Amazon with free returns I'd probably return it and try Rodifix. I think though having one kid in booster, only two cars, and now a Parkway SGL, an Olli, and a Q-fix I'd better just quit before my wife divorces me! :p (EDIT: Almost forgot, a BubbleBum too.) ;)

Oh and, AK Dad, if you happen to have a chance, any way you could snap a picture or video of the latchplate belt path issue in the Pilot?

Yep!
(Apologies for the coat, but it's still cold in our partially finished garage!)

BuckleStalk 1.jpg
So, notice how the latch plate is making the belt look like it's tight, but the buckle stalk itself is sitting there with lots of slack in it.

BuckleStalk 2.jpg
Here it is installed in the 3rd row with a flush buckle stalk and working correctly.

BuckleStalk 3.jpg
The Parkway SGL in the 2nd row for comparison. It's actually not great either, but much better and acceptable to me.

BuckleStalk 4.jpg
And here it is with Olli - actually better than the Parkway IMO.

Highest 1.jpg
Q-Fix in highest position

Highest 2.jpg
Parkway in highest position

Athena

Thanks for all the pics! It looks like the arm rest is lower and causing the belt to bend strangely. Is that right? And it's wider at the base/buckle than the SGL, right? Just making sure I'm interpreting the pics correctly. Is the Olli wider at the buckle than the SGL too? We're not ready for backless, but it's good to be aware of our possible future options too. ;)

The Cybex looks like it might be a bit taller than the SGL? But it looks so wide around the body, like my slim DD would be swimming in it. How does your DD feel about that? Well, it's probably not an option for us, especially without being able to try it commitment free (e.g. amazon free returns).

newyorkDOC

Yep, and that's even without the LSP pads installed - it is nice and narrow at the base though, so puzzles easily with RF seat next to it.
so basically it'd take up 2/3 of the backseat of my Prius. A car seat doesn't fit in the middle of the European Prius (too narrow, and for some reason unbeknownst to me, the belt is super short and doesn't allow for European routing) so puzzling isn't an issue unfortunately. I guess I'll get the x2fix then :)

AK Dad

Thanks for all the pics! It looks like the arm rest is lower and causing the belt to bend strangely. Is that right? And it's wider at the base/buckle than the SGL, right? Just making sure I'm interpreting the pics correctly. Is the Olli wider at the buckle than the SGL too? We're not ready for backless, but it's good to be aware of our possible future options too. ;)

The Cybex looks like it might be a bit taller than the SGL? But it looks so wide around the body, like my slim DD would be swimming in it. How does your DD feel about that? Well, it's probably not an option for us, especially without being able to try it commitment free (e.g. amazon free returns).

You bet!
I'd say the arm rest is a bit lower, but really it's the fact that it tapers toward the back a lot further and ends up being a narrow "slot" more than other boosters - just isn't designed for floppy belt stalks. This was actually an issue with my imported Britax Multi-Tech - the non-bypassable lockoffs are very low and don't work with floppy buckle stalks, so I think they must be uncommon or maybe even not allowed in euro-spec vehicles.
As for wider at the base, I don't think so - I'd say it's about the same, maybe even a bit narrower at the actual base than the SGL. In fact, it fits the contours of the seats on my Sierra better than the SGL that wants to tilt a little. The armrests do seem to flare out just a bit more, but not much.
Olli is roughly the same width also at the belt path - it's just more square front to back, so it probably makes it look wider.
As for the upper body width, keep in mind the Cybex automatically widens as you raise the headrest, so that pic of her with the headrest all the way up is a bit artificial and with it down a bit further it fits better. Was going to post a pic, but I guess I'm out of storage space. Also, my daughter tends to lean forward when she's in a HBB, which is why I am actually liking the LBB since the Honda already has good head support, adjustable shoulder belt, and SIP airbags.

so basically it'd take up 2/3 of the backseat of my Prius. A car seat doesn't fit in the middle of the European Prius (too narrow, and for some reason unbeknownst to me, the belt is super short and doesn't allow for European routing) so puzzling isn't an issue unfortunately. I guess I'll get the x2fix then :)

I'm guessing you'd get 2 of them in the back of a Prius, but yeah, noting in the middle even if it were allowed.

aporthole

Thank you for all the pics. Hmmm, would you call the Q in the 2nd row a total incompatibility or more just iffy? If you say it is a complete no go, I can forget it and move on. If it is just iffy them I still may be tempted especially if its primary home would be in hubby's Jetta.

I know it would be super inconvenient for daily use, but would belt stalk twisting be permitted with a booster?

AK Dad

Thank you for all the pics. Hmmm, would you call the Q in the 2nd row a total incompatibility or more just iffy? If you say it is a complete no go, I can forget it and move on. If it is just iffy them I still may be tempted especially if its primary home would be in hubby's Jetta. I know it would be super inconvenient for daily use, but would belt stalk twisting be permitted with a booster?

IMO it's a no-go for the Pilot 2nd row - if you could find somewhere to try before you buy, I'd like to get a second opinion, but otherwise I'd look elsewhere. Had I bought it from someplace with free returns I'd be sending mine back, but I'm just stuck with a ridiculously expensive 2nd car booster!

As for twisting belt stalk, I'd do it in an emergency, but certainly not "plan A" - not sure what the "official" take on it is, but my guess would be "no" (like most official CPS answers).

aporthole

Is there room for the latch plate to go under the lip of the armrest? If you take the buckle out of the little black retainer band so it extends more does that help get it more fully under the arm rest into a better position?

AK Dad

Is there room for the latch plate to go under the lip of the armrest? If you take the buckle out of the little black retainer band so it extends more does that help get it more fully under the arm rest into a better position?

Not really - it still makes the belt and buckle lie in an unnatural position that I don't think would work well in a crash. Also, you'd have to either teach the kid to position it that way every time or check it yourself which sorta defeats the purpose of a booster IMO ...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC