Car seat Quandries

U

Unregistered

Hello folks,
I have 2 carseat questions. The first is that my 2.75 yo dd2 has started getting car sick freqently while riding rf in her complete air 65. She is not yet 30 lbs (about 28lbs). I hate to turn her ff since she can stay rf for another year, given the seats 40 rf limit (at least thats what I remember). I was wondering if anyone can give me tips on making her seat more upright (she's still reclined to 45 degrees) - I thought I'd try that first. If that doesnt work, any other suggestions? If I do turn her around would you leave her in the complete air 65 or into our second Frontier (an 80)?
My second question is about dd1 (8.5 yo, 59 lb, 4' 1") who is riding in a Frontier 85 with a 5 point harness. She is really bugging me to let her go to booster mode in the Frontier. Either way, she will use it correctly, I will see to that. I keep telling her that a 5 point harness is safer than booster mode ( I mean race car drivers and astronauts use 5 point harnesses, right), but is there any actual data on this? What are your opinions.
Thanks in advance.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Going from the bottom up, no, there is zero evidence that a harness is safer. Astronauts need them so they don't go floating away in space. Race car drivers wear them, but they also wear HANS devices so they don't snap their necks (that's what Dale Earnhardt died of. His body restrained but his head not). At eight years old I'd be perfectly comfortable in either a high back or backless booster.

As for the Complete Air, if you have a towel under the foot area you can remove that, then add weight there. Dorel says the seat must be reclined to 45 degrees, but they also acknowledge that the seat passes testing as upright as 30 degrees. Why they don't approve it is unknown, since it does pass testing, and they do have other seats that have a dual level line so older kids can be more upright.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC