Question Convertible Car Seat Recommendations?

U

Unregistered

I need to purchase 2-3 car seats for my 2-year old. He's only around 33" long, but weighs 27+ lbs. I have multiple family members who take turns picking him up from the sitter every day, and each would likely need their own car seat.

I am looking for something that is light and easy to use and install with seatbelt (most of them use their cars for work and would need to take the car seat out frequently). Everyone's car pre-dates LATCH (2000 Honda CR-V, 2000 Toyota 4Runner, older model Honda Accord), so it would need to be installed with a seatbelt.

We have a Chicco NextFit with LATCH install in our vehicle, and are considering buying more of these for everyone else. Would this seat be appropriate or is there something that would fit their needs better?

Unfortunately, I live in an area without a Babies 'R Us or similar, which makes it difficult to try anything out before buying. I usually either order things online or at the Target in town.

ADS

meljc

Have you ever installed the Nextfit with a seatbelt? It's awesome! :jive: If it's in your budget, you could consider getting more of them (currently $209 on amazon I believe). Obviously you don't need a seat with a lock-off if the car's belts lock on their own, but I always feel like I can get a better install with a lock-off versus locking at a retractor.

U

Unregistered

How good are your family members at installing seats? Does your son ride rear or forward facing?

My son currently is rear-facing. My family members have experience installing his infant seat (KeyFit 30), but with my husband's help.

babyherder

I guess a better question is how dedicated are your relatives at making sure seats are installed correctly? If they're willing to learn how to properly install a seat even if it isn't completely easy you could get something cheaper than a nextfit. If you think they won't, I'd probably go with the Nextfit for ease of installation. Do you have a budget in mind?

U

Unregistered

I guess a better question is how dedicated are your relatives at making sure seats are installed correctly? If they're willing to learn how to properly install a seat even if it isn't completely easy you could get something cheaper than a nextfit. If you think they won't, I'd probably go with the Nextfit for ease of installation. Do you have a budget in mind?

They're willing to learn, but I'm not sure if they'll be able to correctly install it if it's too difficult, especially my mom. Budget-wise, I had planned for something in the range of the Nextfit, so that would be doable if it makes the most sense.

babyherder

I'd probably start with buying one Netfix and letting all your family members try to install it in their vehicles. If it works for all of them, go ahead and get more. If not, look into something else. The only reason you might want a different seat is to get something with a higher rf weight limit such as the Foonf of some of the Diono seats.

jess71903

Ambassador
I'll be the voice of dissent and say I would get Surerides for everybody. They're pretty straightforward as far as installation goes. I'd be hard pressed to spend $200 a seat for the non-primary vehicle, though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC