Car sickness -- Last ditch effort before FF

Brooke789

She doesn't have congestion issues. She's never had an ear infection (me either). She's only been sick once (with a virus at 20 months). So, luckily that shouldn't be contributing!

MIL says DH got sick in the car every time he was in the car until he was 10. He remembers throwing up on the way to school every morning. :( Unfortunately that part most definitely IS hereditary.

ADS

cookie123

I'd try some of the ginger things that were recommended by a previous poster. Myth busters says it's the only thing that works!:)

cso1997

Have you ever asked the doctor? Maybe her inner ear anatomy is different? Possibly inherited from your DH?

Brooke789

Yes, the pediatrician thinks it is RFing. Her recommendation at 15M was to FF her or to give her Benadryl every.single.ride.

cryswilkins

What about reflux? It's fairly common for kids with reflux to be pukers. Since going to the Chiro helped, and chiropractic care can help with reflux by making sure the body is aligned properly, it's a possibility. Maybe try a Hazelwood necklace? Hazelwood has worked wonders for both my refluxers. DD is off her prevacid for the first time in 3 years and DS was able to lower his dose significantly.

Sent from my iPhone, please excuse my typos.

amelia222

Have you tried NOT having the a/c on? If I'm in a car with a/c I'm guaranteed to be nauseous, but I do need the windows open.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Cryssy Jane

Monkey gets seriously car sick too. Every rf ride he would puke at least twice. :( After talking about the pros and cons of each situation we decided that the benefit of rf did not outweigh the internal damage he was doing by puking so often. We flipped him FF and he hasn't had a problem. He does only get water in the car, no food and for sure no milk.

aetj115

Brooke789 said:
Yes, we're planning on keeping DS RFing after DD turns, but honestly if it causes drama every car ride I will turn him FF, also. My main though with my statement was eating in the car. We don't eat in the car. None of us do and I don't want either of them to. Some people recommend snacking in the car for carsickness. That is something we haven't tried. I don't think it is safe, so DD has not had the opportunity to snack on something while riding down the road. I wouldn't let her (even to try) because I don't want DS eating in the car either. They are too young to understand that she is doing it for her health.

Also, with two years under my belt with twins tells me you MUST do the same with each. If one does it the other does too. It just doesn't work like that to treat them differently. (At least not at this age).

I don't have any advice, but did want to say....
I have twin step daughters, even at 6 years it's impossible to do one thing for one and not the other. They are finally starting to make their own choices though :) I totally understand that point though! Good luck!

tjham

Ginger ale and ginger snaps helped my granddaughter. I don't remember having trouble with the sippy cup. I think I poured it and let it go flat before putting the lid on. ;)

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
A mild food intolerence can certainly be triggered into vomiting by a car ride. Kinda like when you are having morning sickness and you stomach is just kind of upset, THEN you get in the car and BAM.

Crys22B

My 2 yr. old used to get very car sick too! Switching him FF'ing made it worse he started throwing up more, :( So I went and saw an allergist on a recommendation from a friend since she said it helped her child. I thought it would be useless because we aren't allergy sufferers. Well not the typical seasonal allergies but when we went I found out my son had some mild food allergies! Which i was surprised about because i didn't expect that. But once I eliminated those foods he never threw up while in the car again! she also put him on antihistamines for when we are going on long car rides! Worked like a charm! We haven't dealt with vomiting in the car since then & he still is RF'ing!

SavsMom

My daughter had the same issue. We tried everything to keep her rear facing longer from moving her seat, changing up some stuff in her diet, offering other distractions, etc and nothing helped. It got to the point that she would throw up in the car and would then end up throwing up again because she was upset that she threw up - we switched her seat to forward face at 2 1/2 and her vomiting stopped. I continued to rear face her as often as I could for as long as she could tolerate it as I knew it was safer, I even had 2 seats installed in my car at one point, one forward facing, one rear facing. I did this for quite some time and then after she turned 3 I just made the move to FF all the time.

Anyone can tell you to try this or try that and that your child cannot possibly get car sick while sitting rear facing, but truth be told, you know your child and you do what you feel is right. For me it wasn't an easy decision because I know that rear facing is safer, but I finally decided that I got her to 2 1/2 rear facing which is more than double what most parents do, and that with all of the screaming, mess and misery she was going through that it wasn't worth it anymore.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC