Car crash - booster seat question

sweetpeamami83

We totaled our van over the weekend. We had 5 kids in carseats. The insurance is having no problem replacing the 5-point harness seats but he tells me that booster seats do not need replacing since there are no straps on them per the national highway safety institute? Is this correct? Are my backless boosters still safe to use?

11 yo in backless amp
10 yo in backless big kid evenflo
5 yo old in diono radian r100
2 yo old in my ride 65
10mo old in graco size 4 me 70

Last edited:
ADS

1mommy

What does the manual say of the booster seat? I know all convertibles (only car seat I have personal experience with) all say to be replaced after a crash.

sweetpeamami83

What does the manual say of the booster seat? I know all convertibles (only car seat I have personal experience with) all say to be replaced after a crash.

I have had seats replaced by insurance before and it included booster seats that was 5 years ago. However this time around hes telling me only seats with straps on them need replacing. I hope maybe a tech can give me a correct answer! :)

aeormsby

Yes, booster seats also need to be replaced. They might not have straps but the plastic arms are what holds the seatbelt in place and they have been stressed by the accident also.

Check the manuals, I would think they also have a statement like harness seats do about replacing after a crash.

ETA - I just checked my Recaro Vivo manual and it has this statement:
Discontinue use of your Vivo / Vivo lite child restraint that is older than six
years or has been in a severe crash to prevent injury due to deterioration or
hidden damage. See date of manufacture, located on restraint.

So a copy of the relevant page for the insurance company should hopefully set them straight.

sweetpeamami83

Yes, booster seats also need to be replaced. They might not have straps but the plastic arms are what holds the seatbelt in place and they have been stressed by the accident also.

Check the manuals, I would think they also have a statement like harness seats do about replacing after a crash.

ETA - I just checked my Recaro Vivo manual and it has this statement:
Discontinue use of your Vivo / Vivo lite child restraint that is older than six
years or has been in a severe crash to prevent injury due to deterioration or
hidden damage. See date of manufacture, located on restraint.

So a copy of the relevant page for the insurance company should hopefully set them straight.

I don't even know where to look for the manuals. Can I find them online?

sweetpeamami83

Yes generally you can find them online, what booster seat is it?

I found them and I emailed him the pdf file of them. He told me yesterday though they don't replace them. They only replace stuff with straps and thats per the national highway safety institute? I will see what he says.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I found them and I emailed him the pdf file of them. He told me yesterday though they don't replace them. They only replace stuff with straps and thats per the national highway safety institute? I will see what he says.

Does he mean NHTSA? If so, their crash replacement criteria doesn't specify harnessed or booster, just "child restraint". http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/childps/childrestraints/reuse/restraintreuse.htm

You could call NHTSA to ask if that includes boosters just so you know if you have an easy rebuttal to work with. Insurance guy: "The NHTSA says only harnessed seats", You: "no, boosters are included, I just spoke to <name> and you can contact him at <number> to verify" Assuming that's what NHTSA tells you.

sweetpeamami83

He told me he will go ahead and replace the boosters. He also told me they will take 20% off the seat for every year the seat is past the date of manufacture. So even if I have a radian which I paid 299 for if the seat is two years old he will take 40% off the seat. Really?!

1mommy

He told me he will go ahead and replace the boosters. He also told me they will take 20% off the seat for every year the seat is past the date of manufacture. So even if I have a radian which I paid 299 for if the seat is two years old he will take 40% off the seat. Really?!

I would fight that as you can't buy a used car seat like you would a car so I wouldn't count deprecation into it. Talk to a manager and be the squeaky (but polite) wheel.

Carolinadaisy

I would fight that 20% off thing! If seats need replaced, then you will need full replacement value covered. It isn't a vehicle with depreciation. It is a life saving safety device.

You can buy a safe used vehicle, but you cannot go the store and buy a safe, used car seat. It just isn't the same scenario at all.

sweetpeamami83

I would fight that 20% off thing! If seats need replaced, then you will need full replacement value covered. It isn't a vehicle with depreciation. It is a life saving safety device.

You can buy a safe used vehicle, but you cannot go the store and buy a safe, used car seat. It just isn't the same scenario at all.

I agree. That is not fair. I also have no say so over dom on carseats. Some seats sit with a dom that is six months prior before they sell. I bought a seat for our now 10mo when he was 2 months and it has a 2012 dom. The seat is maybe 8 months old. It for sure was not bought in 2012.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Our insurance company depreciates seats as well. My seats had been made just over a year prior to the accident, but I had only bought them 6 months prior. So she used my receipt and have me full value rather than depreciating a year.

That being said, many other items are depreciated on a vehicle as well. For example struts and tires. Although they replaced with new parts in our vehicle, insurance takes off money for the wear and rear. So they measure tires and determine the wear and inspect struts for example. We paid the difference between the "worn value" and the new price on several parts. Many of the parts were unsafe to buy used and insurance will only replace with new parts. This is clear in our insurer's web site. Insurance costs would sky rocket if they didn't do this.

Long story for one example in our case. We had one damaged tire, with only 10% wear so they fully paid for ONE tire. Problem was, the manufacturer did not make our tires anymore and we could not buy just one. Any replacement tire was different tread, different rubber, etc. which would compromise the handling of our vehicle and also put uneven wear on the suspension. Both the tire manufacturer and vehicle manufacturer said it was unsafe to have mismatched tires on our vehicle and we had to pay for the other 3 new ones to have 4 matching tires. Insurance would not cover all 4 tires even though it was what was needed to have our vehicle safe on the road.

Do I think it's right? I'm not sure. I understand why insurance companies do it. I would have been paying higher rates all along otherwise. Maybe I evened out, maybe not.

ETA: it's typically insurance's job to put you back where you were before. Not worse and not better. This is why with parts that wear or have a lifespan, they depreciate them. Giving you something with more life than what you had would be putting you "better" than you were before at their expense.

And I grumbled more times than you can count when it happened to us as it cost us $1700 for upgrades to parts (darn fancy suspension system) and new tires. I'd have about flipped my lid if I'd have had my car seats depreciated too. Rubbing salt in the wound I tell ya!

Last edited:

sweetpeamami83

I have responded to him. Basically this is what would happen my 11 year old was riding in a evenflo amp with a 2011 dom date. SO basically they would give me roughly $12 for that seat. I cannot replace his booster seat with $12.

When we had seats replaced by the same insurance company five years ago they gave us market value.

First the insurance adjuster told us to go buy the same seats and give him the receipt and he would cut us a check. Problem is I went out and bought cheap seats to just get us through. I don't have $600 to go throw on carseats. I asked him if I could just give him pictures of the carseat and show him the prices online he said yes. After I brought up the booster seats needing replaced per the manual then he came back and said his boss reminded him of depreciation value.

:mad:Guess I should of just ate the price of the booster seats and not of asked.

11 yo in backless amp
10 yo in backless big kid evenflo
5 yo old in diono radian r100
2 yo old in my ride 65
10mo old in graco size 4 me 70

nannykates

Assuming your myride is only 1 year old you should get approximately $446.40 for all 5 seats.

With the cartwheel deal this week you can get 2 backless amps, a myride, and a headwise for $263.20 plus tax.

That leaves about $175 for a seat for your 5yo.

Just realizing im a dork, but ibhope that helps!

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
If they are going to depreciate them, I'd show them the correct lifespan of each seat and make them divide by that.

This! Most car seats last longer than 5 years! How insane that they would give you nothing even if you would have been able to continue using that seat for another year or more!

I also think the idea of depreciation is ridiculous in general. It only encourages parents to go out and make bad choices with a used car seat or switching to a different one that doesn't fit the child or vehicle well. Insurance companies should be concerned with keeping kids safe! I understand if they don't want to pay for your upgrade (replacing an infant seat with a convertible, for example), but they should at least give you the same thing that you lost. If they want to buy up a bunch of unsold seats after they've lost a year or two off their lifespan and give them to parents, then I guess that's up to them if they want to make it "fair."

Did a 5-year expiration used to be the standard? Maybe this policy is just woefully out of date?

Athena

If they are going to depreciate them, I'd show them the correct lifespan of each seat and make them divide by that.

:yeahthat: Plus you can't buy a seat the day it's made, so he should start the depreciation a few months out from the DOM to be realistic. The whole thing sounds so ridiculous. Sorry you're having to deal with this.

P.S. When you buy the new seats, make sure you read and keep those manuals.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC