Britax Marathon vs Boulevard-BBB keeps talking us out of Boulevard

ChicagoJami

I'm so frustrated. A sales associate at BBB talked us out of the Boulevard. She said people keep returning it because the kids don't like having their view blocked and some are uncomfortable because of the side impact pillows. She said the ones on the Marathon are the same, just as safe and less intrusive.

What say you carseat.org. How are you all liking your Boulevards? Our baby is 11 months old and has great head control, but it flops around so much in the Marathon and makes me wonder what would happen if we were in a crash.

I wish there was something I could just add to the Marathon to better protect her head from the side to side movement. The Boulevard is only $50 more so we don't mind paying that for the added safety. What are your thoughts?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The BBB employee is right. There are no side impact standards, and no known safety benefit to the wings. Doesn't mean there isn't one, but it's a hypothetical, if anything.

Side to side head resting is not unsafe. In a collision it won't matter where your child's head is. It's going to move inches and inches in any and all directions on the impact and rebound.

The Marathon is a fine seat. If you want something arguably "safer" you could look at a longer term rear facing seat. The Britaxes are not super tall and some parents are forced to turn their children forward facing sooner than they'd like. If you have a smaller 11 month old then no problem. But there are seats that are cheaper that are longer lasting rear and forward facing than any Britaxes, with more leg room, that install in similar ways or are not more difficult.

Wendy

MAJ

I can say as far as comfort, we just moved my 21 month old daughter from her about-to-expire Marathon to a new Advocate (basically a Boulevard with the exterior side cushions), and she hasn't complained or seemed to mind the extra head wings at all. She looks extremely comfy and cozy in her new seat. Even if she did mind, I really feel like they provide some extra protection, so I would've kept it anyway. :)

gigi

My kid always liked the Boulevard wings. For #2, I plan to get a Boulevard or Advocate...or a Peg Perego. Anything I pick will have head wings.

thtr4me

I love the wings on my Boulevard. Great sleeping headrests! DS has only had headwings in our primary cars, so does not know the difference.

We have a Roundabout in our third vehicle, and I have no qualms about using the seat. It is a great seat and fit the requirements we had for a seat in that vehicle.

jjordan

I personally love the BV wings. Occasionally I have heard of a kid who didn't like them, but I think that most kids don't mind.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I'm not sure I quite understand, are you buying a new seat and choosing between the MA and BV? Or is your baby currently in a MA and you're wanting to get a BV instead? If the latter, I personally wouldn't spend money on a BV if I owned a perfectly good MA.

My 7 month old is in a MA and we don't have issues with her head flopping around. If she sleeps, her head just tilts a bit to lean on the side. I usually sit beside her and her head stays there.

While I can't say for sure that the headwings would have bothered her, she constantly forces herself more upright in any seat, stroller, etc. with any recline. This works for her in the MA but I suspected the BV headwings would be in her way so bought the MA instead. If your baby doesn't have this habit, she'll likely be fine with the headwings.

I may have opted for the BV if I was ever going to use the seat FF, but it's not likely I will so the MA was fine for us.

crlbrns1

I LOVE our boulevard. I know some people say that side impact makes no difference but in my mind from a physics (crash force) perspective I can't see how it wouldnt protect better. If nothing else I think the extra protection around her head would protect her better from flying or intrusive debris in an accident. In my mind it's the same concept as having side airbags in a car. Since my 29 month old neice is rf in the middle (and wedged btwn her brothers) she doesn't get the side curtain airbags so side impact on her seat can't hurt her. (Actually all 3 kids have side impact protection on thier seats -I love it). She loves the boulevard also. She rides ff in an older EB 3 in 1 with minimal headrests in her parent's car so if any child is going to complain it would be her! However, she has NEVER complained about rfing in the boulevard in my car. She even took a weekend trip across the country with me - 16/17 hrs in the car one way and then back again just 5 days later with lots of driving around while there. Her only complaint was her brothers picking on her or taking her toys!! She (and her brothers) sleep SO comfortably in their seats with the side impact protection - MUCH better than in their seats in their parent's van.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC