Choosing a convertible seat: Britax? Recaro? Other?

abbyful

LO is 3 months old and will probably still be in his infant seat for a while, but I want to start watching prices for a convertible seat. At his 2 month doctor visit, he was 12 pounds (50% for weight) and 23.5 inches (75% for height).

His infant seat is a Britax B-Safe. I was thinking of Britax for his convertible seat too, probably either Boulevard or Pavillion, but I've been reading that they are quickly outgrown because of a shorter shell.

I also came across Recaro ProRide, they seem to have great reviews but I've never seen one in-person.

Another I've only seen online is the Diono Radian RXT, but I don't like how it's not deep in the sides. I've read good things about it, but for some reason it bothers me it doesn't have as much of the bucket-feel as the other seats.

It seems way more complicated choosing a convertible seat than an infant seat!

I drive a 2005 Saturn Vue.

ADS

Baylor

The thing is that the radian will keep your child most likely rearfacing the longest. 45 lbs rfing and has a really tall shell.

Don't worry about the brand so much, be more concerned about what will fit your child and your car the best.

Mercuria

I can probably help a little bit. I started out really, really wanting a ProRIDE. It looked so safe with all its surround-ness. Plus, it was from Recaro. They make racing seats, MADE for crashes.

I went with a Radian.

I learned here that the ProRIDE has nearly no leg room (though this doesn't bother all kids). I also learned that just being rear-facing has side impact protection benefits. Very good side impact protection benefits. And the Radian, which I previously called "a board with a harness" is not as flat as it appears (though still pretty shallow). Reviews for the ProRIDE mentioned how hard it is to load a child into the seat because of the high sides.

I also looked at the Graco MySize 70 (basically the same seat as the Graco Size4Me). While I liked it very much, I was concerned about a few things, the crotch space being the most important. They have since changed their instructions to allow both crotch strap positions rear-facing, so that may actually be addressed.

Another concern was the buckle. I don't particularly like it, but it wasn't a deal-breaker for me. It bothers some people more than others, so I wouldn't write it off because of the buckle.

My third concern was specific to my son. He likes sitting upright (very upright), and I wasn't sure how reclined it would install for me.

It's definitely a seat worth looking at again, when we're ready for another seat. In the meantime, I'm stalking the Chicco NextFit, due out some time mid-next-year.

ETA: Forgot to mention that the Graco is awesome because it's really tall (taller than the Radian), which means it'll last longer rear-facing.

Chris

I have a BLVD 70 and my son will outgrow it by height fairly soon so I too, am looking over my options so that I can keep him rearfacing (he is 2 1/2). The Graco size 4 me (70) is very tall, which is awesome and it looks like most of the initial complaints that people had about it have been worked out. I need to try it in my car to see how it is on legroom and how hard it is to lift up and over the side. That is something that I didn't mind until recently with my BLVD, but it is getting harder and harder to crunch my son into a ball to lift him up and into the BLVD without bonking his head or getting his legs hung up (the lack of legroom doesn't bother him, but it annoys me because I am finding it harder to buckle him than it was when there weren't legs all over the place). So the depth which I like for side impact is now becoming an issue because it makes the use harder.

The Radian is a seat with a steel frame, it folds up to carry, can be stowed in an overhead bin for travel, is narrow, has a great high weight and tall back for rearfacing and the lower sides make it easy for a kid to climb in by themselves. It has passed all of the same side impact tests that other car seats pass in the US, so it is hard to say that it isn't as safe in a side impact collision (I know, those deep sided seats just look so much safer though). It also has great legroom rearfacing and good leg support front facing. It can be tricky to install in some cars and is outright incompatible with others due to it's low belt path. For some people (has a lot to do with the seats in their car) it is very reclined rearfacing. I really want to love it, but I haven't been able to get a good install in my car and I feel like a seat that costs that much should be more user friendly and that irritates the heck out of me.

I am hoping that we can hold out in the BLVD until the Chicco Nextfit comes out so that we can see if that is a better option. Wish there were a great and easy answer to this question!

Mercuria

Haha, that's exactly how I've been feeling about it seeing it only in pictures!

It really looks like that in the pictures, doesn't it? I'm not sure if the old (Sunshine Kids) Radians were different, but ours has side "walls" on the back of the seat. It's actually deeper on the back than it looks, and the low sides turn out to be an asset (I'm not sure what I thought they should have been containing anyway... Legs don't really go completely in the seat pan once they're past a certain length, and they'd probably fly up in a crash regardless). The "walls" on the back are EPS foam-lined, as well.

This post helped change my mind about having a deep seat as a requirement, though I still got the RXT for the head wings. I figure that the Harness should keep the torso in position for the Radian's sides, but if we're not moving and we get hit on the side, he could be leaning his head forward (If we're moving, the impact will slow the vehicle, pressing him into the seat anyway).

My best advice to you, though, is to wait a while (unless, like me, you want another seat now for other reasons). Who knows what may be out by the time your little one needs another seat.

Here are some links about the NextFit (and some Foonf info thrown in):
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=228937
http://carseatblog.com/18388/first-peek-chicco-nextfit-65-convertible/
http://carseatblog.com/19006/abc-show-day-2-chicco-and-clek/

These seats aren't available yet, but should be by the time your son needs a new seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC