BRU employee says Britax recalling Regents?

Morganthe

I hope the BRU person didn't know what they were talking about; if it IS a recall then that would mean the pre-6/18 Regents would need updated instructions, requiring the recline bar, and requiring short belt path for heavier kids. OR it could mean they are all being recalled (the new ones) because the manual is messed up! :p

This might sound crazy, but personally I am not worried about any major change to the pre-DOM 18 June Regents. (And I definitely would not be alarmed by what a BRU Employee says. How reliable is that source anyway? ;) )

BECAUSE..... imo, if there is supposed to be a major safety policy adjustment, then that new manual would apply to ALL Regents, regardless of DOM. It would require everyone to adopt these installation methods (mandatory recline bar, LBP & SBP rules). There wouldn't be 2 separate manuals for before and after a cutoff date. I'd also think they'd be on the ball to make the change very public and immediate to lessen liability issues. :shrug-shoulders:

I discovered from elitecarseats.com after a phone conference the rep had that a strap or belt will be replaced on the new version of the Regent. Older owners would have one sent out to them via mail.... but how far back on DOM is anyone's guess and what the rationale was for the change. It was a notification, not a recall alert.

Because I don't want any part of their new changes, I deliberately searched for a Madison with a DOM prior to the affected date. (I located and ordered it too ;) ) It seems that Britax is only interested in changing those with new DOM's, so I might actually be correct in my non-worry hunch about older models. Here's hoping ;) :thumbsup:

Last edited:
ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I discovered from elitecarseats.com after a phone conference the rep had that a strap or belt will be replaced on the new version of the Regent. Older owners would have one sent out to them via mail.... but how far back on DOM is anyone's guess and what the rationale was for the change. It was a notification, not a recall alert.

Interesting, wonder if this strap is a new LATCH strap to do the long belt path LATCH installation mentioned in the newer Regent manual? I'm just speculating, of course, and probably should just quietly wait and see what info. is forthcoming next week. :eek:

hsjwmom

I went to BRU yesterday and I DID notice there were no Regents out...Kinda wondered about it but WoW. This whole situation in pretty interesting.

Connor's Mom

This might sound crazy, but personally I am not worried about any major change to the pre-DOM 18 June Regents. (And I definitely would not be alarmed by what a BRU Employee says. How reliable is that source anyway? ;) )

BECAUSE..... imo, if there is supposed to be a major safety policy adjustment, then that new manual would apply to ALL Regents, regardless of DOM. It would require everyone to adopt these installation methods (mandatory recline bar, LBP & SBP rules). There wouldn't be 2 separate manuals for before and after a cutoff date. I'd also think they'd be on the ball to make the change very public and immediate to lessen liability issues. :shrug-shoulders:

Because I don't want any part of their new changes, I deliberately searched for a Madison with a DOM prior to the affected date. (I located and ordered it too ;) ) It seems that Britax is only interested in changing those with new DOM's, so I might actually be correct in my non-worry hunch about older models. Here's hoping ;) :thumbsup:

This is all just so confusing! So the "recall" or "notification" is going to be for the seats with the DOM after the 6/18/07 date only? My 4/07 seat will not be effected? That sounds crazy to me.
I don't know what I will do with the new instructions. It was impossible to get a tight install that was not too reclined using the LATCH or the recline bar. Until I hear otherwise I will continue to use my seat Long Belt Path, no recline bar and using the top tether.

oxeye

If they recall the covers for new directions do we get to keep the old ones? ;)

Somehow I doubt they'd replace both of mine.

scatterbunny

Thanks for the insight. I really don't want to give up a LBP install for my 45+ lb. 5 year old, :( it's so solid in either of our vehicles compared to other methods, and I'm anxiously awaiting any further clarification from Britax after this weekend.

Ditto. :( Change the 45+ lb. 5yo to a 51+ lb. 6yo and everything's the same. I love love love the long belt path, how the shoulderbelt holds the top of the seat back, how the belt wrapping around the front of the sides of the seat shell hold it so securely. Requiring short belt path for heavier kids will seriously impact the ease of installation in many cases.

scatterbunny

good point

The cover does have those instructions on it, I hadn't thought about that.

They are going to be slapping themselves upside the head if they have to issue yet another cover recall in such a short time period. (especially since it would include every Husky/Regent cover out there)

There was a recall on the Husky's lapbelt-only installation years ago; long belt path with lapelt was acceptable at first, then they said only the short belt path+recline bar could be used with a lapbelt-only install. They sent out stickers that went on the sides of the cover, over the existing labels. Pretty tacky-looking, but it got the job done, I guess.

scout

I was just out trying to re-install my "old" (2005) Regent with the short belt path . I just can't; I think it's that the seat belt binds in the belt-tongue piece and I just can't get it tight enough to call it "acceptable."

Anyway, while I was working on it, I noticed that my new (arrived yesterday -- DOM 6/27) Madison Regent has a really shiny installation instruction label on the side; at first I thought it was plastic, but then I looked closer, and it's a STICKER that's been stuck onto the fabric label.

I don't know what I'm going to do if they send me a new label for the old Regent. I just can't get the short belt path to work.

Jennifer

Cindy&Connor

They sent out stickers that went on the sides of the cover, over the existing labels. Pretty tacky-looking, but it got the job done, I guess.

I hate to be a whiner but I don't want a stupid sticker on the side of my $269 carseat. :mad: I should probably just shut up until I hear what's going to happen on Monday. Above all else I want ds to be safe and if the new rules will make him safer of course I'll do it.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I don't know what we will do if they require short belt path for over 40lbs. That will force us to put dd#1 into a booster in dh truck. We just can't get an acceptable install with the short belt path no matter what I try.

My friend right now is stuck with a $270 Madison Regent sitting in her livingroom waiting a call back from Britax. Her vehicle seatbelt is to short to do LBP for her 35lb dd. But, Her dd is very long torsoed and has outgrown her current CarGo. So right now she has her 4yr old in the CarGo as a booster. Not really what she wanted to do but what she is having to do until she knows what she can do.

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
Crud. I just spent yesterday afternoon helping a mom who got a Regent through the Kyle David Miller Foundation. She is 1.5 hours from my house and it will be difficult to get together with her again if the installation method I taught her according to the manual with her seat is going to be recalled.
Renee

oxeye

Anyway, while I was working on it, I noticed that my new (arrived yesterday -- DOM 6/27) Madison Regent has a really shiny installation instruction label on the side; at first I thought it was plastic, but then I looked closer, and it's a STICKER that's been stuck onto the fabric label.

Oh I'm sorry but I think that is really tacky on Britax's part! :mad:

I just checked the Madison cover that came with my 6/8/07 seat and it is not a sticker on the cover, it is a piece of fabric sewn on.

I didn't spend $260 on a carseat to put a sticker on the cover. The shell of the seat, fine - but not the cover.

I won't do it. I'll save the sticker to put on the covers if I ever sell them (not likely, LOL) but I'm not putting the sticker on the covers while I'm using them. No way.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I stopped by USA Baby this afternoon. I know the manager very well and we talked for a bit. I asked her about any memo from Britax on the Regent or pulling the Regent off the floor. She knew nothing of any memo. The regional manager just happened to be in the store today so she asked her. The regional manager didn't know anything either and hadn't gotten any memo from corp or Britax.

They both were a little stunned and too want to know more too. They really push the Regent on older toddlers so they don't want to sale a seat that isn't safe either.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Oh I'm sorry but I think that is really tacky on Britax's part! :mad:

I just checked the Madison cover that came with my 6/8/07 seat and it is not a sticker on the cover, it is a piece of fabric sewn on.

I didn't spend $260 on a carseat to put a sticker on the cover. The shell of the seat, fine - but not the cover.

I won't do it. I'll save the sticker to put on the covers if I ever sell them (not likely, LOL) but I'm not putting the sticker on the covers while I'm using them. No way.

You an me both! I don't my beloved Cougar to have some tacky sticker on it. I truly think the notice will be on the brand new Regents and not on our seats.

Connor's Mom

I just had a thought and sorry if has already been talked about.

Do you think that they could be recalling or issuing a "notification" regarding the NEW manuals? It would make sense since the wording in the new manuals are so screwball. And, the "old" instillation instructions have obviously been working very safely for many years through both the Husky and the Regent.
These new instructions just don't make sense and the areas where they contradict themselves regarding the weights is very odd . :confused:

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
I called BuyBuyBaby near us in Springfield VA and talked to two employees - one regular employee and then she put the department manager on the phone. Neither one of them had heard of any recall or gotten a memo... Either it hasn't gone out yet or there's some confusion about what the recall/notice is about. :cool:

Mama2J

I don't understand. I thought the long belt path was the most secure installation. Wouldn't that make it best for heavier kids, along with the top tether? It doesn't affect us right now, because we are using LATCH, but it will once he gets bigger. Also if we install it in another car without LATCH, we would have used the long path.

Oh well, I supposed everyone is wondering the same thing right now. I'll keep checking back for any news, and see if I get anything in the mail from Britax.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC