Question Car seat for grandma's car (DD is 2)

aimee123

I hate to post about something that I'm sure has been posted a million times, but I just want to get the best response for my situation. DD is 26 months old, around 28 pounds, and about 33 inches tall (I think....). In my car and grandpa's truck, she is RF in a Marathon. Her dad has her RF in a Boulevard. I plan on buying a less expensive seat for grandma's car, because she won't be in there nearly as much as the other cars.

I'm considering moving DD to FF, because it seems that I'm the only one that wants to keep her RF now. Her dad was on board with it until her 2nd birthday, but he wants to turn her around now. She also seems to be getting more and more unhappy with RF. I find myself allowing toys every once in a while to keep her happy, and I know that's not safe. Plus, there are times that I get distracted because she's whining or crying and that concerns me, too. I'm just not sure what to do....

Grandma drives a Suzuki Reno (I think that's what it is), so there's not a lot of room in there. I want to get something that's fairly easy to install, because my mom probably won't be as concerned about the install as I am (let's face it, she grew up in different times....). I'm also looking to not spend too much money, especially since I've spent so much money already on the other seats.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

ADS

mish

I would consider an Evenflo Triumph Advance. It adjust really easily, is pretty easy to install, and harnesses to 50 pounds. It is a great seat for the money. It is around 140-180 or so depending on trim level.

About the toys for RF, it is safe as long as it is soft. You could keep a few toys in the car that are special for her. She can only play with them in the car. As long as it is something you don't mind getting hit in the head with, like a stuffed animal, it is fine.

Good for you for keeping her rear facing for so long! I would try to keep her that way for a little while longer if at all possible. The special toys might help. If she is unhappy rear facing, it is just as likely that she will be unhappy forward facing. She is at an age where she is going to start fighting a lot of things. She is learning how to be independent and make up her own mind. I'm sure others on here will have a lot of ideas to keep her rear facing a little longer. As for your husband wanting to turn her, has he seen the videos on youtube? I can't link them as I am at work, but someone else likely will. If not, go to youtube and search car seat crash tests.

TerisBoys

Safety 1st Uptown would be another option - EPS lining and a nice tall seatback for both RF and FF. 35# RF weight limit, 40# FF. Big Lots has them in their ad right now for $65. It doesn't sit up on a base, and therefore is a bit more compact than the big Britaxes.

aimee123

Thanks for the responses. I'm planning on keeping her rear facing and maybe we can discuss it again in 6 months or so. I ended up getting the Uptown yesterday (at Big Lots). Grandma watched DD yesterday because I had an appointment. I spent almost an hour attempting to install the car seat and I wasn't able to get a good install. Threading the LATCH belts through the car seat took me a little bit to figure out and then I couldn't get it tight enough once I got the car seat in the car.

The Britax car seats are so easy to install and I'm really unfamiliar with how to get the Uptown installed. I know that it's safest to have the car seat in the center position in the car, but I'm not very comfortable installing the seat using the belt. When DD was an infant, I wasn't ever able to get the seat installed using the belt. I feel more comfortable using LATCH simply because I know I can get it in tight enough. Except for the Uptown, apparently.

So, is there a trick to installing the Uptown? What am I doing wrong to cause it to be so loose? Also, how can I make myself more comfortable using the belt to install the seat? For some reason, I feel like it's going to slowly come loose and I won't realize it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC