Question Britax Boulevard 70 Vs Diono Radian RXT

Cucú

Need your help!!
I am trying to get my best choice, as I am not available to go direct to a store to try the car seats, so I need to make my best guess and buy one thru internet...
My daughter is 19months old, 25lbs, 31"tall..
After months of research I do find the 2 top options for me, which are:
Britax Boulevard 70 & Diono Radian RXT
What I want to find is:
Comfort for my baby (well padded seat, cup holder, reclining positions in rear and forward facing) + Breathable fabrics (I live in a very very warm city) and washable covers + Reclining position in RF and FF position is very important to me, as my D likes to take naps in the car + I need to be sure that the car seat fits my car (mazda 3, sedan model 2007) + Safety, off course!!
It is not so important to me if after 3 years I need to buy another one, actually, I think it will be better, as I can improve anything that I dislike about the model I will choose, I am not interested in get a car seat only because it will be the last seat I buy.. I rather to buy a very comfy seat, no matter if I need another one in a few years! .. I can pay up to $300 .. the latch system is not a problem..
I really find very interesting the Britax, as it seems it has everything but the fabrics!! I can’t believe it, but they don’t have any breathable fabrics (cotton, cotton blend, mesh or something like that), and it seems they only use nylon and velour and fabrics which can be soft but not fresh... That was the only reason that makes me push to look for more options, then, thanks to all of you, I find the Radians, which it seems has a better fabrics and more cooler sensation feel, but it seems is not to well padded and could be a little bit large to fit my car..

:confused:Does any of you have experiences with these 2 car seats? Boulevard 70 and Diono Radian RXT?
Someone can tell me if the radian seat is padded enough to be comfy?
Does anyone have a Mazda 3 sedan and some of these two car seat models?
Can you please, share your experiences?

Thanks a lot for all your help!

ADS

firemomof3

I love our RXT and now with the new angle adjustor, it fits just about anywhere :D I have the cobalt cover and its very breathable, I'm not so sure about the blvd covers...hopefully someone else will chime in.
The RXT will allow you to keep your daughter rf longer then the blvd. which is the safest way for her to travel. I've use our RXT ff and my son fell asleep fine and finds it comfy.

justKate

As far as longevity, definitely go with the Radian RXT.

HOWEVER, I really like the padding under DD's rear in the Boulevard, and I don't know how the padding is under the rear end on the Radians. But unless you'll be passing the Boulevard down (I think it will be outgrown by height significantly before the Radian), I'd say go with the Radian RXT for sure.

:)

Brigala

CPST Instructor
The Radians don't look as padded, but they have memory foam padding and they're a lot cushier than they look. What appears to be padding in a picture in most car seats is just bulky plastic shell. The Radian uses a steel frame instead of a plastic frame, essentially, eliminating all that extra bulk without eliminating comfort.

Honestly, both options are good ones for you. But I personally prefer the Radian to the Britax.

T4K

I'm going to say the Britax. I think any of the plushish, denim like covers would be great in hot weather. The mesh ones seem to snag easily and most people don't like them.

I would say radian BUT, they just seem to have so many funny installation quirks. The britax should get most kids until 3 rearfacing and you said you don't mind buying another seat.

If your car ever breaks down or you travel or you want to install in someone else's car, the britax will most always fit. And be easy to install.

mrosehughes

I have an older generation britax in cowmoo plush fabric and a radian XTSL in flora for DS. I would definitely get the radian. The britax is a bit 'plusher' feeling, which we liked when DS was less than 1 year, but we started to really have to fold him into the britax very early on because there's so little leg room -- at one point recently he even complained about his legs in the britax. Plus, he's close to outgrowing the britax RFing by height (and already has, by weight), and he's still got a few inches in his radian.

I'd definitely get an angle adjuster if you get the radian. It's 10 bucks and makes it much more upright, which is generally great for a toddler.

Syllieann

The radian will last longer rf and now that the angle adjuster is available I don't think it takes up any more room than the bv70, at least in my car it doesn't. My 3 yo prefers the radian a million to 1 because he says his legs are squished in the bv70. He is perfectly comfy on long trips in the radian and he really likes that he can climb in the radian himself, something he can't do w/ the bv70 due to the deep sides. Our bv70 is plush moo and I have to admit that I like it much better than the radian cover (ventura) but perhaps the new diono covers are nicer. I also have comparison pics here. It seems people often come down to these 2 choices.

Last edited:

aym4Him

I hope you don't mind me horning in on your conversation..

I was looking at BBB today for a 2nd seat for my 3 yr old (36" tall 27 1/2 lbs) and he really pushed the BLVD saying that the convertible seat was the way to go b/c it would offer more side protection around his legs/bottom b/c of how the sides come up (I was looking at seats like the Frontier, Smart Seat, etc). I mentioned the Diono and he steered me back towards the BLVD b/c he said it offered more protection.

What are your thoughts on that? I never even thought of getting a 2nd convertible b/c I wanted to get a seat that would last until I didn't need another but, as someone else pointed out in another thread, I can always get a dedicated booster later- and they are pretty cheap.

Thanks!

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I've heard BBB employees get lectured for not pushing Britax seats.

The main reason I would steer away from a Frontier is because it doesn't rear-face. And besides, it has a minimum age requirement of 2 years old. It might make sense that he'd push a Britax convertible instead of a Frontier, though, because if you get the convertible now you might be back later for a Frontier, but if you get the Frontier you'll never need another car seat (but I'm NOT recommending it). In fact, if you get a Radian you might not need another seat until booster age.

ETA: My overdistracted brain mixed your post with the OP's and I was thinking you had a <2 year old. Seriously, if you have a 3 year old, get the Frontier if you want it. Not a Smart Seat; it won't last as long as a booster. And you can get a Frontier for around $215 online usually (and sometimes less if you're lucky) so it's a lot more economical.

aym4Him

I've heard BBB employees get lectured for not pushing Britax seats.
That's probably true! Now that I think of it, whenever we were in search of a seat, Britax is the one we were steered toward..
ETA: My overdistracted brain mixed your post with the OP's and I was thinking you had a <2 year old. Seriously, if you have a 3 year old, get the Frontier if you want it. Not a Smart Seat; it won't last as long as a booster. And you can get a Frontier for around $215 online usually (and sometimes less if you're lucky) so it's a lot more economical.

That's ok! I understand. I kind of butted into the convo ;-)

I'm researching myself to death. I just want to get the right seat for my boy and there are a lot to choose from. In your opinion, given his dimensions, do you think the Frontier is too big of a seat for him- or should we put it in my hubs' car for a 2nd seat and keep him RF in the Marathon until he gets a lil bigger? You can send me a message if you want so we don't clutter up this thread any more than we already have (sorry again!!).

Dani_mummy

We have a 2007 Mazda3 4door and a RadianXT. My daughter is 26 months and RF. We usually have the seat installed in our SUV as that's our main "family" vehicle but we have used the Radian in the mazda 3 several times. Without the angle adjuster, the recline is quite a bit and pushes the front seat right up. With the angle adjuster, it fits great and lots of leg room up front still. We have it installed with the seatbelt, with the belt stock twisted but it's in there good.

Cucú

I have an older generation britax in cowmoo plush fabric and a radian XTSL in flora for DS. I would definitely get the radian. The britax is a bit 'plusher' feeling, which we liked when DS was less than 1 year, but we started to really have to fold him into the britax very early on because there's so little leg room -- at one point recently he even complained about his legs in the britax. Plus, he's close to outgrowing the britax RFing by height (and already has, by weight), and he's still got a few inches in his radian.

I'd definitely get an angle adjuster if you get the radian. It's 10 bucks and makes it much more upright, which is generally great for a toddler.

How old are your ds?

lawgirl5

I noticed you want a seat with reclining positions for both RF and FF. I just got my Britax Boulevard 70 and according to the manual, the seat MUST be in the 3rd recline position for RF. You can use either 1 or 2 for FF. Just to let you know. It sounds like you wanted something that you could adjust whenever.

U

Unregistered

So if comparing the marathon to radian w/ angle adjuster ... Which is more compact front to back ( which would allow the seat to be back the farthest? My hubby has long legs and it's got to go behind the drivers side Honda civic. ). We have tried the marathon and it fits but was curious if the radian w angle adjuster was smaller still. The radian I saw was much bigger but it did not have an aa

QUOTE=Syllieann;2140430]The radian will last longer rf and now that the angle adjuster is available I don't think it takes up any more room than the bv70, at least in my car it doesn't. My 3 yo prefers the radian a million to 1 because he says his legs are squished in the bv70. He is perfectly comfy on long trips in the radian and he really likes that he can climb in the radian himself, something he can't do w/ the bv70 due to the deep sides. Our bv70 is plush moo and I have to admit that I like it much better than the radian cover (ventura) but perhaps the new diono covers are nicer. I also have comparison pics here. It seems people often come down to these 2 choices.[/QUOTE]

Syllieann

In my odyssey, they take up the same space front to back when the BV70 is installed w/ the line parallel, which I think is 37.5* and the rn is installed w/ angle adjuster. When the bv70 is installed at 30*, it still takes up less room than the rn. Keep in mind that on the britax seats, you are installing at an angle relative to horizontal. With the radian, you install and just get what you get. Then you add the angle adjuster and again, it is whatever it is. In my odyssey, the seats are quite flat so w/out the angle adjuster, the rn is about 45* and w/ the angle adjuster it is about 35*. In another vehicle w/ more slanted seats, the most upright for the britax will still be 30* so that won't change but the radian might install at 40* w/out the angle adjuster and 30* w/ the angle adjuster, which might make the difference between taking more space than the britax and taking less space. They also hit the front seats at different places so if you have headrests that angle forward, you may find that the radian doesn't require the front seat to be any further forward even though it takes more room.

J

Jon

I have 2 Britax Boulevard 65's and have just purchased the Diono Ranier.

I love most of the Diono features, but I will recommend the Britax without hesitation.

There are 2 reasons for this:

1) The Diono does not fit in either of my cars properly. I have a 2011 Chrysler 300 and a 2006 Magnum, both of which have the latch anchors too close to the seat height to allow for proper tightening without putting together a half assed spacer which will probably nullify the safety gains of this seat. The Britax has fit into several vehicles easily and can be tightened effectively in all of my experience.

2) Britax has provided excellent customer service, replacing the Frontier model we have when the straps seemed to be malfunctioning. I have yet to get a response from Diono's online customer care, and of course, these products cannot be returned to the store.

Overall, I feel that it is not unreasonable to expect the safety systems of my cars and the car seats to work together, rather than leave me hesitant about the fit.

We put a lot of highway miles on our cars so I want car seats I can feel good about

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I'm not sure what you mean by spacer. A Radian will install in both those cars with no MacGyvering. You are correct in thinking that adding something to the install is not safe. Can you please post a picture of what you have going on so we can better guide you in how to correct your install?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC