Broken leg WWYD?

todzwife

DD is almost 2, will be at the end of the month. She fell today and broke her leg. She's in a split up to her thigh and her leg is pretty much straight. I can't get her RFing in her Radian. I put her in her sister's Frontier for the ride to/from but she's nowhere near the weight minimum (she's only 23 pounds)

What do I do? We're looking at 6 weeks like this! I was planning on her RFing for a LONG time!

ADS

Pixels

Forward facing in the Radian would be preferable over the Frontier.

I assume that 23 pounds is her uncasted weight. What's her casted weight?

A pic of her showing the cast would help.

tiggercat

Is she in a captains chair or bench seat? Is it permissible to recline the vehicle seat a notch or two to give extra leg space? My 2.5 yr old can stretch his legs out straight in his radian with his feet propped up on the vehicle seat, what specifically is stopping her from fitting? Pics would be helpful :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

todzwife

She's in a hard splint right now
zoeybrokenleg.jpg

But I'm assuming the cast will be similar.

todzwife

The minimum on the frontier is actually 25 pounds, which she is with clothes and a cast. So for now, I'll probably put her in it since it has a long leg depth.

If after they cast it, I find that I can get her in the RN RFing, I'll turn her back around :) Thanks!

soygurl

The minimum on the frontier is actually 25 pounds, which she is with clothes and a cast. So for now, I'll probably put her in it since it has a long leg depth.

If after they cast it, I find that I can get her in the RN RFing, I'll turn her back around :) Thanks!

True, but the Frontier also has a minimum age of 2 years. I know your DD is really close to that, but I'd still rather use the RN FF if you need to, and rig up some leg support like Judi suggested. I know there are pics of how KetchupQueen did it for her DD after their crash. :twocents:

Brigala

CPST Instructor
You might talk to the doctor doing the cast and ask him if it's all the same whether the cast is placed with the leg straight or bent. If it doesn't matter, let him know that a bent cast would make it easier for her to be in her car seat.

I wonder whether a Hippo seat would work better? Never seen one in person so I'm just throwing it out there. Perhaps the hospital would have one to rent? If I recall, it RFs to 30 or 35 lbs, right?

soygurl

You might talk to the doctor doing the cast and ask him if it's all the same whether the cast is placed with the leg straight or bent. If it doesn't matter, let him know that a bent cast would make it easier for her to be in her car seat.

I wonder whether a Hippo seat would work better? Never seen one in person so I'm just throwing it out there. Perhaps the hospital would have one to rent? If I recall, it RFs to 30 or 35 lbs, right?

I'm pretty sure it RFs to 33 lbs, but possibly 35.

henrietta

I would assume they will cast it w/her knee slightly bent, as it's far more comfortable for it to be that way for an extended period of time. And I'd ask for it to be that way, unless there's a reason for it not to be.

And speaking from experience (several months in a cast that went to mid thigh), being straight would have been AWFUL, b/c I couldn't have slept on my back w/my leg propped up. I'd have to have slept sitting up, w/my leg straight out. UGH.

Although I'd love to see her rearfacing b/c of her age, I can totally understand that it will be difficult to get her into her seat w/o hurting her, at least until it's more healed. You could make a tripod out of pool noodles, run a string thru them, use the Radian forward facing, and run that string thru the rear facing belt path. It would make a leg rest, a gentle incline down to a large pack of tp, pile of pillows, or rolled sleeping bags.

Poor baby...hope it doesn't hurt too much and heals very fast!

henrietta

susanx4

When my 2 year broke her leg, she had room to rearface in a truefit but not a marathon i would think she would have room in the radian!, but if not, i think i would ff her in that!

TyAndCheyMommy

I just wanted to say- if you would like a Britax Hippo seat to use I could FFS one to you. My daughter got it after she had leg surgery and is no longer in the casts.

ntrenary

When my youngest son broke his leg at 2 years old he was able to RF in the Radian. I put a travel pillow on the arm rest of the captain seat of my van, and he rested his leg there.
He broke his right leg(going down a slide with my DH,just to warn other parents not to do this:) and the cast was more bent at the knee, but I think even if his cast was more straight it would have worked.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I can dig up pics of our awesome leg support (she needed it elevated because she had a cut on her foot at the same time and a non-weight-bearing cast) but it sounds like she doesn't need elevation or as much support- an easier idea for just a little more support with a radian if RF won't work is a balance/exercise ball, inflated or deflated as needed for comfort. Good luck!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Also, what bone is broken? We were told the first hard cast would be a thigh height too, but after further x-rays they were able to revise to just below the knee with the hard (so much more comfortable!) So that might be a possibility if it's one of the lower bones, and not too close to the knee... I hope it all works out!

thtr4me

Oh no! So sorry to hear she broke her leg. Hope she heals quickly! Best of luck with getting her situated in the car while she heals.

jubgulia

Assuming it's the tibia, as a femur would require a spica or splint up to the waist. If so, I would very firmly request casting in a comfortable seated position.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC