Chicco keyfit 30 is 22 in Canada

G

ggstevie

I've recently purchased the Bumbleride Indie Single stroller.

I was set on getting the Chicco keyfit car seat to use with it BUT it appears to be only compatible with the Keyfit 30, not the regular keyfit (22 lb limit).

This would be OK, except it is difficult to find the keyfit 30 in Canada, new or used. I have read that the Keyfit 30 is sold in Canada but under a 22 lb limit - which means if it is the same seat it would still be compatible with my stroller ... I just couldn't use it past 22 lbs.

SO - my question is: if I were to find a Chicco keyfit in "romantic" in Canada for instance, can I assume that that it is the same design as the Chicco keyfit 30 in romantic from the USA? In other words, are there patterns that are only available in the keyfit 30?

Thanks if you can help!

ADS

amyd

Yes, there are patterns only available in the 30 and not the 22 and vice versa. There are often different patterns between the US and Canada as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

featherhead

The Keyfit 30 and 22 have basically the same shell. I don't know why one would be compatible and the other not. And I would also assume that all the Keyfits sold in Canada would be the same shell, whether that's the 22 or 30 shell (which are almost identical) I'm not sure. I think you should be safe buying whichever Keyfit you like.

canadiangie

I believe the 22 in the US has covered belt guides. They are covered by fabric if I recall correctly. This might be why Bumbleride specifies the 30 be used with their strollers. I'm pretty sure you are given a universal adapter bar that attaches to the stroller, and then an adapter strap that you route thru the belt guides of the car seat. Maybe Bumbleride thinks parents aren't smart enough to access the belt guides under the fabric flaps.

Either way, The 22 in Canada has exposed belt guides. And yes, if you buy a Romantic KF (I happen to have a Romantic KF) it will work on an Indie. Toni (screen name Canmom) has a double Indie and used my KF on her stroller until she bumped up to a different seat. Worked great. :)

The 30 is not approved for use in Canada. Buying a 30 and using it in Canada would not be legal.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I can confirm that the Keyfit found in stores in Canada is the same basic shell as the seat sold in the US as the keyfit 30. I can also tell you that the seat absolutely cannot be used above 22lbs, and there are some differences between the Canadian seat and the US seat.

But in terms of compatibility, the keyfit in Canada is the shell of the keyfit 30 in the US.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC