Car seat clinics (or other resources) in Ottawa, ON, Canada

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The poster is talking about seminars offered by CRST instructors, where parents can learn (in general) how to pick and install a seat. I don't think they teach that you are then to go out and install all sorts of people's seats ;) , but instead that you would know the basics of car seat installation no matter which seat you pick (like how to read your manual).

The original post did suggest parents could then go on to install other parents seats:

After the seminar you should be able to help others install their car seats.

This is really the statement that is concerning to me (and I think I can safely say Nicole as well.)

2hrs is long enough for you to learn how to properly install and use your own seat. It's not long enough for you to be able to help other parents. Especially not portray yourself as being able to help other parents.

The statement that I quoted, implies that by taking a 2hr course you'll be able to install your own seats, and other parents seats too. And that simply isn't the case. 2 hrs is long enough to learn the difference between an acceptable install and one that's not acceptable. It's long enough to learn how to use a locking clip, learn what stage of seat to use, and to read instruction manuals, and have a parent install their own seat. But there is no way in the world that 2hrs can possibly cover all of the different scenarios that may be encountered if a parent branched out to helping other parents. And that idea shouldn't be encouraged at all.

I also just want to take a moment and say that ideally parents are being taught how to install their own seats. I know at local clinics here parents don't get the opportunity to re-do the install for themselves after the instruction, but when I do private checks parents absolutely leave fully able to install their own seats, use it properly, and knowing when to move to the next stage. (The parent is the last one to install the seat and buckle the child in when they leave a private check I've done.)

A 2hr course is fantastic for caregivers and sounds similar to the course parents in AB can take to have their ticket dismissed if they're ticketed for improper carseat use. I can tell you though, that at the end of those classes parents/caregivers are not told that they can help others install their seats.

There's a reason why the tech course is 16hrs - 2hrs should be enough for most parents to understand how to properly use and install their own seats, it's not enough to encompass the full safety issues, laws and special circumstances that exist - nor does it give opportunity to provide enough information to properly offer advice to other parents. I would argue that a parent who spends many many hours here would be better equipped to help others install seats than someone who has taken a 2hr course - and we absolutely don't encourage anyone who isn't a tech to assist others with their seats in the role of an expert - even if they're well versed and informed from being around here for months or longer.

I think the 2hr course is great for parents and caregivers, and should be plenty adequate for them to learn how to install and properly use their own seats, and how to keep their own children safe in the car. And I'm not discouraging parents from taking the course for themselves at all. But I truly think there should be an emphasis made to those who attend the course that taking the training does not make them able to install other's seats for them. 2hrs just doesn't make an expert. Heck, even at the end of the 16hr course there is still a steep learning curve for the first little bit and around here new techs are often paired with more experienced techs at seat checks so that they can get more hands on experience before going solo at checks. And I think that's a good thing.

(I just want to note that I make these comments as a tech, but also as a parent who was properly installing and properly using my seats prior to taking the tech course. I knew many trouble shooting skills and was familiar with best practice. I was 100% competent in installing and using my own seats prior to taking the tech course - and in all honesty probably could've helped friends with some basics. But I learned much much more over the course of the 2 day course than what I already knew. And it is information that has changed how I view some things, and what I would've communicated to parents before taking the tech course is definitely different than what I communicate now. So I think it's fair to compare the amount of knowledge I had prior to taking the tech course as being equal to (possibly even more considering the hours I'd spent here reading technical posts,) as what a parent taking a 2hr course would have. But it most definitely was not sufficient to be helping other parents in the role of somebody who is educated on the subject or had formal instruction.)

ADS

hipmaman

I truly think that parents learning how to install their own seats and understanding the fundamental of carseat safety is great. It is after all what we techs have been trained for - to help parents to help themselves.

But I agree with what Nicole and Trudy have questioned and said regarding whether it's wise for a parent after 2hrs of carseat info session should branch out and help other parents. I can see helping someone else with a similar situation/scenario (carseat, vehicle, position, etc.) but to help someone else in a different scenario or often challenging cases would not be prudent with the limited knowledge acquired in 2 hrs.

In addition to the classroom hours that techs took, there are the hours put into practical experience in actual installations and trouble shootings, the continuous development (either on a personal basis or through an organisation that a tech is affiliated with) to stay current and updated, the recertification after 3 yrs, etc.

Also to keep in mind that at a clinic, techs work in team and their installations are checked and signed off by senior tech(s) or instructors. Mistakes can happen or an inexperienced tech might need the guidance, therefore working in team of 2 and having someone else with more experience to check off their work is a good way to minimise or eliminate errors all together. For this reason, I'm even skeptical at some private services that has the lone tech working.

tcottawa

I totally agree with you guys, no one should feel like they can install everybody else's seats after that class. I think (not having attended one) the idea of the class is to show the parents a variety of different seats at different stages, and possibly encourage ones that RF past 22 lbs, and harness after 40 lbs. I know that the instructors of the class don't think of it as something that would replace CRST training, or make someone competent to install other people's seats. That is not how the seminar is presented to parents, at least not by the coalition.

I mean, after two clinics, I certainly don't feel confident installing everybody's seats correctly, and I am checked by at least one (and sometimes more!) instructor before the seat is signed off on. These are the same instructors teaching that class, and they're really anal (and I mean that in the best possible way) :)

U

Unregistered

Everyone,

I totally agree with your points and want to assure you that the instructors running the Car Seat SEMINARS are definitely NOT promoting parents go around and install other peoples' car seats. Because most parents want to just get their seats inspected rather than have to sit in a 2 hrs. seminar, the point was to encourage parents to attend the CAR SEAT SEMINARS. The information was suggested without realizing the implications and liability of it.

Our number 1 priority is children's safety which is why we're offering these courses in the first place.

Thanks for your feedback since it has helped us in making sure we promote the correct information.

Thanks for all your efforts in keeping everyone informed and most importantly: SAFE on the road!

hipmaman

Everyone,

I totally agree with your points and want to assure you that the instructors running the Car Seat SEMINARS are definitely NOT promoting parents go around and install other peoples' car seats. Because most parents want to just get their seats inspected rather than have to sit in a 2 hrs. seminar, the point was to encourage parents to attend the CAR SEAT SEMINARS. The information was suggested without realizing the implications and liability of it.

Our number 1 priority is children's safety which is why we're offering these courses in the first place.

Thanks for your feedback since it has helped us in making sure we promote the correct information.

Thanks for all your efforts in keeping everyone informed and most importantly: SAFE on the road!

We would love to have you around, so please register so we know who we are helping :) You get a lot of info on this site - Canadian, US and int'l.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC