Convince me I need or don't need a new seat

msg221

To answer the OP question, I say get a new seat just because! I didn't HAVE to get a new one, but I was dying to try that FR90 to see if it really is as easy to install as all the videos I've seen. Well, my zebra FR90 was delivered to me yesterday at work and I spent a whole five minutes of my lunch hour installing it. That time included me hauling it to my car, uninstalling the Argos, unpacking the FR90, and then the one minute it took me to install it! I'm in :love: I really think I want to get one more, then sell my FR85 (though I will miss my Cowmoo!). I haven't had DH try to install it yet, which will be the big test! Hell, he doesn't even know I bought it! He was out mowing the front yard after work yesterday so I brought the Argos and the FR90 box inside! Actually, we are going on a short road trip tomorrow. I should see if he even notices the Zebra in the back!

ADS

AK Dad

Just a quick note, I apologize to the OP that we've gone a bit OT! Not sure if there's a way for the mods to "unwind" this thread and separate it out, but I do want to continue the discussion ...

You might consider sending Sarah Tilton a quick note letting her know that you've found a seating position where ClickTight doesn't work. Based on what she said in the webinar, that would be a first, and I have a feeling she'd be interested.

Well, full disclosure here, it probably would pass the 1" test based on the way the standardized curriculum describes it. Here I go again with my opinions that parts of the standardized curriculum are inadequate, but that's my opinion. While I agree for side-to-side movement you shouldn't "reef" on the seat with all of your strength, but IMO you should in the fore/aft direction. My reason for this is, when we're talking about pre-tensioning the seat, we're talking about maximizing ride-down time, and if there's any slack you're losing critical milliseconds that could be reducing the peak force experienced by the occupant.
Here's some simple math to show my point:
Let's say to make it easy that we've got an acceleration impulse of 30G, which is actually less than what seats are tested to. For the sake of argument, let's just look at the "fore/aft" vector of that force (since the actual forces on the seat and restraint system are much more complicated and change throughout the crash sequence) but in the initial moments of the crash they're roughly "forward."
Now let's take our FR90, and put a 65# child in it so the total mass is roughly 90#, so 90# x 30G = 2700 pounds of force. I realize this is an over-simplification of the answer since I realize that 30G impulse doesn't occur instantaneously, and the belt stretches, and the seat cushion deforms, etc. - just trying to show the general magnitude of the forces we're talking about.
Now, I'm not a bodybuilder (and in fact avoid the gym as much as possible) but there's no way that I'm going to come close to that in my "shake test," so my personal standard is zero detectable movement in the fore/aft shake test (or at least that's what I strive for.)

Anyway, all of that being said, I think most techs and parents on this forum would not be comfortable with the install I was able to achieve in this case, because with my "pretty solid" pull on the seat, which I would estimate at under 50lbs, the seat moved forward almost 5" on average.

So, all of that being said, do you still think Britax would be interested in hearing about it, or am I just going to sound like a raving lunatic? :D

That is freaking amazing! That seat is one of the hardest hbb spots like in the history of... ever. I wonder how easily a kid could get that buckled with his/her hand having to maneuver right against the shell like that? (Even without another seat next to it.)

It's the actual buckling that I was curious about. I'm just .. blown away here!

This is one of those interesting examples of where I still have little to no experience since I don't have any of my kiddos in boosters yet! I didn't find it too difficult, even with the small gap and having to snake my hand down in there pretty far, but I guess that doesn't mean a child wouldn't. If I get a chance this weekend I might try setting it up again and seeing if my 5.5yo can do it.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
it probably would pass the 1" test based on the way the standardized curriculum describes it. Here I go again with my opinions that parts of the standardized curriculum are inadequate,

Actually, 1 inch of movement the way the curriculum describes it is much stricter than testing conditions. Testing standards require a certain tension on the belt, not testing for movement of the carseat itself at all. The required tension rarely installs seats tightly enough to maintain less than an inch of movement.

AK Dad

Actually, 1 inch of movement the way the curriculum describes it is much stricter than testing conditions. Testing standards require a certain tension on the belt, not testing for movement of the carseat itself at all. The required tension rarely installs seats tightly enough to maintain less than an inch of movement.

Hmm - that's interesting - do you suppose that's on purpose, kind of like how they have to pass w/o TT attached since they assume nobody's going to use it? Maybe they're assuming a loose install as well?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC