Child escaping harness!

linguistmama

My dd is rear facing in an Evenflo tribute. She's 21 lbs and 2 yo. We have a 96 Dodge Caravan.

Today she pushed the harness clip all the way down and got the harness off of her shoulders and almost climbed out of the seat. Luckily we were in a friend's car and stopped, and then I rode next to dd the rest of the way home. I always tighten the harness tight enough, but the clip is horrible and slides so easily. I explained how dangerous this is to her, but she's 2 so she didn't fully understand.

Is there anything I can do with this seat to prevent this? I don't want to turn her forward facing to be able to check while driving or use unnaproved aftermarket things. Any options? Are there other seats that would help solve this problem? Would the HUGS on the Britax help prevent her pushing the clip down?

ADS

henrietta

Well, when you have time you could try having someone sit w/her to watch her, and then tell her you will be going somewhere fun (park, playground, etc-somewhere she wants to go that isn't a long trip) *if* she leaves her harness alone. If she doesn't, you'll turn around and go home. You want to give her many opportunities in a short period of time to get it right, so you'll need a few hours in one day. I know, it's time consuming, but it might help her to get the point.

You also could put in a mirror back there to see her and give her some new and interesting toys that she only gets in the car to keep her busy.

I would consider putting double sided sticky tape on the harness underneath where the chest clip goes as well. I know that isn't "recommended", but if it works to get her to leave it alone, it won't be on there forever.

hths

my ds noticed this on the Tribute as well, but luckily he's too busy looking around to fool w/it much. (-:

henrietta

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC