Question carseats in germany

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
An ECE seat can be used on the ground in the US during a vacation. She will need a US seat for use on the airplane and when she PCS's back to the US. Since most people are stationed overseas for 2-4 years at a time, a US seat makes sense; she'll be able to use it for a couple of years in Germany and then until expiration in the US.

ADS

lil96

She could just do without the seat on the plane, some people prefer that. Also I think I read on a post here about Candians flying through USA, it only has to say approved for in flight use, it doesn't have to be a USA seat, maybe the same would apply for someone not living in USA. I have also heard flights leaving EU don't care what type seat is used (if a seat is used), it is only leaving USA they check and that has been my experience too.

I just really have come to believe that cars here (in EU) are different than cars in USA. The seats here have been tested for use on cars here. USA seats have not been tested on cars here. Unless she is going to bring her USA car (which is not totally impossible), I think it is a better idea just to get a seat here so that the seat and the car have a higher likelihood of being compatible. KWIM?

Which thinking about all of this has my head spinning and thinking... since I have a German DL (which never expire), if I were to move back to USA, use my ECE approved car seat, then get pulled over and show my German DL and say I am just visitng, could I get in trouble? (yes I know lying is bad and that I could definitel get in trouble for) but what is to stop people from doing something like that?

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
If she flies back on a charter flight and her child is less than 2 years old, she *must* use a child restraint on the flight, and German seats aren't approved for such. She may prefer not to use one, but if we're talking safest & best practice, she should. As someone who had a baby while stationed in Germany, I recommend a US seat. The choice is hers.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC