Car Seat warmth for itty bitties :)

V

VanIsleMommy

My little one is due in Feb, and it's going to be a cold winter. She's too young for the car seat poncho (6m and up) so I'm looking for an alternative. Any suggestions? do those car seat canopy things work or are they a pain in the butt? with my son I used a bag that went over the whole car seat (not behind his back though) but he hated it because he couldn't see out the window hole.

ADS

Pixels

Shower cap covers work amazingly well. I took then-2mo DS to a car seat check event in April. It was freezing cold, but he was toasty warm in that for hours.

I'm working on making a larger one for this year. Now that his feet are at the edge of the seat, the old cover is too tight and it squishes his feet.

Emi's Mommy

I had a Jolly Jumper shower cap cover, from BRU but I've also seen similar at Wal-Mart, for my Keyfit and it worked great. It has a fleece interior and a waterproof exterior which really helped keep the wind off her. My concern with the style you linked is that the wind and rain/snow might go right through it.

I then put a folded fleece blanket over her legs and on particularly cold days she was in a fleece snowsuit.

Here is a link:
http://www.ohbabymagazine.com/shopping-cart/Jolly_Jumper_Deluxe_Sneek-A-Peek_-_Car_seat_cover

rachelandtyke

That one's adorable!

I used this one: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/NoJo-Baby-Cover-2dUp-2d-Navy-Patch/dp/B0000A9Y9W/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t"]Amazon.com: NoJo Baby Cover-Up- Navy Patch: Baby[/ame]

It has worked great for winters in Northern Virginia, Vancouver, and Calgary. I usually put a hat on baby and if it was really cold or windy, put the canopy down to block the cold or wind on the way to the car. If the car didn't take long to warm up, I'd unzip it before we drove off so baby didn't get too hot (and usually take the hat off, too).

Pixels

Like this: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/EVC-Microfiber-Fleece-Cozy-Cover/dp/B0041LXCCW"]Amazon.com: EVC Microfiber & Fleece Cozy Cover - Royal Blue: Baby[/ame]
Warning, creepy photoshopping.

V

VanIsleMommy

*sigh* why couldn't the adorable car one be rain and windproof (hehehe)

I like those two, practical as well since they unzip. I don't think the one I had for my son unzipped.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I used one last year in Ottawa where it was *significantly* colder than it will be here on Vancouver Island this year (yay!) -- and it worked really well. It had a zip and a peep-hole and did have a wind/water resistant cover on top with fleece on the underneath. Other than that a toque, a fleece sleeper and if necessary an extra blanket tucked underneath. On windy days I'd just put the handle up and drape a heavy-weight fleece blanket over top for walking from car to house. I found the blanket needed to be heavy enough to not blow off in a wind, a smaller baby blanket just didn't cut it.

Jamie*

we used the jolly jumper one too, except we got ours from WM. It worked well for us. Will be buying another one for our 5mon old soon.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC