Convertible to fit newbie

U

Unregistered

Hi, I have quite a dilemma. I need 3 convertible seats that can fit a newborn for my car DF's truck (regular cab nissain) and my moms ford edge. These are the things I'm looking for

I drive a 97 Honda accord 4 door, seat belts lock so not to concerned there, thinking headwise70

DF drives a single cab truck no passenger airbag seatbelts do not lock (its a 95)I not only need a convertible that has lock offs but one that has an antirebound feature (and of course fits newborns)

Grandma- I would like a seat with the easy latch connectors. It will be staying in the car most of the time but might have to be taken out on occasion.

We are expecting a 6-7lb baby. I do not want a bucket at all I don't want to plop down an extra 160 on bases and still have to drop money again on a convertible. I plan on baby wearing

ADS

MamaErin

The headwise 70 has had a few complaints about crotch strap length and buckles but nothing horrible if that is the seat you want it's a good choice, you could also look at the myride 65, some prefer it to the mysize, myself included.

For your DH's truck you could look at the Combi Cocorro. It is a shorter seat so usually doesn't last a long time RF but will get most kids to the recommended 2 years at least. It has the lock offs and rebound tether and fits newborns great and also fits great in small spaces. I am not sure if there is a place to tether it in the truck though....you may need something with a rebound bar instead of the tether?

For something with easy LATCH the evenflo symphony 65 comes to mind...it is also a little on the shorter side but if you aren't expecting a big baby that probably won't matter. It has the sureLATCH technology where you basically clip the connectors on, push down on the seat, and it tightens itself.

There may be others that have easy LATCH systems as well, I don't use LATCH in my cars so I'm not sure what else there is in that department, I have a friend that had the symphony and LOVED the easy LATCH install.

ETA: Do you have specific rear facing goals? If you are planning to make it beyond 2 years there may be better options to last that long.

Last edited:

Stelvis

For the truck seat I'd go with a Roundabout 55 w/newborn insert over a Coccoro. It's cheaper but still has lockoffs and anti rebound.

U

Unregistered

I'm really looking for more of the easy latch connectors like the britax seats, what seats have an antirebound bar other than the truefit, I doubt that will fit a newborn I feel like the harness is to wide. Yeah I don't know how I'm going to tether a seat in the front. What about the peg convertible?

MommyShannon

I like Britax for newborns too but I'm not sure if you can find a place to tether a rear tether for anti rebound in a truck. The True Fit Premier has an anti rebound bar (so no tether used rf) and lock offs but probably won't fit a small baby at first. You could use one of the other seats until the baby fits it though.
The Britax LATCH connectors are easy and its easy to install but I sometimes have trouble loosening the LATCH straps.
ETA: if her seatbelts lock, it might be easier for her to install that way. Britax seats are great for newborns and for ease of use but aren't the tallest available. My average to small 3 year old is getting close to outgrowing it rf while probably having a year left rf in her True Fit Premier and Safety First Complete Air (this wouldn't fit a nb).

MamaErin

For the truck seat I'd go with a Roundabout 55 w/newborn insert over a Coccoro. It's cheaper but still has lockoffs and anti rebound.

Just curious where you find the roundabout cheaper at? The babies r us website has them at the same price as the CCO.

Stelvis

Just curious where you find the roundabout cheaper at? The babies r us website has them at the same price as the CCO.

BRU's website has the CCO for $170 and the RA55 for $145. Add the newborn insert at $15 and it's still cheaper.

ETA: and it's an inch taller by harness height and 1.5" taller by shell height, so it will last longer. Plus the premium LATCH connectors and ease of install.

canadiangie

In this case I would actually consider a long lasting infant seat. :eek:

A Graco Snugride 35 comes mind. Has a lock-off on the base, can be used baseless. Leave the handle in position A (ie: up) for rebound management.

A 6-7 pound baby should make it at least 12 months in it. All of my kids have lasted closer to age 2.

You can still baby wear - just leave the seat on the base and take baby out.

Heck, installing the base with a seatbelt takes about 30 seconds. It's one of the easiest seats to install, by far.

Just a thought ..

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC