combination seat?

U

Unregistered

I'm in the market for a new car seat...I thought a convertible seat. Have a Radian (3 yr old ff 35 lb) and Marathon (19 mths rf 25 lb). I thought I wanted to buy the 19 mth old a new seat and move the Marathon to my husband's car as our '2nd' for the 3 yr old when we have to have them at different places. someone mentioned that they thought i should be lookign for a combination seat for the 3 yr old instead.
What is a combo seat and how does it diff from a convertible (I plan to leave my kids in a 5 pt harness as long as humanly possible)? AND why should I move my 3yr into a new seat vs. a new one for my 19 mth old?
Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
A combination seat is a forward facing only harness to booster seat. A convertible converts from rear to forward facing.

Since you're not using the seat rear facing you may as well pass down what you have to the child who will, then buy seats that will last longer for the three year old.

There is no reason to harness as long as humanly possible. Harnessing until booster maturity is what you need to do, usually between five and six years old. Beyond that is not unsafe, but unless the child cannot sit still properly, it's also not necessary.

I'd look at the Evenflo SecureKid, Graco Nautilus, Graco Argos, Harmony Defender, Recaro ProSport, and Britax Frontier.

Wendy

Stelvis

Yeah, the reason why is that harness heights are higher on the above combination seats than they are on convertibles, so your child can have a longer torso before outgrowing the harness.

H

HIMomma

Every time I think I've figured something out as far as seats go, I read something else. :)

Okay, so based on this post & replies, it seems a combo seat is the way to go and definitely more economical. I thought the Radian was good for a LONG while for kids (like 75lbs or something). And why did you suggest putting the young kid in the marathon vs. the radian?

Sorry to highjack this post, but now I'm confused as to what I should do for my kiddo! Thanks

Stelvis

Yes but remember the Radian has much lower top slots. Almost no child will max out a seat by weight before height. So high weight limits are deceptive. Radian top slots are 17.5", my 4 year old would just barely still fit in it, and he's 36-37 lbs. He'll be 5 stepping in a seatbelt by the time he's 75 lbs. Now, he's exceptionally tall and thin, but even still an average kid will likely outgrow the Radian at 50 lbs.

The Frontier's top slots are just about 20", that's a couple more years at least of torso growth.

As far as which convertible for the 19 month old, it doesn't really matter, except I was thinking give the shorter seat to the younger child.

MommyShannon

I agree with just buying a combo seat, but a different set up. The Marathon has a 17" top slot which is pretty good ff. It has a shorter shell than some convertibles though if its the Marathon 70. To keep your 19 month old rf as long as possible, I'd move him to the radian when he starts outgrowing the MA or now. Buy a combo seat since they will last longer ff and can be handed down. All the ones listed except for the Frontier have around 18-18.5" harnesses. If your child is taller than average, the Frontier is the tallest available. You could use the combo seat as your spare or move one of your convertibles.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC