Question Car seat recommendation needed.

gbru316

My wife and I are expecting our first in march. Exciting times, but SO much to learn!

We got a GREAT deal on 2 chicco keyfit 30's, with bases. Now, we're thinking we should trade one in for a convertible, but we're still discussing it.

At this point, we're looking at the Britax Advocate 70 G3 and the Chicco Nextfit. I haven't been able to find any solid comparisons of the two, hence this post.

I know convertibles are dependent upon the size of the child. We were both in the low 6 lb range, so we're pretty sure our child will be on the small size as well.

Any guidance or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ADS

babyherder

Where did you get your key fits? Are you wanting to use a convertible from birth in one car? Car seats expire so I would wait until close till you want to use a seat to buy it. Maybe still return one key fit but wait to buy a convertible until you're ready to use it. If you want to use a convertible from birth there are several that will work.

jgomez411

I don't know what your rearfacing goals are, but of the Advocate and the Nextfit, the Nextfit will last longer rearfacing.
I'm bumping this up and hoping that someone can chime in with how either of those seats fit newborns.

gbru316

Where did you get your key fits? Are you wanting to use a convertible from birth in one car? Car seats expire so I would wait until close till you want to use a seat to buy it. Maybe still return one key fit but wait to buy a convertible until you're ready to use it. If you want to use a convertible from birth there are several that will work.

We got the keyfits from Buy Buy Baby last week. They were on clearance because they stopped carrying the style. We ended up with 2 keyfits and the corresponding stroller for around $150.

To be more clear, we have 2 vehicles. We've heard from others that having 2 car seats is MUCH easier than swapping a car seat between the two. Because we desire 2 car seats, we were thinking it would make more economic sense to have an infant seat in one, and a convertible in the other instead of 2 infant seats, since we'll need convertibles down the road anyway.

I don't know what your rearfacing goals are, but of the Advocate and the Nextfit, the Nextfit will last longer rearfacing.
I'm bumping this up and hoping that someone can chime in with how either of those seats fit newborns.

Thank you. That's probably my biggest concern at the moment. I don't want to be stuck with a seat that won't work.

DMS721

For the Keyfit, you just need one seat, but two bases. You can put a base in each car, and the baby would be in the seat, so you just connect the seat to the base in each car. When it comes to convertibles, since those do not move in and out of the car very easily, it is definitely easier to have two of those, one for each car.

Cnidaria

It would probably make sense for you to return one of the Keyfits, buy one more base (they're available separately), and put off thinking about convertible seats until the baby's close to outgrowing the Keyfit.

Although, the bases are about $85, which you can bring down to about $68 with a 20% off Babies R U coupon. If you got two whole Keyfits AND the stroller for $150 I suppose you'd be better off just using the base from the second carseat! :-D

babyherder

Its certainly much easier to have an infant seat base or carseat for each car. If it works better for you or is cheaper you can have an infant seat for each car. Are you interested in a list of convertible carseats that generally fit infants well from birth?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC