Car seat as checked baggage in original box

lilpenguin

Is this a huge no-no if it is in factory box with original padding?

BFF is traveling with her 3 month old but not buying a seat. There is an option to buy a seat for the destination (her moms house) but she will be travelling again in a month to Boston and will need a seat there (again, not buying a seat for baby).
If she packs up her infant seat in the box and checks it, would it remain safe?

Otherwise, what would you recommend?

ADS

creideamh

Depends who you ask, but it's fine by me (I really don't see it any differently than shipping.) The bigger concern is the baby loose on the plane. Has she researched airplane safety and considered buying the baby a seat?

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
If buying a ticket for baby to have his or her own seat just isn't going to happen, I would definitely recommend that she bring her infant seat to the gate and ask if there are any empty seats on the flight and if so, could they try to accommodate her baby having his/her own seat to use the carseat in flight. Most flight attendants will try to accommodate this request if the flight isn't full. Of course if the flight is full then she'll have to gate-check the seat. Personally, I don't have a problem with gate checking under these circumstances. I would never recommend checking a seat with your regular luggage but gate-checking isn't as bad and at least she won 't have to worry about the seat being MIA when she reaches her destination. A carseat travel bag isn't a bad idea either in case it winds up gate-checked. It won't protect the seat like a cardboard box will but at least it will keep it clean.

lilpenguin

If buying a ticket for baby to have his or her own seat just isn't going to happen, I would definitely recommend that she bring her infant seat to the gate and ask if there are any empty seats on the flight and if so, could they try to accommodate her baby having his/her own seat to use the carseat in flight. Most flight attendants will try to accommodate this request if the flight isn't full. Of course if the flight is full then she'll have to gate-check the seat. Personally, I don't have a problem with gate checking under these circumstances. I would never recommend checking a seat with your regular luggage but gate-checking isn't as bad and at least she won 't have to worry about the seat being MIA when she reaches her destination. A carseat travel bag isn't a bad idea either in case it winds up gate-checked. It won't protect the seat like a cardboard box will but at least it will keep it clean.

I had been asking her to buy a seat when she originally booked the tickets, but she but it off till now. Problem is that they are southwest tickets and they are now twice the price of when she booked, over $300 each way, so I doubt it will happen.

I thought gate-checking was a big no-no as well.

nannykates

I would also vote bring it to the gate in case of extra seats. I've seen lots of parents kicking themselves at the gate for checking the carseat when they ended up sitting next to an empty seat. It also wouldn't hurt to ask when you are checking your bag if the flight is full so you know if its worth it or not.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC