News Buckling kids on school buses in Nova Scotia

LittlePeanut

Apparently (though I can't find any news articles on it), they will be requiring all children under 9 AND under 4'9 AND under 40 lbs to be secured in child safety seats.

They are discussing it on the radio (95.7 FM) right now. They are talking to a bus union head and are saying it will be a huge hassle for the drivers as they are not current 'allowed' to touch the children. This means a parent or someone else will have to put the child and buckle/unbuckle the child.\

This regulation is to take effect January 1st, 2012.

Seems pretty easy to me. Any child under legal booster weight (40 lbs in Canada) who is not really protected by compartmentalization, must be harnessed.

I'm sorry the safety of my child is such a hassle to your life/day. :thumbsdown:

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
News article that likely prompted the talk:

http://m.ctv.ca/election/20111213/bus_drivers_111213.html

So besides slandering Kim Mundle (Child Safety Link), they never spoke to her and basically made it sound like it was a nuisance for the drivers and that physics did not support the idea of children under 40 lbs being less protected by compartmentalization.

I know Kim professionally and have met her. She is a great lady who is very knowledgeable and passionate and it is unfortunate that the media has portrayed her negatively. I'm going to email her and see if I can get any information that can be posted publicly regarding this matter. Media loves to take little snippets out of context so I'm sure we're not hearing the whole story.

3monkeys

My son brought home a notice about this yesterday. I was quite excited. This morning at the school some parents were talking and not happy about it. They didn't seem to understand why it was so important.

I have met Kim on a few occasions and she has so much knowledge to share. I think anything that can be posted for the public would be great.

chay

What age do kids start school is N.S.?

If they do this in Ontario (which has JK and SK) I think they would need to buy quite a few seats.

snowbird25ca

What age do kids start school is N.S.?

If they do this in Ontario (which has JK and SK) I think they would need to buy quite a few seats.

I can't answer that question, but I can tell you that in Edmonton one bus company is already looking at testing out seats with JK students proactively. It's unlikely Alberta legislation would change because we're always behind on that front, but this is a company/school test that could potentially expand if successful.

My bff is the bus driver who will be getting the seats installed on her bus, and they'll be replacing the regular benches with benches that have integrated seats. Each kid will be assigned a specific seat (which is already the norm,) and parents will be responsible for buckling the child in when they get on the bus in the morning as I understand it. (Pre-K kids already are in lap belts on this bus, and parents are already responsible for buckling them in, so that won't really be a change.) She is also a CRST, which is the reason that her bus has been chosen for the trial. :thumbsup:

snowbird25ca

Ok, so I have a reply back and I'm going to post in a summary response.

• Kids will be harnessed in built-in child restraints that already exist on buses built from 2007 onwards.
  • Only affects children under 40lbs. Age and height is irrelevant for the school bus policy.
  • Based on research done by TC that shows kids under 40lbs do not hit the seatback the same way as heavier children, instead they more bounce off of them due to their different proportions and lower weight - this means they don't benefit from the energy absorption materials in the seat backs.
  • Many other cities have been using the integrated seats on buses since they were introduced.
  • Not provincial law, but is a change in Halifax Regional School Board policy. Essentially the school board is just mandating that for kids under 40lbs, drivers use something they already have on their bus.

Not really the big deal media is making it out to be. Quite simple and straight forward in my opinion - media just loves to blow things out of proportion sometimes.

LittlePeanut

To answer a few questions... Children in NS start school in the calendar year in which they turn 5. We do not have JK in the public system. Parents or caregivers MUST be at the stop to meet their child. If the child is not met, they are not dropped off and instead, returned to the school.

True, age and height is irrelevant unless you happen to have a 9 y/o or 4'9 child who still weighs less than 40 lbs. I can't imagine how tiny they would need to be to still be that weight but I suppose it's possible. In that case, as I understand it, they will be allowed to ride 'free' of the harness.

jbarro

Well, MOST buses do not already have these type of child restraints installed, so basically a change is being legislated that doesn't have a hope of being put into practical use anytime in the near future. Only buses built within the past two years have this capability and the bus fleet does not get updated very quickly as they are well-maintained.

My concern is in the case of an accident or if for some other reason they need to get off the bus quickly - there is only one adult there to oversee 60 or more children and I think there is a great deal of possible danger involved in taking extra time to get all of the kids out safely, or the older, unrestrained children wandering around outside (on a street or highway) after they've exited with no one to guide them since the driver is unbuckling the little ones.

oddduck

Personally I think it's fantastic. I wish we had belts on buses in Ontario.

Normally there are belt cutters available for emergencies.

Personally my daughter is 4.5 and under 40lbs. I would like her to be harnessed on a bus. I would have no issue buckling her in/out.

canadiangie

My question is, I understand parents are buckling their children as they board the bus. Who is unbuckling them at school, and who is re-buckling them as they re-board the bus and depart for home after school?

canadiangie

Is the buckle system that difficult? Most children of kindy age are able to buckle/unbuckle their own harness.

You're right. My girls have been buckling independently for a very long time. But, I still check them visually, and offer cues to adjust things as needed.

Someone is going to have to oversee the process of these kids getting buckled into their bus seats. I'd like to know who, and what qualifications they have.

I'm a logistics girl. You show me that something is logistically doable, a reasonable expectation, with an achievable goal, and I'm all over it.

I'm just curious to know more details about this. It's fascinating.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC