Changes to Peg 30/30 Infant seat

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I haven't seen mention of this here yet so thought I would post. I just did a seat check for a family with a new Peg 30/30 infant seat and there have been a few changes made to it.

They've changed the chest clip to a narrower and smaller chest clip, more like the keyfit, they've made the crotch pad not removable by stitching it in to the cover the same way the crotch buckle pad is on their infant/child seat, and they are now including separate newborn filler padding.

The newborn filler padding is pretty much exactly like the padding in the infant/child seat. It's substantially thick at the bum raising the child up probably about an inch I'm going to guess. Because of the way it raises the child up, I'm hoping that it means we're not going to see the same sliding forward that has always been a problem with newborns in the Peg infant seat.

The downside to the newborn padding, is that it's loose in the seat, the straps don't route up perfectly through it, and it's a bit awkward to place in there. I'm guessing that parents will take it out asap because of the way it sits in there. (I didn't see any specific rules regarding the use of it, it just said to make sure the straps were properly adjusted for height when using it.)

The manual shows the straps having 2 different sets of loops for adjusting the length of the harness, but there is actually only one set of loops on the end. I don't know if this is a manual error or not.

One other complaint that I've never noticed with the other infant seat is that the bottom padding of the headrest seems to affect the hip straps significantly. In the pictures I took the headrest is moved up one position, and you can see how it's still pressing down on the top edge of the hip straps.

No real changes in the manual so far as installation and use of the seat goes that I noticed on my quick read through - though I didn't read the seatbelt section.

I took some pictures to show the filler cushion, the change in buckle pad, and the new chest clip. I'll post them in the next post so I can attach them from my phone.

ADS

snowbird25ca

One showing hip straps, one with filler cushion, and one without the filler cushion.

Attachments

• image-2817207802.jpg
    image-2817207802.jpg
    379 KB · Views: 35
  • image-1197357601.jpg
    image-1197357601.jpg
    459.4 KB · Views: 33
  • image-28285319.jpg
    image-28285319.jpg
    416.8 KB · Views: 33

canadiangie

Are you saying that with the headrest moved all the way down the hips straps are going to be completely squished?

This filler pad, is it like a pseudo crotch roll or is it just padding under the bum?

With just one set of loops did the harness still go tight enough on a newborn, or is baby still not here yet so you couldn't check?

snowbird25ca

Are you saying that with the headrest moved all the way down the hips straps are going to be completely squished?

This filler pad, is it like a pseudo crotch roll or is it just padding under the bum?

With just one set of loops did the harness still go tight enough on a newborn, or is baby still not here yet so you couldn't check?

The hips straps are completely squished with the headrest all the way down.

It's padding under the bum, fills the crease of the seat maybe a little bit. Is thick enough that it shortens the crotch buckle a little.

I don't know if the harness will go tight enough on a newborn. The baby was 6 weeks old and 10lbs already, and wasn't here for me to see him in the seat. Even if he had been, he's big enough that it wouldn't have reflected how a newborn will fit the seat. I think it definitely won't be as prone to sliding forward - but I can't say for sure until I see a newborn in one. The crotch strap itself is anchored a little closer to the crotch than where the crotch pad is stitched to the cover.

One other thing I think might be problematic - though it might be less of a problem than I think... They've changed the harness strap covers, and they're basically the exact same width as the straps. The one cover on this seat had a curled edge, and I fiddled with it to get it positioned wide enough to not try and curl the edge of the strap a little.

I buckled my doll in to the seat, and the new chest clip pulls the straps a lot closer to the neck. Will be interesting to see how it actually works on older babies...

canadiangie

And a person would still need the lowest position for a newborn, right?

I saw the folded over harness strap and wondered if the harness covers are now fitting like a glove. Hmmmm.

snowbird25ca

And a person would still need the lowest position for a newborn, right?

I saw the folded over harness strap and wondered if the harness covers are now fitting like a glove. Hmmmm.

Yep, they are fitting really close now - they're removeable velcro now - which is kinda nice. But I worry they're going to make the straps twist on the shoulders - and on my doll, the chest clip pulled the straps close enough together that it seemed to make the straps bunch closer at the slots of the seat, so I dunno.

Not sure about the lowest position for a newborn - it's raising baby up by about an inch or so I'm going to guess. It'll probably depend on the baby as to whether the next headrest position is needed or not.

Pixelated

I think I have only ever done a check on one of these seats (the 30/30 version), so thanks for the heads up.

snowbird25ca

Well thanks for the heads-up.

I wonder how long it will be before I see one..

I suspect first shipment was same shipment that the infant/child seat arrived on. So probably soon depending on what brand of infant seat you see most often and where they've usually bought it from.

I think I have only ever done a check on one of these seats (the 30/30 version), so thanks for the heads up.

You're welcome. I was caught a bit off guard because I hadn't realized anything was changing with the seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC