Craigslist car seats for sale

abttrflykss

How leary would you be to buy car seats on a site like Craigslist? I saw
this ad and emailed them asking for the DOM and if they were involved in any accidents.

ADS

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
It is never ever a good idea to buy used carseats. You're trusting this stranger with your child's life.

There are plenty of NEW carseat choices for all kinds of budgets. Are you looking for something in particular?

abttrflykss

My dd is going to be a year in less then 2 weeks, I already converted her over to the Triumph Advance in my truck (RFing, which she will be til she's over the seats RFing weight/height limits). We plan on buying another brand new seat for hubby's car (NOT the TA b/c it is HUGE in my truck and he has a little car). I was looking for a seat for the babysitter to use since she runs errands when she has my dd on occasion. (Right now she uses the infant seat, but my dd will be outgrowing it soon). I didn't want to buy a brand new seat for her since it won't be used on a daily basis. I know the Sceneras are under $40 at Walmart, but I don't particularly care for that seat (my dd falls asleep easily and that seat doesn't look like it will protect her or hold her head from flopping over/down on the chest clip).

abttrflykss

I'll consider that for hubby's car, but I don't want to spend that much on a seat for the babysitter.

Is it safer to buy a seat on Ebay then something like Craigslist? Or is that not recommended either?

Also, is the Scenera a good choice for a 3 year old who weighs about 33lbs? Would they get good use out of it? (Found a lady on Freecycle looking for a carseat and I'm emailing her to let her know to be cautious of getting a free seat from someone she doesn't "know". I was thinking of suggestinn this seat to her)

scatterbunny

For a 3yo/33# child I'd steer clear of the Scenera, it only has 15ish inch top slots. I'd look at an Evenflo Chase/Vision/Traditions instead. These are forward-facing only with 17ish inch top slots and also convert to a booster when the harness is outgrown at 40 pounds, and they are the most economical harnessed booster/combo seats out there with reasonably tall top slots (lots of folks gravitate toward the Cosco highback boosters, but they have very short top slots, no taller than the Scenera, yet are marketed for kids who have outgrown convertibles like the Scenera and need a seat to take them to a safe booster size and age :rolleyes: ).

As for buying used seats, I would only consider buying used seats from a CPST.

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
Have you tried your daughter in a Scenera? I have one and like it--rearfacing and with the correct recline, head flopping should not be a problem.

abttrflykss

No I haven't tried her in it, but with my older dd, we had her in the Eddie Bauer AIO (I'm aware it's a totally different seat) and she had issues with her head flopping over.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
The Scerena has more side support then the AO because it doesn't turn into a booster. I think the Scerena would be a great choice. If you have head flop problems then I would go see a tech.

I would not purchase a used seat from anyone I didn't know. I guess I don't trust other people to care for my children as much as I do. They could always lie just because they want to make a buck.

What are the DOM?

Stefanie

abttrflykss

The Scerena has more side support then the AO because it doesn't turn into a booster. I think the Scerena would be a great choice. If you have head flop problems then I would go see a tech.

Ok, I think I will check out this seat at Walmart or BRU and see.

I would not purchase a used seat from anyone I didn't know. I guess I don't trust other people to care for my children as much as I do. They could always lie just because they want to make a buck.

That's my thinking, and that's why I email them asking for DOM info and if it was in an accident....depending on how they answer is how I follow up.

What are the DOM?

Other then the one I OPed (which is now deleted....hmmmm), I haven't come across any that I was considering. I just wanted to see what other's thoughts were on second-hand seats from sites like Craigslist and Ebay.

Misty-Bug

I would never buy a second hand seat. Due to the fact that it can be a situation where you can be lied to or falsely informed. Now if it was a friend and I KNEW that she hadn't been in an accident then I would consider it.
I have an AOE. I have no problems with my sons head flopping forward. I did when the tech installed it but found out it was not reclined enough and I put pool noodles to a better height under it and I have had ZERO problems

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Trusting someone about a used carseat is like trusting them to come into your house and babysit your child. If you wouldn't trust the person you're getting the seat from to do that, you shouldn't trust the seat they're selling/giving away.

sanctareparata

I vote for the Scenera as well. If you need more recline, as we did, use a noodle. Both our kids are carseat sleepers and neither had head flop in those seats. In their Triumphs they did, however.

Melanie

Something else to think about with used seats...the previous owner may be giving you the correct info as they know it, but the seat still has an issue. Such as what if grandma washed the straps and they didn't know.

amyg530

Something else to think about with used seats...the previous owner may be giving you the correct info as they know it, but the seat still has an issue. Such as what if grandma washed the straps and they didn't know.

:yeahthat:
also what if they got it used also, then you'll never know the real story, and if the seat has since been deleted from craigslist, thats a sign right there as to why to not get a used seat. it sounds like you want to keep your child as safe as possible by RF to the limit, which is awesome, but keep in mind, RF in a seat thats possibly unsafe, doesnt do you much good.

i think the scenera would be a great seat for the sitter, DS used one and i never had any problems with his head when he was RF in it

ETA: there is only one person who i would trust a used seat from, and shes on this board (actually introduced me to it). i dont even trust family, i was considering asking my aunt for a seat she had, till i found out that everytime they fly (which is often) they check the seats with the luggage, and they dont seem to think that anything could be wrong with that unless there is actual visible damage to the seats. last time they flew they watched the seats get literally thrown into the plane, and they ended up with a broken parkway, and probably a damamged MA but they only thought it was a problem with the parkway, b/c you could see the damage. so bottom line, unless you know for a fact, that the person you're getting the seat from, is a carseat nut, then i wouldnt use it

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC