Question britax G4 Boulevard installation problem

U

Unregistered

We just purchased a britax boulevard G4 for our daughter who is turning 1. She is only 18lbs so she still has room in her B-Safe but I wanted to get it so we could start to slowly transition her. In looking at it now that I have it home I am confused as to what to do with the tether. She will be rear racing obviously but I ideally do not want the tether going over top of her. I can install it in either our 2008 Town and Country or our 2013 Hyundai Sante Fe (I get to drive the vehicle the car seat fits into best). Has anyone installed into either of these vehicles and if so how did you tether it or is the tether not necessary?

Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi there.

I agree, the Australian tether method is very awkward. If you can do it the Swedish style, that'd be far more convenient. If not, I'd just leave it untethered. The seat is perfectly safe without.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBfFGtUAtRg"]BRITAX Convertible Car Seats: Installation Using Versa-Tether - YouTube[/ame]

Wendy

Keeks64

We just purchased a britax boulevard G4 for our daughter who is turning 1. She is only 18lbs so she still has room in her B-Safe but I wanted to get it so we could start to slowly transition her. In looking at it now that I have it home I am confused as to what to do with the tether. She will be rear racing obviously but I ideally do not want the tether going over top of her. I can install it in either our 2008 Town and Country or our 2013 Hyundai Sante Fe (I get to drive the vehicle the car seat fits into best). Has anyone installed into either of these vehicles and if so how did you tether it or is the tether not necessary? Thanks!

Hi There

Are you in Canada or the US?

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
From the IP address, it looks like the original poster is indeed in Canada, and Britax does require rear tethering on their G4 seats in Canada. I'll let a Canadian tech handle it from here...

canadiangie

Hello and welcome. :)

We are just wrapping our collective brains around Britax's new rule that G4 convertibles be tethered at all times. You have likely already read the lengthy thread here in the Canadian forum regarding mandatory tethering, as well you might have noticed the thread regarding the use of a d-ring (for Swedish style rear faced tethering) in Chrysler vehicles.

For your Town & Country you will need to Australian style tether her car seat. You cannot Swedish style tether using the d-ring. If you are unable to correctly Australian style tether (the tether strap is too short for example) you will need to call Britax Canada and get specific direction on what to do. We as technicians are not sure what to suggest at this point.

For the Sante Fe, I'm not sure if Hyundai has a formal restriction about using a d-ring, but I can tell you that they have not ever offered formal permission. Generally speaking we are cautious about Swedish style tethering mainly due to speculation about advanced airbag interference from the use of a d-ring wrapped around a front seat rail. Vehicles made after about 05/06 typically have advanced airbag technology. Additionally, the front seat rail is not an approved tether anchor location in any vehicle I can think of. Your best bet will be to Australian style tether in the Hyundai.

Hope that is helpful.

U

Unregistered

Thank you all for the information. I am in Canada and really disappointed because I bought the britax for it's ease of install. I am only 5'1 and my daughter is not a fan of her car seat at the best of times so I don't know how I will get her in around the tether straps now. I wish this new requirement would have been clear as I likely would have bought another seat.

tiggercat

Thank you all for the information. I am in Canada and really disappointed because I bought the britax for it's ease of install. I am only 5'1 and my daughter is not a fan of her car seat at the best of times so I don't know how I will get her in around the tether straps now. I wish this new requirement would have been clear as I likely would have bought another seat.

When did you purchase the seat? You may be able to exchange or return it.

You may still be able to find some G3s on clearance.

Oh, and you may want to give Britax feedback on this issue!

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
If you are able to exchange or return, look at the Peg Perego convertible. It has an anti-rebound bar built in and so a tether for rear facing is not required. It's also easy to install, the harness is even easier to tighten/loosen than Britax seats (which are also easy) and it will provide more leg room and I believe more height as well over the Britax seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC