Question Can we all ride in our Truck?

ktjo17

We have a 2006 Dodge Ram. We are a family of six with kids ages 7, 5.5, 2.5, and a 7 month old. We live in California where they recently changed the car seat law to:

California Law (Effective 01/01/2012):

Children under the age of 8
*OR*
under 4 feet 9 inches in height must be secured in a car seat or booster seat.

Additionally, children under age 8 must be secured in the back seat.

We want to go on a trip over the kids spring break and normally we take our truck because my vehicle will not hold us and all our stuff. What I want to do is put a harnessed forward facing car seat in the front middle of our truck. The front middle only has a lap belt so it's really not good for anything else. Everyone else will be in car seats in the back. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd put the 5.5 year old in the front harnessed, the 7 year old in the back boostered, and the 2.5 and baby in the back rear facing. Yup. Should work.

Regardless of the law, your kids need boosters until as close to 12 as they fit. That's when it's safe by the laws of physics, not those of the state of California.

http://www.carseat.org/Boosters/630.htm (add to that a sixth step, do their feet reach the floor?)

http://www.nhtsa.gov/ChildSafety/step4

And since you have someone in every age range on the NHTSA page, here's the main link. http://www.nhtsa.gov/Safety/CPS

And one more about rear facing and why it's so important.

http://carseatblog.com/5168/why-rear-facing-is-better-your-rf-link-guide/

Wendy

ktjo17

So even though it says under 8 must be in the back....it would be okay to have the 5.5 yr old harnessed in the front since the back was full?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Regardless of the law, you don't have a legal way to transport everyone, but this is the SAFEST way to do it. The law is the law. My state has a clause that kids under 13 can sit in the front if there's no practical way to sit in the back. So I wouldn't worry about the legalities as much as keeping everyone safe.

Wendy

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Yes, in California, kids can be in the front if the back seat is full of other kids who aren't yet 8 or 4'9" (also under other rare circumstances, but likely none that apply to you).

California law also states that even if a child is older than 8 or taller than 4'9", the child still needs to be in a booster seat if the seatbelt alone doesn't fit properly. (Shoulder belt crossing chest, lap belt low on hips)

Jennifer mom to my 7

You have been given some great insight. But, make sure you read your trucks owner's manual, so that you can safely install the child restraint in the front seat of your truck. I believe there are a few that do not allow child restraint installation in the middle of the front seat bench.

ktjo17

You have been given some great insight. But, make sure you read your trucks owner's manual, so that you can safely install the child restraint in the front seat of your truck. I believe there are a few that do not allow child restraint installation in the middle of the front seat bench.

We read it last night and it doesn't say not too.

luckyclov

Ford says to avoid front center use for child restraints (including boosters), "if at all possible". I wouldn't call that allowed - it's just not flat-out prohibited, like Chevy/GM.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Subaru also recommends against using carseats in the center position. I think that Ford and Subaru know it's difficult to use seats properly in those positions, and they are covering their butts.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC