Can someone check the fit of this Monterey on my son?

ADS

tiggercat

Is the shoulder belt routed through the red belt guide? It looks like the shoulder belt is on the edge of his shoulder, not centered across the collarbone where it should be. Lap belt position is hard to tell in those photos.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Keeanh

Not a tech, but the lapbelt looks okay to me.

The shoulder belt isn't in the belt guides. When you put it in, double check that it will STAY in, even when you raise the headrest. It's a known problem with those seats that the shoulder belt pops out of the guide easily. The headrest also needs to be raised up a bit, I think.

bubbaray

I am really not jazzed about that fit.

1) shoulder belt is not through the red guide
2) shoulder belt seems too far to the shoulder but might be helped by 3
3) headrest needs to go up to the next notch
4) in some of the photos the lap belt is too high. Should rest on his upper thighs not his tummy

He looks like a turbo booster candidate to me

LP Mom

Thanks. I thought that the headrest was too low but was not sure. I will raise that a notch and guide the belt through the belt guide. This is his secondary car seat. He will be continue to ride harnessed in a Frontier in my car.

Keeanh

He looks like a turbo booster candidate to me

Yeah, that too. I was going to ask how old he was because he looks tiny in that seat, but then I saw your siggy. The shoulder thing might be fixed if the belt stays in the guide. But another reason the Monterey is better for big kids is because the seat itself is quite deep. On the odd occasion that my almost-6yo uses the seat, I have to remind her to scoot her bum all the way to the back because the deep seat encourages slouching (to get the knees comfy at the front).

LP Mom

DS was still up so I took more pics. I routed the belt through the guide and raised the headrest up a notch. Let me know what you think. New pics can be found in same link.

Thank you! So glad I asked for advice here!

bubbaray

Yeah, he looks like his bum isn't right at the back of the seat and he's scootching forward, so the belt is riding up. Its not hugely horrible, but I do think you could get a better fit with a HB Turbo.

LP Mom

Thanks. I already ripped the tags off the Monterey, so I cannot return it. I would appreciate tips to make this seat work as it is brand new.

Keeanh

The shoulder belt guide fixed that fit for sure. Now does the belt stay put in the guide? If it does, I think he would be okay with a reminder to scooch back and sit straight up. And hope he has a growth spurt in his legs soon ;). Maybe put something light or soft (cardboard box or a few old pillows) under his feet to help him keep his knees level & bum back. And for sure don't use this seat on longer trips where he might slouch or sleep until he's fully grown into it.

LP Mom

So it is unsafe for him to use the Monterey?

We do still have the Maestro, but I was planning on giving that to the sitter and I felt like getting another Frontier at this point was likely overkill. I also did not love the install I was getting with the Maestro. The plasticky bottom was not installing as solid as I would have liked in DH's car.

Now I am second guessing my decision, but like I said, I ripped the tags off. :/

bubbaray

I wouldn't be happy with that fit on my own child, No. Would I call it unsafe? Well, I think you can get a better fit with a different booster, which would be safER. like I said its not completely horrible but I do think you can do better.

The thing about boosters is they are all about fit. The booster either fits or it does not. That is why we really recommend trying before buying.

You could always keep it until he's older/bigger and get a cheap HBTB for right now. My guess is that even 6m of growing will improve that fit.

JMHO

bubbaray

It's the lap belt. It is too high which, I agree with Keenah, it is probably because the seat is too deep, causing him to scoot forward and the belt to ride up. If the lap portion doesn't fit properly, it can cause abdominal injuries in a crash. Plus it can lead to submarining in a crash so his body could go under the belt.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC