Car Seat for Airplane

cor825

Me, my 2 year old (29 pounds) and my 7 month old will all be flying nonstop from Vancouver Canada to Sydney Australia (15.5 hours).

My 7 month old will be a lap child...no problem there.
My 2 year old currently has a First Years True Fit...and it's too wide to fit in the seat (according to the measurements on the aircanada website. We'll be on a Boeing 777.)

So should I bring the car seat? Or is it worth buying a car seat that would fit? What car seats are recommended for 2 year olds (29 pounds) that fit on airplanes? For what its worth, we need the car seat once we're out there.

Is there issue with not enough leg space when children that old/big are in a car seat on an airplane? I'm worried that if she were in a car seat she would spend the entire flight kicking the seat in front of her...

ADS

NatesMamma

My two year old travels with a Safety 1st Avenue car seat. It RF to 35 lb and FF to 40 lb. It also has a pretty tall shell. My kiddo is 34" and has lots of growing room. :thumbsup: The Avenue is a very light seat, and it fits great on an airplane. It also installs easily in every car that I've tried it in (and there have been several). I need to use a rolled towel for the RF install, but that's no biggie. My son always rides RF, but I've installed the seat FF for a friend's child, and that was also a simple install.

I'm only familiar with US airlines, and Canadian & Australian airlines might have different guidelines, but I would recommend installing the seat RF for the flight if possible. Kids can generally sleep better in reclined, RF seats than FF ones, plus then you wouldn't have to worry about her kicking the seat in front of her. (My son would totally do that. For the entire 15 hours. :rolleyes:)

Actually, she would be safer RF in that car, too. There's a ton of info here on RF vs FF if you're interested.

And I would honestly purchase a ticket for the baby, too. Kids are (slightly) safer in their own seats on planes, but perhaps more importantly, it would be A LOT more convenient for you. Both kiddos could sleep comfortably in their seats, you *might* get some time to yourself, and I think it would just be easier overall. You also need to be careful with checking car seats. The baggage handlers are notoriously rough with the luggage, and your seat could be damaged. (If you must check the seat, try packaging it in a box with padding or gate check it, though it could get damaged that way, too.) I know, though. Buying seats for kids who can ride as lap babies is so expensive. :(

Anyway, have a good trip! :)

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
First off, I would encourage/recommend you get the 7m his own seat. Lap babies are a danger to themselves and those around them.

If you don't get him a seat, how are you going to get his seat safely to Australia? Checking seats is dangerous. I would never recommend that. Gate checking can be iffy also. You never know how they will treat your seat.

Is your 2y rf or ff? I don't know the max weight on the truefit in canada, sorry. I won't take a 2y on a plane without a seat. She would be all over the place. Many on here have used the truefit on planes, hopefully someone will see this post and add more. If you can rf, this she can't kick the seat in front of her. Also it is easier for you to entertain her.

Stefanie - CPStech in Iowa

NatesMamma

Many on here have used the truefit on planes, hopefully someone will see this post and add more.

Honestly, unless money was SUPER tight, I'd avoid traveling with the True Fit, especially if I were going to be outnumbered 2:1 by the kiddos!

The True Fit is a heavy, bulky seat. It wouldn't be much fun to lug through the airport. It's also a tricky install in some cars since you must use the lockoffs. For something like $45 (US) you can get a Cosco Scenera, which is SUPER light and easy to carry. Spend closer to $80 (sound about right?) you can get the Avenue, which has EPS foam and (I think) higher harness slots.

Also, I think having an extra seat is a real plus. When we're not traveling, it lives in our spare closet, and it's a snap to pull out and install in someone else's car for car pooling (no need to uninstall one of our other seats!), and if someone is riding with us, we can install for that kiddo beforehand, and it makes the process easier and much faster. When DS gets a little older, I might even install it semi-permanently in my car and give DS the "responsibility" of making sure his teddy bear is strapped in safely for the ride. He'd love that. :D

cor825

Thanks for the thoughts - but unfortunately I don't have an extra 900 dollars to spend on a seat for my 7month old...plus, he hates his carseat - so he wouldn't sit in it (happily) for long even if I did have it on the plane. And you can't have 2 carseats in one row, can you?

It's not negotiable for me- unfortunately. In a perfect world I'd love to - but he's SO much happier in the ergo (I know I can't use it during takeoff and landing) so I plan to use that for him while we're flying. I've flown with both of them ebfore - but didn't use a carseat for my 2yo and had help with the 7m old.

I'm trying to decide between not bringing a car seat at all and buying one when we get there, and buying a light/small/cheap carseat (like the cosco) for the flight...

And I love the rear facing suggestion for 2 year old...she may love it. I hope the carseat fits RF in the plane - I can barely get our RF carseats to fit in our Matrix! Airplane seats have less space than that!

cor825

For something like $45 (US) you can get a Cosco Scenera, which is SUPER light and easy to carry. Spend closer to $80 (sound about right?) you can get the Avenue, which has EPS foam and (I think) higher harness slots.

Does the Scerna really fit width wise? The specs seem to say it's too wide...but I believe you if you used it!

I'm actually in the states (Seattle) and driving up to Vancouver to catch the plane. So I can get the carseat here before I leave.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
Yes the scerena does fit. Tons use it for travel. If you RF in it you will need pool noodles. Get the 40# RF version. Target usually has this version.

Hopefully someone from Australia will see this and can share about there seats. How would you get a seat bought without leaving the airport? Are you taking a seat for the 7m with you, if so what seat?

I won't fly without a carseat personally. Its just to dangerous for the child and others on the flight. The lap belts on planes don't fit kids until around age 4-5y. Fit on planes is important like a car.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
By the way your kids can also be at a 30-35 degree angle (depending on the carseat) since they have head control. So, you don't have to install at the newborn 45 degree angle. If you search on here for photos on plane, hopefully you can see a bunch of seats on planes.

Alison's Mom

We are from Vancouver and will be flying to Australia too, but with stopovers into Perth, then direct back from Sydney. Here's my thread http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=167431. Someone from Australia recommended a couple of seats that are well-rated and would likely work well for my two, although your kids are different ages. She might be willing to help recommend seats for you if you send her a private message.

Good luck with your flights - I will have dh with us, although based on our last flight to Hawaii, he might be more of a hindrance than help! LOL.

If you are getting a seat before flying, I would definitely buy in Seattle and not Vancouver. You have way more selection and better prices south of the border.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC