Carseat advice for my 7-year-old

My DS is currently using a booster. I am feeling rather uncomfortable with him sitting in it, and would like to have him harnessed again. I am feeling really uneasy due to watching that 'youtube' video about Kyle.

He is rather small for his age, weighing about 43-45 pounds. (He will be 8 in Feb) I am contemplating purchasing the Regent, but not sure if he will outgrow the seat soon due to height. (I am unsure of his current height.)

Do I have any other options, or should I just keep him in the booster?

TIA!

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
It's a tragedy what happened to Kyle, no doubt of that, but it is extremely rare! It's much more common that a child will not use a booster correctly (or at least distract the driver into correcting the child's misuse) & for this reason I believe in keeping kids harnessed for as long as they fit the limits of the seat.
  • What vehicle year, make, model do you have?
  • Which booster does he use now?
  • Can you measure his torso height?
    • (have him sit on the floor flat against a wall/door & measure from floor to top of shoulders)
Kids carry their height different -- torso vs. legs: the tallest 8 year old in 3rd grade here has long legs fits the Husky/Regent, the shortest 8 year old in 3rd grade with long torso is close to outgrowing it....
  • BritaxRegent is the most likely candidate because it's comfortable, sturdy with relatively reasonable price.
  • SafeGuard Childseat is also comfy & sturdy, but is almost twice the cost with a metal frame + EPS foam & an easily adjustable harness/headrest.
Those are the only 2 harness seats that I think an average 8 year old would have a chance of fitting. Eventually, though, he will outgrow a harness :eek:

We have a 2006 Chevy Tahoe. He is now sitting in the 3rd row.

Right now he is using a Combi Dakota.

I'm not sure of his torso height. (He is sleeping, will measure tomorrow.) He is definetly a small kid! I'm assuming he has a short torso. All his shirts are like dresses, if that helps! But then again, his legs are short too! :confused:

I just have that fear in the back of my mind -- If something did happen, and there was an option out there to keep him safer, it would kill me knowing I didn't go that route, kwim?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yes, I'm all for doing whatever it takes to keep kids as safe as possible with the means at your disposal :)

He's in the 3rd row because he likes it back there or because the 2nd row is full? Is he in the center or outboard? My brother's Tahoe is older, but maybe Jen can offer you some insights on the Tahoe :cool:

Last edited:
Ok, I measured him this morning.

His torso height is 16 inches. (Had him sit against the wall and measured from the floor to his shoulders.)

His actual height is 46-47" tall.

Hope this helps!

ETA - He is in the 3rd row because the 2nd row is full. (I take care of a 10-month-old full time.)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'd put him in a Highback booster, personally, to help protect his head 70% better than a noback booster, but I don't think I'd go with a harnessed seat (then again, I DO have Huskies for my 9 and 7 yo's, and they like them, and have loads of room till they are too tall for them)

:)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
He would fit the Regent or Safeguard with room to grow, but it's a tricky decision because they're not cheap & you wouldn't get full use of them before they expire -- unless you have someone to hand it down to....

If he's mature enough to use the booster correctly then I would feel file letting him use one, especially if it can be used in the center of the 3rd row (as per vehicle manual) :)

Thanks for all the help!

I am little confused now in which way I should go. I know for sure I need to get rid of the backless booster for sure.

I wouldn't mind spending the $$$ on the Regent. I have 2 other kids that will be able to use it within the 6-year expiration date.

If I decide to stay with the booster route, which high back booster is recommended?

I was looking @ the Recaro Young Style. We have a Young Sport for my middle child and she loves it.

Thanks again!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Oh, you have the RYSport ... then if *I* were you I'd probably go for the Regent -- when younger kiddo outgrows the RYSport harness they can switch seats :D (big kid using the RYSport as a booster)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC