Check out Seats Please

longstocking

Finally got my seats installed in our 1998 Chevy Subruban. I need feedabck. The install is tight with seatbelt. There are no anchors or LATCH
Keyfit 30 - is it okay that the belt stock sticks up like this? It doesn't interfere with latching seat into base.
IMG_0012.jpg

Where the bubble is. I didn't lower the boot at all
IMG_0013.jpg

Maestro and Roundabout 50 in 3rd row
IMG_0015.jpg

(I just noticed my son in Maestro, his chest clip needs to be adjusted up)
IMG_0017.jpg

The Maestro tether is too short to anchor to the back cargo anchor. We had to bring the boys with us today so I just anchored it to the closest one for now. Where can I get an extension? It seems like when I tether the Roundabout it pulls it slightly to the right ... is that a problem?
IMG_0016.jpg

Thank you for all your virtual help!
(P.S. Sorry the last pictures are so huge. I resized them all the way down, not sure why they are going crazy)

ADS

Brianna

For the Keyfit- twist the female end of the buckle up to 3 full times. The buckle needs to be all the way in or out of the belt path. As far as the bubble- will this be for a newborn or an older infant?

The child in the Roundabout- it could be the angle of the picture but it looks like the harness might need to go to the top slot. The Maestro needs to be tethered to an approved tether location, so I would unhook it and keep trips to a minimum until you get an extender- call Evenflo directly.

longstocking

The keyfit will be for a newborn. The belt stock is hard plastic, I cut into it a bit to check it out and it's just wire under that, not webbing, make sense? I'll give it a try though.
And it's the angle of the picture with the Maestro. The straps are 1 down from the top and coming out close to the hight of his ears. I can go out and take another picture if it would help.
I forgot one other question about the Roundabout: Does the headrest need to be there? It was in the way of the seat sitting flush against the seat and the back so I took it off.

Brianna

For a newborn angle, I would try to get the bubble touching the left line when you're looking at it how you took the picture. I'm not familiar with Suburban seat belts, so I'm not sure if you could/should try to twist that. Is there another seating position you could switch it to? Does the manual specify anything about head rests with car seats?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The bubble needs be at the OTHER end for a noob. Short tethers are a known Evenflo issue, call Evenflo and they'll send an extender free.

You cannot twist a wire belt stalk. When you lock and unlock the seat from the base several times, does it loosen? If not it's fine, just check for tightness every time. Changing the angle may help anyway.

longstocking

Yes, I am really going to ask this question. You can all slap me around in your heads.
I called Evenflo and a tether extender is $12. That seems ridiculous. You would think they would make things affordable so parents would be more willing to get necessary items for optimal safety. Beside the fact it will take at least 8-10 weeks for delivery.
How important is it to tether the Maestro? I'm sure I know the answer, but I had to ask the obvious.
I'm just frustrated. I'll have to wait until the end of the month to order so by that point and waiting for shipping it will be several months before we even get it. Good thing we don't have any trips planned that are more than a few miles.
I almost want to boycot Evenflo I'm so annoyed!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
They should not charge you for that. Call back and try another rep. Escalate if you need to. This is a safety issue and a known issue with their seats.

You can try putting the Maestro in the center lap belt position and tethering to the third row lap belt in the mean time while you wait.

Cryssy Jane

My latch manual only goes back to 2001 but are we sure those are TAs? They look like cargo anchors to me :-/ Unless op retrofitted TAs and put two sets in the back?

My parents use to have an 96 suburban and it did not have any tether anchors.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Cryssy Jane

glockchick said:
I have a '99 Suburban. The cargo anchors closest to the back are approved as tether anchor locations according to the manual.

Brianna said:
This post says the rear cargo hooks are the tether locations http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=981799&postcount=47

Sent from my DROID4 using Car-Seat.Org

Thank you for the info. I didn't see that and I wasn't sure so I felt it needed to be asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

longstocking

I gave in and bought the tether extender. I then wrote a sort of nice email to Evenflo about what I thought: (it wasn't originally in all caps not sure why it is now)
I RECENTLY ACQUIRED A BIGGER VEHICLE. THE TETHER STRAP IS TOO SHORT TO ANCHOR TO THE CARGO AREA. I ASKED AROUND AND WAS TOLD BY MORE THAN A FEW PEOPLE THAT THIS IS A KNOWN PROBLEM WITH YOUR SEATS AND YOU WOULD SEND AND EXTENSION FOR FREE. I CALLED TO ORDER AND ENDED UP PAYING $12. I AM VERY UNHAPPY I HAD TO PAY WHEN THIS IS A SAFETY ISSUE. OVERALL I AM VERY UNHAPPY WITH MY EVENFLO EXPERIENCE.
I got an email back within 24 hours:
I am sorry to hear of your disappointment with the experience in requesting a tether extender. I have found the order placed June 4, 2012 and issued a credit back to your credit card of $12.70. Please allow 2-3 days for the credit to show and allow one to two weeks for delivery of the tether extender.
LOL - well, that would have saved us all some time if they would have just dealt with me when I was complaining to them on the phone. Siiigh, oh no, they had to go about it the long way. What a company will do for a satisfied customer.
Thank you to all of you for helping me get an extender.
Now I need to go fix the Keyfit install and I think things are good until I can tether the Maestro. Random but I told my DH I needed to go adjust the KF and he looked at me like I was from another planet. Why? It's not even a 1/4" for the bubble to move. It's within the recommended guides.
I told him it wasn't within the recommended space according to the all-knowing techs, and I trust them more than a recommended guide. They have more experience with carseats than any manual or company that makes the carseats. LOL
Thanks again everyone!

Brianna

I'm glad they refunded you.

The KF bubble needs to be on the opposite side so that it's at the proper recline for a noob with no head control. Where you have it now would be for an older child with head control who doesn't want to be so reclined anymore.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
If you recline the base and flip the male end of the buckle a half turn, it may work.

Also, are you positive on the wire stalk?

longstocking

I was able to twist the buckle. All the other seats had metal stocks but that one. It was pretty short and tight already so I only got it to flip once, maybe twice, now I can't remember. But the buckle isn't sticking up anymore and the bubble is on the opposite side. I had to put the boot down a bit but I think it's better now. I need to take another picture.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC