Car seat replacement rules after accident in different provinces?

K's Mama

I am not happy with SGI's rules for replacing car seats after an accident. I find it highly unacceptable that they only replace in severe crashes, despite manufacturers and Transport Canada saying otherwise. I am trying to gather as much information as I can to try and have SGI's policies changed. If anyone has information or links they can pass on as to what other provinces do, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

ADS

tam_shops

BC

Not sure the ICBC *official* policy would help you any. Officially, they pay you back what *you* paid for the seat, better than prorating in most cases, but not replacement cost either. However, more than one of us after way too many phone calls have managed to get full replacement cost. It was the support and knowing others here had got the full replacement cost that kept me going.

They also have this, which is *no* help at all.

Personally, I would take it up the chain of command, regardless of what their policy is, it can't hurt and might work...

tam

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
:yeahthatmad: BC is no help at all. I've heard some very good things about ICBC replacement, but part of my check with parents is the spiel about replacement after a crash and that you have to be a very strong advocate for yourself as ICBC not only doesn't reimburse very much if you don't have an original receipt, but they don't ask/volunteer that a seat should be replaced. It's disgusting.

I realize in provinces with private insurance that the coverage may very well depend on the particular policy, and I don't know if any province has a law that requires a private insurer to replace a seat. How many kids are in crashed seats because a parent just didn't know? Not that that's an excuse, but a phone call to an insurance adjuster would be an excellent point of contact to share that info, whether it's covered or not.

K's Mama

I've heard from someone else that Manitoba was very quick and easy to deal with replacing seats after a minor collision.

Interestingly, after contacting First Years/Learning Curve to find out their official policy they have told my that THEY replace any seat that has been in an accident - not something I had considered before.

eta: Britax does not replace seats after an accident.

Last edited:

Emi's Mommy

Yes. MPI will replace with no questions asked for any collision. You just need to bring the old seat and the reciept for the new seat and you get a cheque in the mail within a week or two.

You'd think with the similarities between SGI and MPI there wouldn't be such an issue.

jacqui276

I am in Alberta and had no issues at all getting my seats replaced after an accident. We have private insurance here though and it was Intact Insurance that I dealt with (who is my insurance company, who got TD Insurance to cover it in the end). They paid full price for my new seats even though I told them that I spent more than what my old seats were worth and gave them prices of what an exact replacement would have been (spent an extra $100).

I had to email them photos of my destroyed seats, send in copies of receipts for my new ones (and sent in photos of price tags for exact replacements), and a cheque arrived in the mail within a week or two.

It usually works to ask them to sign a document stating that they take any and all responsibility for your child and their potential injuries in another accident due to the use of a preciously crashed seat.

mam521

I just had to deal with this in AB and bad to fight with the insurance company because my seats were unoccupied but the car had $5000 damage to it.

First I got they don't need to be replaced to which I replied it clearly states in the manual that after ANY collision, my seats need to be replaced.

Then I got the well, its a depreciated value to which I replied I cannot purchase used seats therefore it is unacceptable to give me a depreciated value, especially considering I was not at fault for this collision (hit and run).

Then I got well your booster doesn't need to be replaced to which I reiterated the manual stated it did (highlighted the pages of the manual and sent the photo). I said I am a CPSAC tech and not only do I know it needs to be replaced but also I know that 2012 regulations not only limit the number of used seats out there but reafirm that best practice is never to use a seat thats history is unknown or questionable. I refuse to put my children in used seats and I want full replacement purchase. It worked...I got full replacement value when I showed receipts for the original seats. It worked out well because both are now 2012 compliant.

I think this is an illustration of how provincial regulatory authorities need to get with the times and new regulations. I know they don't have to pay but isn't that why we have insurance? Ya, I dealt with Meloche but I can pack up and change providers I'm AB. I'm originally from SK and have dealt with SGI before. I personally like insurance the way its set up there unlike shopping around to 100 places. But, SGI is going to turn people off from doing what's right. Our ultimate goal is proper use and insurance certainly isn't facilitating that. Just my opinon.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC