Question Choices...*Please* help me pick a booster seat

fiandbrismom

My DD is going to turn 7 next week, so we are ready to go from our Marathon to a Booster (her infant seat was a Chicco). She has just turned 40 lbs (tiny for a 7 year old), which is why I have kept her harnessed longer than average (though I am sure many of you agree with this age to wait until). She is 46" tall.

I am torn. I seem to be continuing my love of safety that Britax offers, but am open to other models (though I feel like Graco's, etc... are not as safe). I hate to say this, but price is not a concern, because really it is not for us- carseats are not something we compromise on in this family and I'll give something up in order to make sure we make the best possible investment.

I am not sure how DD feels about side impact protection, since it "looks" like a carseat (I think personally it is the harness that looks more baby-ish- though she is very proud to have reached this milestone. Personally I don't think I am ready to give up the side impact protection (please feel free to give your opinion on this). I definitely prefer a seat that has seatbelt guides.

Hope I gave enough info for all of you experts to provide your insight- thank you!

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Welcome!
I'm a little confused, are you looking for a highback booster because you want the SIP, or are you wondering if you should move to a backless booster right away because you think she wants that?
My first impulse for a kid that age and size would be the Diono Monterey or Britax Parkway SGL. Those are highbacks that become backless boosters later. But if I'm missing something in your question, do correct me!

fiandbrismom

Oh gosh, not looking for a backless- thank you for asking that clarifying question. I think she is ready for a convertible - I would not put her in a backless for a few years- she is too small. But I think I want the harness option available to me (is that silly? Am I paying for something we won't use?) as I expect that we will use a seat belt most of the time. I am pretty set on only wanting a high back that has guides for the belt though.

I am torn between the Britax options and even the Recaro...infant and toddler choices seemed so easy, but this feels like the most difficult carseat decision yet ;).

CMeMeC

Some combination seats (forward facing harness to booster) I would consider would be the britax frontier models (85/90) and graco nautilus. There are others as well, though. A combination seat will allow you to use a 5 point harmess for a while yet and then a booster later. However, at her age and size, I would be fine with using a high back booster that positions the vehicle seat belt. I would not purchase a combination seat if I didn't intend to use it as a harness. If you are happy with your britax seat, you might also like the britax parkway. Thats what my 6.5 year old son uses as his primary seat.

nannykates

Since it sounds like you want a harness option (for longer trips or when she is sick and tired ect) and price doesn't bother you I would look at the britax frontier 90. The harness doesn't have to be removed for booster use.

tacii

I think the Britax Frontier would be a great choice if you're still wanting the harness option. We just picked up new carseats for my ds and dd this weekend. DS got a Britax Frontier XT (6 years old and 31lbs) so he'll be harnessed for a while longer. My dd will be 8 soon and about 42lbs, so she got a Diono Monterey booster. I feel the same, that this was a more difficult decision for a carseat than the infant/toddler ones. If you're considering hbb, the Britax Parkway SGL also looked like a great option but we felt the Monterey had a more sturdy back. Good luck!

nannykates

Oh gosh, not looking for a backless- thank you for asking that clarifying question. I think she is ready for a convertible - I would not put her in a backless for a few years- she is too small. But I think I want the harness option available to me (is that silly? Am I paying for something we won't use?) as I expect that we will use a seat belt most of the time. I am pretty set on only wanting a high back that has guides for the belt though.

I am torn between the Britax options and even the Recaro...infant and toddler choices seemed so easy, but this feels like the most difficult carseat decision yet ;).

And actually, I think all car seat choices are harder now than years ago. We've got a lot more great choices on the market than there used to be :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC