Car help please? Nissan Altima or Dodge Caliber

Laurette

My hubby is being oh so kind and letting me trade in his Mountaineer, (which I drive primarially(sp)) to get a smaller car that is eaiser for me to drive and get in and out of. Plus we really need better gas mileage.

So far I really like nissans. But I like the look of hatch backs too. I want something that can potentially hold three carseats, or maybe two carseats and a booster or infant seat. It is really hard to tell how big/how much space there is in the back seat from pictures online.

Anyway, I am asking for advice and opinnions on what you would buy. If you know any cars that can fit three carseats in the back, PLMK!

We are looking to stay away from vans for now. And we would like something close to 10K because we will have around 4K rollover from out mountaineer. ICK!

Here are links to the Dodge Caliber and the Nissan Altima we are looking at. If anyone has a newer Nissan Sentra and can tell me about it that would be great as well.

TIA for any and all help/replies.

ADS

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
We rented a Dodoge Caliber once. It's a nice car. 3 across the back would be a squeeze, I think. Might work with boosters or Radians. We installed a RF Marathon in the rear center with the belt and it was an easy, solid install.

There's a poster on here with a Corolla and she has 3 convertible seat in the backseat.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
My hubby is being oh so kind and letting me trade in his Mountaineer, (which I drive primarially(sp)) to get a smaller car that is eaiser for me to drive and get in and out of. Plus we really need better gas mileage.

So far I really like nissans. But I like the look of hatch backs too. I want something that can potentially hold three carseats, or maybe two carseats and a booster or infant seat. It is really hard to tell how big/how much space there is in the back seat from pictures online.

Anyway, I am asking for advice and opinnions on what you would buy. If you know any cars that can fit three carseats in the back, PLMK!

We are looking to stay away from vans for now. And we would like something close to 10K because we will have around 4K rollover from out mountaineer. ICK!

Here are links to the Dodge Caliber and the Nissan Altima we are looking at. If anyone has a newer Nissan Sentra and can tell me about it that would be great as well.

TIA for any and all help/replies.

stay away from the SENTRA~!
I say this because, with the exception of a 2007 or newer model, the crash test results are bad, really bad. And if you can only spend $10K, you would be looking at something older than 2007, right? I don't have any info about the other models, but the sentra is one we looked into, and i was appalled at the safety ratings. My friend just bought one, and we could barely get TWO carseats back there, not big ones either, 1 booster and 1 combo seat. I can't see 3 fitting.

southpawboston

the OP is looking at a 2005 altima, bigger than a sentra.

i heard the caliber has non-moveable headrests in the back, making it awkward to tether a FF seat. the tether goes over the headrest and mushes it down. someone here posted pictures. lame detail on diamlercharysler's part.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Um, the OP did ask about the Sentra. ;)

www.informedforlife.org is a good site to check out when researching a vehicle purchase. The site's owner has developed a formula to assign a safety score to each vehicle model based in part on the model's crash test scores. It's very helpful for comparison shopping.

Melanie

We have an 03 Altima and love it. I've never actually put 3 car seats in, but it should work. I can put 2 rf Britax seats and still have enough room for an outboard passenger. I have to use seat belt installation for both when doing that. With 2 seats outboard installed with latch, it's possible for a small person to squeeze into the middle seat-but just barely and probably not very safely (I know b/c I squeezed back there on the way to the ER)

Ours is the 4 cylender (sp?). It gets great gas mileage for a car that size and has tons of power. The trunk is very big too.

I love that it has a telescoping steering wheel. I'm 5'2" and hubby is 6'3" and we both fit well.

My only real complaint would be that there is no head rest in the middle of the back seat. The seat comes up pretty high so it would be ok for a bigger kid or short adult. I doubt many other cars have a middle head rest either.

btw: ours has 85k miles and no real mechanical problems. I noticed the one on your link has a salvaged title. This usually means it had been totaled in an accident...I'd get detailed info on the car's history if that's the one you are looking at.

Last edited:

Niea

I rented the Caliber once and hated it. I thought the visibility was really bad. But that's just me. . obviously other's really like it.

So definitely get in a good test drive, or even rent one for a day to be sure!

sixboys

I also had a Dodge Caliber as a rental car, and it was a pretty small backseat. You'd really have to squeeze to get three seats across.

I only drove it for a few days, but to be honest, I wasn't all that impressed - it had dismal pickup and just felt sort-of cheapy. My sister has driven Altimas and Maximas, and they are much nicer vehicles, in my unprofessional opinion. My Dad owned an auto repair shop for years, and he was a huge fan of Nissans, Hondas, Mazdas and most Toyotas, he says they are well made cars.

Laurette

Yeah, after my hubby pointed that out I crossed it off our list for sure.

But I still like Nissans. :) We have found another Altima that is being sold by an individual so we may go with that.

Thanks for the help! I am still looking though. Anyone know about the saftey of the Altima?

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Have you looked at a Chevy Impala? They can easily fit 3 across with very little issues. Plus it has LATCH in all 3 positions. My friend has an '06 Altima and it is hard to get 3 across (2 MA's & a low back booster).

Have you looked at a used Saturn Vue hybrid? I have gotten 3 RA's across the back. Plus it has LATCH in all 3 seating postions.

sirrahn

I also had a Dodge Caliber as a rental car, and it was a pretty small backseat. You'd really have to squeeze to get three seats across.

I only drove it for a few days, but to be honest, I wasn't all that impressed - it had dismal pickup and just felt sort-of cheapy.

DH drives lots of rental cars when he travels for work and the only 2 that he's ever complained about are the Caliber (he also said it felt cheap and wouldn't go) and some Kia, I think, that I can't recall the name of.

Laurette

Have you looked at a Chevy Impala? They can easily fit 3 across with very little issues. Plus it has LATCH in all 3 positions. My friend has an '06 Altima and it is hard to get 3 across (2 MA's & a low back booster).

Have you looked at a used Saturn Vue hybrid? I have gotten 3 RA's across the back. Plus it has LATCH in all 3 seating postions.

Is the Vue a SUV?

And sorry but what is a RA?

babidius

We have a 97 altima with probably a little over 90,000, not exactly sure as I passed it down to DH when we got the CRV. But the NIssan has been very reliable, we are very happy with it and DH will probably drive it until it falls apart which will be awhile!

andbabiesmake4

Go with the Altima. It MAY be a bit more on gas but it's going to keep it's value longer. The caliber is the new neon.. the new "throw away car"... A lot like the cavaliers & sunfires. Trust me, we've BTDT.. bought a NEW neon and 1 year later traded it in and got $3000 for a car we still owed $8000 on :rolleyes:

lilysmomma

I have a Caliber, and if you are looking to put 3 across I would not reccomend it. I think the only way you could get 3 across is if you had Radians on either side and an infant seat in the middle. The PP is correct in that the headrest do not move. Overall I have been very pleased with it and we have had it a little over a year. It's just not meant for more than 1 or 2 kids. We will probably trade it in before #2 comes along.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC