Convertible for 1yo, lap belt installation

diaperjoys

May I get some recommendations for convertibles that would work for a 20lb. 1yo who is just now outgrowing his Chicco Keyfit? The seat will be installed in the center of an Excursion, using a lap belt. The seat needs to install easily, and it needs to last until the child no longer needs a 5 pt. harness.\

Thanks so much!

EDIT - the vehicle is an EXCURSION, not the explorer that I mistakenly typed in earlier.

Last edited:
ADS

1mommy

Can you give us some more details please? Is your child tall or short? Do you know if your child has a long torso (what shirt size/pant size do they wear)? What is your budget? How long do you want to rear face your child (keeping in mind American Association of Pediatrics recommends until at least 2, and National Highway Transit Authority recommends until at least 4).
Do you have a tall person in the front seat therefore needing more leg room?

Without knowing details I would suggest a convertible with lock offs (making the seat belt install easier) Some suggestions are the Chicco Nextfit or the True Fit Premier, Clek Foonf, or a Britax (but Britax might not last you until Booster age)

diaperjoys

To answer the questions...

- Mom is trying to keep her 3-across setup, with a 12yo on one side of the baby, and a 4yo (nautilus) on the other. She says she'll put the 12yo in the third row if necessary, but it isn't her preference. I don't like recommending that option, because there are no headrests in the 3rd row. They've made the parental decision in the past that they are fine with no headrests, but I'd love to give them some options that keep all three kids on that second row.

- The baby is average size, parents are average to short, so no concerns about front to back space.

- budget hasn't been mentioned as a concern. I think they'll go for whatever seat would install well and fit well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC