Center seat for the car seat?

yq970509

Currently I am thinking of buying an 8-passenger van. I like 2011 Sienna, however the center seat in the 2nd row can't accomodate a car seat. I assume that the center seat is the best one for installing a car seat. Since 2011 Sienna can't meet my need, I am thinking to get a used 2010 8-passenger van, although I dream a new car (I have never owned a new vehicle before) and have enough cash to get one.

Can anypone tell me what is the best seat to install the car seat? Should I buy a used 8-passenger Sienna just because 2011 Sienna's center seat can't accomodate a car seat?

By the way, I only have one kid who needs to sit in a car seat; currently I am only interested in Toyota Sienna. Thanks.

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
The center seat is the safest, because you don't know which way your crash is coming from.

I am a little lost. Why can't you install in the center? I have seen people on here with seats installed there. Actually done a couple myself.

twinkletoes

I don't think it has latch in that center seat at the back.. from what I've been reading about minivans.. but you could install a high back booster there that doesn't require latch (for the future)...

yq970509

The center seat is the safest, because you don't know which way your crash is coming from.

I am a little lost. Why can't you install in the center? I have seen people on here with seats installed there. Actually done a couple myself.

A friend of mine who sells Sienna checked Toyota for the center position; he was told by the technical department that the center position in the 2nd row is not supposed to put a car seat in.

I read a post on this webste which states the same.

NannyMom

Judi, the 2011 Sienna is different from the 2004-2010. Installing a seat center 2nd row in 04-10 is no problem. But I don't know about 2011. Does it even have a tether anchor?

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Can you still get a new 2010 at a discount from a dealer trying to get them off the lot? I know the 2011s have been out for a while now, but maybe there are still some old stock around.

luckyclov

One of my friends just got an '11 Sienna. I think it's ridiculous that the center isn't car seat compatible - that defeats the whole purpose of an 8-passenger minivan to me. People with a litter of kids want a minivan which can maximize car seat safety/installs. Duh.

Anyways, just as a sidenote - she really dislikes it and wishes she had gotten the '10.

Ok, so next safest would be which ever one is not by a door. So, passenger side middle row?
I'm super confused by this - is the pass. side 2nd row *not* near a door?:confused:

yq970509

Thanks for all the replies. I have contacted many dealers (some of them are 500-1000 miles away),and no luck to get a 2010 new Sienna. I guess I need to buy a used 2010 8-passenger one.

By the way, I understand that for 2011 sienna, you can't move one of the outboard seats in the 2nd row to the middle--there is a cupholder/console in the center; the two outboard seats can only move back and forth.

luckyclov

In most vans, you can remove that center useless seat, and slide the passenger side captain's chair to the middle :)

Oh, duh - yeah, that makes a lot more sense than what my brain was processing. My GC just has the two outboard captain's chairs and they are what they are...boo.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
By the way, I understand that for 2011 sienna, you can't move one of the outboard seats in the 2nd row to the middle--there is a cupholder/console in the center; the two outboard seats can only move back and forth.

:thumbsup: Right. In the 2011 Sienna, you can't move the passenger captain's chair to the middle position. That skinny center 8th seat is meant more for a kid who's just out of a booster or near getting out of a booster and is being carpooled from here to there.

yq970509

In most vans, you can remove that center useless seat, and slide the passenger side captain's chair to the middle :)

Does anyone know that for a 7-seat 2010 Sienna, if one of the two seats is pushed to the center, would that seat looks like in the center position? How much open space will be created between the seat and the side of the van?

I am not a skille driver and need to put my little one in the safest position--the center seat. But an 8-passenger Sienna 2010 with a center seat is hard to find at this time. So I thought maybe a 7-seat one would also work if one of the two seats in the 2nd row can be pushed to the middle to "create" the center seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC