Convertible rear-facing in an '09 Forester?

S

SubaruDriver

I babysit a little girl who is almost 10 months old. She has outgrown her Chicco Keyfit (by height, she's 30" but only about 20 pounds). That base fit wonderfully in my '09 Forester. Unfortunately, I can't get a good, tight install on my seats AT ALL with the Cosco Scenera that her mom bought to replace it. In addition, that seat has sharp bottoms and my car has leather seats. Lastly, uninstalling/reinstalling that car seat every time we do a handoff is a lot harder than with the Keyfit! So, I decided to get my own carseat. I did some research and picked out an Evenflo Triumph LX from Target, but they aren't carrying it anymore. I bought a Safety First All-In-One, but that doesn't install well either--I think the base is too wide for the seat, which has quite a lot of curve up at the side. My car manual says that rear center install is a last resort (because of the shape of the seat there, I guess). So, fellow Forester drivers and/or car seat gurus, what do you recommend? I'd like to spend as little as possible but DEFINITELY less than $150. If the seat would be suitable for a newborn, that would be doubly good because we will be trying to conceive ourselves very soon. Thanks in advance for your help!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'm sorry you're having trouble, but I'm kind of glad. The Triumph has a 37" limit rear facing, so not great for a very tall 10 month old. The Scenera has a 36" limit, so even worse. The All in One is not at all a recommended seat. As you found the seat is large with a difficult install.

Under $150 I'd look at the Graco Contender and Evenflo SureRide/Titan 65 as ones that should fit the 10 month old for a long time and a newborn.

Subaru allows an install in the middle. The wording in the manual is a holdover from previous generations when the middle was a bear, and the seats of the day weren't as easy as today's. You'll do a seatbelt install there. Was your Forester involved in the recall, though, and if so has it been fixed? That might be an issue with a center install. http://www.thecarconnection.com/new...ubaru-forester-recalled-for-seat-belt-problem

I've never had a problem in a Subaru with a single seat. The Contender will take up less front to back space, but it's more expensive than the Evenflo SureRide/Titan 65. It has a no rethread harness, though, so if you have a newborn and have another child in it randomly it's easy to adjust between them.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC