Convertible Seat Suggestions???

mommy2jana

It's been a while since I've been on here! I need some suggestions for a convertible seat for my youngest DD. I know she's only 2 months old and no where near outgrowing her KeyFit 30, but I like to do my research! I had the Chicco KeyFit 30 picked out for her seat way before we even conceived her!

Since I haven't been around here in a while, I'm not up to date on all the new seats on the market. I definitely want to RF as long as possible - oldest DD was RF until 3 yrs 9 mos!

I had a Britax Marathon with DD1, and I loved it! Easy to install in most every vehicle! My sister has a Britax Boulevard for my nephew and it looks nice as well.

I drive a 2008 Nissan Altima (4 dr). The baby will most likely stay outboard since she is RF and DD1 usually rides outboard as well because of school car lines and her seat won't fit right next to the baby's.

So....tell me about the new seats on the market! Should I stick with Britax? What's the pros and cons of the Marathon vs. Boulevard? Are there any other great seats I should consider?

TIA!!!

ADS

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I'd look at the Graco MyRide. It will RF to 40lb. and FF to 65lb. Unless your baby is super tall, this seat *may* get you to booster age (may not but close). It has deep side wings so good SIP, nice infant inserts, easy to install. Plus, you can pick one up for $130-$150.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
At the moment, we're recommending the Graco MyRide, Safety 1st Complete Air, Sunshine Kids Radian, and First Years True Fit. Evenflo is upping the Triumph Advance to a 40lb limit, and introducing the Momentum soon, so that will make five convertibles 40lbs plus.

Everything on that list except the TrueFit goes to 40lbs; the TF only goes to 35 but has a very tall shell so is good for taller, lighter children. Additionally, if you want *the* longest RF seat, some Radians go to 45lbs. They can be tricky (or impossible) to install in some vehicles, though.

FF, the Complete Air goes to 50lb, everything else to 65, with the 45lb RF Radians going to 80lb.

The recommendations usually vary dependent on whether you have short, stocky children or long, skinny kids. Since your daughter was able to RF so long in a 35lb seat, I would stick to the Complete Air, Radian, or even the True Fit. As much as I love my MyRide, it will probably be outgrown by height before weight by your daughter.

Britax isn't recommended nearly as much any more largely due to the fact that other seats have higher RF weights, more RF legroom, and higher top slots. There have also been a few questions about their safety FFing, due to some tests from Transport Canada. While those tests are not definitive, and do not make the seats unsafe, they have given some members pause about using the seats FFing.

Hope that helps some. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC