can't get Frontier installed in Grand Caravan

can't get Frontier installed in Grand Caravan (added pics)

I am trying (Second attempt) to get the Frontier installed in the third row of my Grand Caravan. It's just not happening! I have tried outboard with the seatbelt in the long path and short path. Neither work. THe seatbelt isn't long enough for the long path. With the short path, the buckle wants to go into the belt path even with the stalk twisted 3 full turns. This happens also in the middle with the lap belt only. I've tilted the seat back, installed, then brought it forward. still not working. the short belt path is trying to "eat" the buckle. I could do latch in the second row, but that would only buy me 2 to 3 pounds before the latch limit (my van states 40#). I am at a loss :( I have this beautiful brand new Frontier with a beautiful manufacture date of sept 09 and I can't get it installed! :mad:

Last edited:
ADS

horseymom

I feel you pain. I have a rental 2010 Grand caravan for this week and it took me an hour to get my Frontier installed in the 2nd row captians chair with LBP. Our TF wasn't a breeze either! LOL Sorry I'm no help to you

Mommy0608

OP, what year is your van? You mention twisting the stalks so it's different from mine (mine has fixed stalks and Stow-n-Go seats. It's a 2009.) I was able to do LBP just fine.

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble. I've only installed a Frontier twice, both in Grand Caravans... one is my own van, and another at a seat check using LATCH.

ETA: Ooops, sorry OP - I missed the fact that you're installing in the 3rd row. I've never tried a Frontier in the 3rd row in any vehicle. Maybe the captains chairs would work?

Last edited:
It's a 2005. The stalk is the flexible belt material and not fixed. It's not stow and go, either. It has 2 bench seats.

I am thinking my only option is to sell it.. but I REALLY don't want to do that! Is the Nautilus easier to install? Gosh, I REALLY want to keep this Frontier.

Mommy0608

With flexible belt stalks and no Stow-n-Go, the Nautilus might be easier... hopefully someone will come along who knows more about your van.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
If you dont twist the female buckle stalk, can you get the buckle completely into the beltpath? It's okay to have it either completely out of, or completely in to, the beltpath. What you don't want ot do is have the buckle hitting the edge of teh beltpath or being "caught" on it. But completely inside and flat is okay, usually.
Also...many, MANY of us have at one point *thought* that a certain belt was too short for LBP...but if you work really hard and pull it out all the way and don't let it in even a millimeter, and stretch and pull and bounce and tug and swear, you have *just* enough belt to get it in. This is the case in dh's stupid metro.

kittykate

Also...many, MANY of us have at one point *thought* that a certain belt was too short for LBP...but if you work really hard and pull it out all the way and don't let it in even a millimeter, and stretch and pull and bounce and tug and swear, you have *just* enough belt to get it in. This is the case in dh's stupid metro.

Just wanted to add that IME, a chip clip or binder clip is really useful when doing the LBP install to keep the seat belt fully extended until you are ready for it to retract :)

Can you install it in the 2nd row vs the 3rd row?

I have not tried that, but think I will have the same issues. If I do this, then I have to put my youngest RF in the third row. I really don't like that idea. just personal preference as my child would be VERY unhappy. We are purposely avoiding putting the boys next to each other because they fight like cats and dogs. It is NOT fun for anyone in the van. LOL

If you dont twist the female buckle stalk, can you get the buckle completely into the beltpath? It's okay to have it either completely out of, or completely in to, the beltpath. What you don't want ot do is have the buckle hitting the edge of teh beltpath or being "caught" on it. But completely inside and flat is okay, usually.

At first, I didn't twist it at all. this put the buckle somewhat in, but not all the way. then I tried one twist, then two, and then three. I am not comfortable with any of it.

I pulled out every bit of slack on the belt and put my entire weight into the seat at the same time. I tried at least 3 times and still couldn't manage to get enough seatbelt. it's a few inches short. :thumbsdown:

BigDaddy

You are aware that you have to flip the latch plate over in order to get it to lock correct? Otherwise when you tighten it, the belt will immediately loosen back up.

Also, the belt should be plenty long for the LBP. Pull it completely out, then go ahead and route the shoulder portion over the back of the car seat and behind the headrest, before attemping to buckle it... this will give you the crucial length that you need to get it to buckle.

BTW: Make sure that the recline block is forward, and the tether is not behind the seat, otherwise you'll be very upset when you have to loosen it back up to make the corrections.

Don't fear, the first time installing the Frontier is the hardest after you figure it out, it gets a lot easier.

You are aware that you have to flip the latch plate over in order to get it to lock correct? Otherwise when you tighten it, the belt will immediately loosen back up.

Also, the belt should be plenty long for the LBP. Pull it completely out, then go ahead and route the shoulder portion over the back of the car seat and behind the headrest, before attemping to buckle it... this will give you the crucial length that you need to get it to buckle.

BTW: Make sure that the recline block is forward, and the tether is not behind the seat, otherwise you'll be very upset when you have to loosen it back up to make the corrections.

Don't fear, the first time installing the Frontier is the hardest after you figure it out, it gets a lot easier.

the latch plate is locking and working fine. it stays tight. I have installed other carseats there before.

I tried several times to pull out all slack and there just isn't enough belt there. I did exactly what you said several times and it just isn't working :(

Oh, and don't worry, I learned a long time ago to have the tether pulled out and out of the way. when I first installed my boulevard, I had to reinstall cause I couldn't get to the tether.

and yep, the block is flipped forward.

I am going to try again this evening when DH gets home and can help me.

jsmom

We have a 98 T&C and its impossible to get the seat installed in the back. Ive tried sooo many times with no luck. The belt is def a few inches short and all the pushing down and stretching didnt help.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Sounds like you may have a true incompatibility. Perhaps you shoudl start thinkgin about what your second-choice arrangement would be.........

jsmom

Sounds like you may have a true incompatibility. Perhaps you shoudl start thinkgin about what your second-choice arrangement would be.........

Thats what we have done. Our Frontier is collecting dust right now and im borrowing a friends BLVD until I can get rid of the Frontier.

Thats what we have done. Our Frontier is collecting dust right now and im borrowing a friends BLVD until I can get rid of the Frontier.

I may have to end up selling the Frontier :crying: I really really really don't want to do that, though. I certainly can't use it if I can't get it installed, though. I've had my eye on the Frontier for a LONG time and finally got one. To give it up... will break my heart!

I talked to Britax twice today. They are still figuring things out and will call me again tomorrow I guess with more suggestions. :confused:

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I'm guessing since it's a bench seat it doesn't recline at all? We got a LBP to work in a Sedona by reclining the vehicle seat, buckling, then pushing the vehicle seat back to upright.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC